Chapter 32

Treat My Heart Right

"I'm glad you're safe!" Mrs. Jung hugs her youngest son when he was brought home. Instead of his apartment, the police had sent him to his family's house. As much as he detested it, he had kept quiet throughout the journey. It's already 6 in the morning, and he feels dead tired. He stays still when his mom hugs him, and he doesn't seem as happy as the last time he met his mom.

Daehyun's family got the shock of their lives when the police came knocking at their door, informing that Hyunshik is a criminal; that his own brother was the victim. Mr. Jung had excused himself to his study, off to calm his mind. Mrs. Jung thanked the police briefly and quickly brought his youngest son in.

"He's probably still in shock, just give him time." Jiwook appears, bringing in a cup of coffee for Daehyun. 

Daehyun looks at the cup of coffee but doesn't take it. His eyes flick towards Jiwook, trying to make his brother understand, but Jiwook doesn't get the signal. 

"Why, what's wrong? You don't... drink coffee?"

Daehyun sighs heavily and pushes back the cup of coffee towards his brother. "Hyung, I can't tolerate caffeine well." 

"Oh, I... I didn't know that." 

"Of course you don't, that's your problem. You don't know your own brother," he replies, cold. 

Jiwook tries to understand his younger brother's situation. He must be mad, frustrated, after finding out that the brother he loved the most is a criminal. Jiwook is shocked too; Hyunshik is always so calm and composed it never crossed his mind he would do that. He must have had a lot of hatred towards the both of them. Daehyun rests his neck against the sofa, while their mom grips his hands tightly.

"I can't believe Hyunshik hyung would do that..."

Mrs. Jung and Jiwook look at each other, both at a loss for words. They didn't foresee it either. Mrs. Jung signals Jiwook to go make another drink for Daehyun, and he sets off. Daehyun puts his head in his hands, and Mrs. Jung proceeds to rub his back. Most of the time, a mother doesn't need any words to communicate with their children. Even a simple gesture can show their utmost love. Daehyun sighs heavily. He puts a hand over his mouth, forbidding himself from crying. He's had enough of crying. 

Jiwook emerges from the kitchen holding a cup of warm tea. "Here... you... go..." He's careful not to set his brother off, but to his surprise, the youngest smiles. 

"Thanks... Hyung." 

He sips the hot drink carefully, enjoying the warmth flooding his throat. The steam from the drink calms him down, and he sets down the cup after finishing it. He presses his lips together.

Mr. Jung eventually comes out of his study, his face looking tight as ever. He’s always known as someone who can’t express his feeling correctly, so Daehyun can’t read his mind on whether he’s feeling angry or relieved. Daehyun studies his father’s wrinkly face, expecting to find an answer. Mrs. Jung and Jiwook can only be the spectators as Mr. Jung squeezes his youngest son’s shoulder, and gives off a feeble smile.

“A million apologies would not compensate for what had happened to you all this while. I’m largely at fault, son. I’ve been keeping a criminal under our roof, while I kick out the victim. I’m sorry I’ve never been good to you. I’m not doing a good job at being a father.”

Daehyun pulls his father’s hand to offer him to sit beside him, and Mrs. Jung gives space to his husband. Mrs. Jung scoots further, letting the two family members have their moment.

“Dad, don’t say that. You did the right choice by sending me away. Can you imagine what could have happened if I actually live under the same roof as Hyunshik hyung? If you didn’t send me away, I would have not experienced all of this, I wouldn’t have met-“ the words get stuck for a while in his throat as he forces himself to spit them out, “-Sooyoung. I have learnt so much because of what I went through. Now I’m grateful it’s over. But Hyunshik hyung was right; I never had to do anything to get what I want. Basically everything came to me easily. It’s time for me to actually work for what I want.”

Yongguk sets down the picture of him and Jiyoon together back on his table. The picture was taken roughly one month ago, when Jiyoon’s heart surgery was a success. Although Jiyoon was looking debilitated, the smile she radiates lights up her whole face. Oh, how Yongguk wish that she would give him the time of the day, or just a second, to look at him again with that smile. After what happened Jiyoon doesn’t like being around him for too long, but he can’t accuse her for being that way. He understands why she’s acting that way.

He doesn’t like being in the dark, not knowing how long she’ll act that way. Maybe he should wait around longer for Jiyoon to cool down, but he doesn’t like waiting for something he’s unsure of. Jiyoon had trusted him so much, but he himself demolished the pillar of trust she had for him. It was his fault that he didn’t elucidate the situation to her before everything gets out of hand.

How is he supposed to fix everything when it’s all broken? He’s a doctor who has saved people’s lives before, but he doesn’t know how to salvage his own life.

He goes over to his closet, and scours through his clothes. He searches high and low for a box, the one where he had kept so dearly. After he’s soaked in his own sweat, ultimately he finds the box. He opens it with trembling hands, revealing the content of the box. There was a car key, and beside it was a small box. He fishes out the car key and the small box, while putting the big box away. He snaps open the small box and there lays two necklaces, with two couple lockets. One is the shape of the moon, while the other is the shape of a star.

He rubs the lockets in between his forefinger and his thumb, feeling the texture. He puts it back into the small box, snaps it shut and puts it into his doctor’s coat pocket. He eyes the car keys in his hand; it was the car keys to Daehyun’s car. It reminds him of the choice he made.

He was forced to do it, but at the same time it was his own decision. Hyunshik had made an offer that he couldn’t resist in exchange for Daehyun’s life. Blinded by the offer, he bluntly accepted it. He wished he could turn back time, to mend the cracks. Although at the same time, he knows he didn’t have much choice back then.

Hyunshik being his friend wasn’t the reason he agreed to do it.

He was so desperate to save Jiyoon, to find a heart donor. Jiyoon was in such a critical condition he needed to find a donor quick. It was hard for him, and somehow Hyunshik knew he was searching really hard. He came up to him, claiming that he knows someone who would donate her heart voluntarily. He needed no details; all he needed to know was whether it was compatible. Only, under one condition. He needed to take someone’s life away, and that someone happens to be Hyunshik’s own brother, Jung Daehyun. Considering he has barely any other alternatives, they came up with an agreement.

He may not show it. He may have disguised it so easily with the image of a really caring brother, but he wished to be more than that. He loves Jiyoon with all his heart, but he doesn’t think that she will ever treat him more than a brother. Plus, after what happened, it won’t be easy to approach her anymore. She has lost her trust towards him. He has no one to blame other than himself. He had to jump blindly in order to keep her alive. He couldn’t bear to lose her, after seeing her battling with her heart condition for years. He had to find a way, even though it means putting his own life in danger.

To him, it’s fine if she doesn’t understand what he was trying to do. In fact, he’s all right with Jiyoon blaming him for the rest of her life. If she will be able to live her life without suffering from the heart condition, he will be more than happy to walk away from her. If back then, he was trying his best to take care of her heart, now he will try his hardest to put things back into their places.

He loves her so much he would do anything for her; he would take any chances just to see her happy again. He would accept whatever comes next, including the fact that she would never be by his side. He would be more than delighted if he’s able to see her smile again, even though standing beside another man.

Because if he’s not the one who can make her happy, he would at least want to be the one to make her fall in love with someone that can make her happy. He wants them to start over; whatever that happened in Daehyun’s dream. It would be stupid for him to expect her to have feelings for Daehyun, but it’s worth a try.

Jung Daehyun might be the guy that can take care of her heart.

He needs to bring them together.

And maybe, after that, he’ll quietly disappear.


I was so emotional when I wrote this chapter, I kid you not. Somehow I felt Yongguk's pain T.T It's funny considering I was the one who made him like this. Ahhhh I'm sorry to those who feel the story is going downhill because honestly that's what I'm feeling. But I'm still grateful I was able to come up with more chapters. Of course, I'm also thankful towards my subscribers! I just want to tell you that I love every single one of you; I never thought anyone would actually read my story. Anyway, I want to inform you guys that I might not be able to write for around one month because I'm having my finals and it's really important to me. There will be a one-week break during the exam season, so I'll try to find the time to write and update aside from battling with my books! I hope you guys will stay until the end of the story. (Also, do you guys watch Fated to Love You? I just finished the last episode today and I have mixed feelings. I'll miss Gun and Miyoung. They're so cute together! I truly recommend the drama; it made me cry during most of the episodes.) Enough of me babbling, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Since I'm (kind of) going to be on a hiatus, I hope you guys won't leave. I do wish that you guys can wait for me to update the next chapter and so on. And wish me luck for my finals! :)