Chapter 10

Treat My Heart Right

He comes back home to the smell of something cooking, and he almost freaks out because he's pretty sure he lives alone in the house. After a bit of tiptoeing around the house, he finally remembers that Jiyoon is still at his house. The punch he received yesterday must've had some effect on his memory. He shakes his head at his own silliness. He quietly enters the dining room, and wait patiently while she cooks. His body straightens when he sees her holding the tray, a bowl of steaming porridge on it. She places it on the table, and pulls back the chair. She sits on it, and brings the bowl closer to her. When she picks up the spoon, Daehyun's shoulders sag as he realizes it's not for him. She doesn't acknowledge him and proceeds to stir the porridge in front of her. He bites his lip when the smell of the porridge enters his nose. 

"What are you doing there?" she finally says. 

"I just came to see what you're going to eat." There's no way he's going to admit that he actually assumed the bowl of porridge to be his. 

"You actually thought this is for you, didn't you?" Jiyoon traps him. 

He nods, admitting defeat. He gets up but stops when Jiyoon chuckles. "I'm just kidding, of course it's for you. It's still hot, so be careful." She serves the bowl to him, and he nearly jumps because he's too happy. At least he has something to fill his stomach. 

Since he's too impatient to wait for the porridge to cool, he starts eating immediately, grabbing a spoonful. "It's hot- hot- hot- I need water!" He frantically flaps his hands and she rolls her eyes at his action. 

"I told you to be careful," she says when he finishes a whole glass of water. 

He grins and continues eating. "It's really delicious, you must be really good at cooking," he praises. She only smiles but on the inside she's exploding with fireworks. The man in front of him just praised her cooking, and if that's not a reason to get flattered, she doesn't know what is.

"Sooyoung's great at cooking too," he adds. The smile on her face disappears. While he's concentrating on the bowl in front of him, she's looking at him with a look of desperation. No matter what she does, she only reminds him of Sooyoung. forms a straight line and she gets up from her chair.

"I'm going to watch the television if that's okay with you."

"Sure, don't you want to eat together?"

"I already ate just now." Truth is, she didn't, and now she doesn't have the appetite to. She goes away, thinking that Daehyun doesn't notice her cold reaction. 

Daehyun sees her movements from the corner of his eyes. He notices everything; it's just that he pretends he doesn't. 

...

"Doctor Yongguk? Doctor?" Nayoung waves her hand in front of him. The doctor snaps into reality and finds all of the nurses at the counter are staring at him. 


"Ye- yes? What did you say just now?" he tries to hide his embarrassment. 

Nayoung shakes his head and checks the computer. "You asked me about the surgeries you have for today and I explained it to you."

"Ah, that... Can you... Explain it again? I didn't hear some parts." More like all of the parts. 

Nayoung feels irritated but explains it thoroughly again. It's her job anyway. She notices that Doctor Yongguk isn't in his right mind since Jiyoon left. The doctor didn't even concentrate when she explained the details for the surgeries he's supposed to carry out today. Something must have happened with Jiyoon until he seems disoriented. Usually, Doctor Yongguk is someone who will listen to the nurses with 100% concentration. He even forgot to lock his office when he finished his shift yesterday. She knows well that Yongguk isn't someone who forgets small things like that. 

"I don't think you can carry out those surgeries," Doctor Jinhwan, Yongguk's fellow colleague appears beside him. He hands the clipboard with his patient's details to the nurse. "You know what, I'll take over those surgeries. You can go home and sort yourself out."

"I can do the surgeries," he says, although he's unsure of it himself. 

"You forgot to lock your office yesterday, you said you would eat later when I invinted you to eat together, but the nurses stated you didn't even come out off your office until you finished your shift, you forgot to do your last round to check your patients' conditions, you left your phone beside the sink in the toilet..." Jinhwan lists all of the reasons on why he thinks that Yongguk should go back home and sort himself out. "I can give more reasons if you want."

The nurses at the counter nod at his words, agreeing to every single thing he just said. "What Doctor Jinhwan said is right, you should go back home and relax yourself. Maybe you're stressed out too much." 

"True, Doctor, you're not in the best condition to do surgeries. People's lives are on the line, and it's not something you can do half-heartedly," another nurse butts in. 

Soon, there's a chorus of agreements among the nurses at the counter. Yongguk, having been given so many reasons, finally gives up. Besides, he doesn’t think he has a reason not to. He admits defeat and gets out of his white coat. The nurses at the counter return to their tasks, and Doctor Jinhwan goes away after getting his business at the counter done. Yongguk walks in the direction of his office while holding his white coat over his shoulders. He never went back before his shift ended, and today’s a first.

It’s crazy what a girl can do to you.