Chapter 6

Treat My Heart Right

"It can't be, it can't be, it can't be..." he keeps muttering the words, repeating it countless times like a mantra. He rolls around in his bed, only focusing on convincing himself that he's not falling for Jiyoon. After returning from the hospital, he immediately throws himself on the bed; not even taking the effort to change his clothes. "I was probably sweating because I was nervous, and my heart beat quickly because I was really, really anxious. Not because of her..." he trails off, not knowing what reason to give for the butterflies he felt in his stomach when she grabbed his hand. 

"Argh!" he punches the air in frustration. "Am I crazy? Sooyoung just left me and now I'm falling for another girl? I must be a really unfaithful boyfriend," he ruffles his hair. 

You deserve someone better than me... 

The image of the letter keeps appearing in his mind, making him remember every single line vividly. "Sooyoung why did you do this to me? None of this would have happen if you didn't leave..." he says to no one in particular; no one can hear him anyway.

He looks at the clock on the wall and it indicates that it's almost 9 o' clock. He's feeling very lonely and confused right now. It has barely been a day since Sooyoung left, but he's already missing her company. He sighs, picks up his phone and deletes Sooyoung's number. He scrolls through his contacts, and dials Minji's number. 

"Minji, can we meet for a second? There's something I need to talk about."

"I'm busy with work right now, so I don't think I'll be able to meet you right now."

Daehyun puts down his phone and goes out to the balcony. He breathes in a lungful of air and leans against the railing. The sky is dark, and he can see a lot of stars dotting the sky. He smiles weakly when he remembers about the time he had with Sooyoung. Even though she's born into a rich family, she didn't like to spend her time shopping for useless things. She liked the nature; the both of them would go jungle trekking, hiking, stargazing, fishing and basically anything related to nature. She's a simple girl; she didn't like to dress up. However, Daehyun still found her stunning. Sadly, he won't be able to see her anymore.

“You’re still not asleep yet?” Yongguk asks when he sees Jiyoon staring at the ceiling.

“I already had enough sleep. I didn’t even notice if anyone entered my room. Sleeping too much can be tiring after all.”

“I finished my shift now… do you want to go for a walk?”

He helps her to get out of bed carefully, and panics when she almost falls forward. “The drugs are still not wearing off, I still feel off-balanced.”

“Lean on me, I’ll support you. You have to walk around so that your blood won’t clot.”

“Speaking like a doctor you are,” she laughs as she brings herself closer to Yongguk.

“Be careful, or you might trip on something.”

“You worry too much about me.”

“That’s what’s a doctor is supposed to do; worry about his patient.”

They pass the counter, where a few nurses are in the middle of exchanging shifts. One of the night shift nurses nudges her colleague and points towards the direction of the doctor and patient. “Isn’t that Doctor Yongguk? Is he walking around with a patient? Isn’t that the job of a nurse?”

“Aish, you ask too many questions, just mind your own business,” the senior nurse warns the nurse.

“But really, his shift is over. So why trouble himself helping the patient walk around?”

“Can’t you see? It’s obvious that Doctor Yongguk likes her. Look at how close they are! Since she visits the hospital frequently, I noticed that he always attends to her. He would visit her room everyday. He won’t let any other doctors attend to her. She cares too much about her,” one of the nurses who likes to gossip suddenly interrupts.

The senior nurse slams the file she’s holding onto the counter and puts her hands on her hips. “Can the both of you mind your own business? Why should you care on who Doctor Yongguk likes? You, Nayoung-“ she points to the nurse who answered the other’s questions, “-your shift is over so go home.”

Nayoung just purses her lips and shoulders her bag. “Fine, I’m going home now. But, it looks like our chance to capture Doctor Yongguk’s heart is gone now. Sigh, what a waste. He’s really a charming and charismatic doctor. You know, my dream is to marry a doctor like him. He’s really perfect but that lucky patient caught his eyes instead.”

“Just go home!” the senior nurse glares at Nayoung.

“Right, right! I’m sorry; I’m really going now. See all of you tomorrow,” she waves at everyone at the counter.

“There goes my dream of marrying Doctor Yongguk,” she mutters to herself.

“It’s a really beautiful night, we can see the stars clearly!” Jiyoon points to the sky with her right hand, but is restricted because of the portable monitor is attached to her hand. While her left arm is hooked around Yongguk’s arm. He smiles at her fascination. They are walking slowly at the hospital park, and it’s quiet except for the sound of insects calling each other.

“It is,” he tries to hide it, but the doctor is actually blushing right now. He can feel the blush creep up his cheeks, and he really hopes that the park lights won’t be able to show it. They sit at one of the benches in the park and Jiyoon swings her legs back and forth.

Jiyoon unhooks her left arm and stretches both of her arms forward. “Sometimes I wish that I can grab the stars, I have always wanted to keep one.”

“Why?”

“Because I think they’re really beautiful. People from all over the world are always fascinated by stars, no matter where they are. I have always wanted to be like a star; they’re beautiful and loved by everyone. They’re special.”

“But-“ he stops his sentence. He wants to continue, “- you’re beautiful too and I love you... You’re special to me.” Instead, he just lets his sentence hang.

“But?” Jiyoon glances at him.

“Nothing. It’s nothing, the word just slipped out of my mouth.”

She shrugs and turns back to face the sky. The doctor lets out a quiet sigh and looks at her dearly. His heart feels like bursting, but he feels helpless. He just can quietly wish that this moment would last forever.

‘Oh Jiyoon, when will you ever look at me that way?’