Chapter 4

Treat My Heart Right

He exhales as the hot water hits his bare skin, letting the water soak his hair. Together with the flowing water, he hopes he can wash away the feeling of misery he's been feeling during the past few hours. After feeling that the burden is lifted off, he decides to step out of the shower cubicle. He gets into his bathrobe and stares at himself in the mirror. A few drops of water are on his face, but he knows better that it's not because of the shower he just had. 

He's starting to cry again, but he doesn't know how to stop them. 

"Sooyoung, what have you done to me..." 

He gets out of the bathroom and gets dress accordingly. He puts on a white turtleneck shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans. He's planning to go to the hospital again, just because he wants to know how the operation is going on. He wants to hear himself that the operation is a success. He doesn't care how long it's going to take; he'll sleep there if he has to. He grabs his trench coat, his car keys, his phone and whatever is necessary. 

The paper bag containing the box with the ring in it is just beside the trash can in his room, as if it's just waiting to be thrown out. Now, to Daehyun the ring is just another object that is meaningless. To whom can he give it to, if the only girl he loves during his whole life is now gone?

...

"We're having complications!" the assistant doctor shouts. All of the assistants are running around the operating theatre, helping whatever is possible. Yongguk stays calm, but he's sweating a lot. One of the assistants helps to wipe off the sweat. Yongguk is still; he's trying to figure out on what he should do. Rule number one: Never panic. He controls his breathing and looks around the room. He studies the monitor and reads every single detail of the condition of the patient. 

"Doc, we need to hurry up! Or not we'll lose this patient," one of the female assistants reminds him.

"Doc, I don't think we can manage this! We're losing her!"

"No! Negative influence is the last thing I want!" Yongguk's words make everybody in the operating theatre quiet. "If I say we can manage it, we can. Stop with the negative thoughts."

...

Somehow Daehyun feels nervous as he enters the hospital compound. He feels as if he's responsible for the patient's well being. Is it because she's going to receive Sooyoung's heart? He also cannot stop his train of negative thoughts as he parks his car. It's already dark, and his grumbling stomach just reminds him that he hasn't taken in anything except for the juice just now. He decides to go to the cafeteria first to get something to eat. 

After filling his stomach, he waits outside the operating theatre. He taps his foot on the floor nervously, feeling worried. He bites his lower lip until it’s bleeding. He checks his watch every 5 minutes, and he feels as if the time is not moving. He calculates in his mind; it should be around 7 hours since the operation started. It should be over by now, right?

He slumps back into the chair, occasionally checking his phone. When he gives up on checking the time, he gets up and paces back and forth in front of the door of the operating theatre. If he could, he wants to break into the operating room and asks if everything is going well. His curiousness is eating him out, and he jumps back when the automatic doors open. 

A surgeon mask is hanging on Yongguk's neck and Daehyun can tell he's exhausted. However his eyes are lit up and he smiles when he sees Daehyun. Daehyun doesn't need to ask about the operation, as the doctor's face tells everything. "The operation was a success! The patient is going to be brought into the ICU now. She's still unconscious because of the anesthesia, but she'll wake up soon. You can see her when she wakes up." 

Yongguk slaps Daehyun lightly in the back and it startles him. The latter looks at the doctor's face, and he suddenly feels sorry for him. He doesn't know why, but he invites the doctor to have a drink with him at the cafeteria. Yongguk gladly accepts. He informs him that he needs to take something from his office first, and he'll meet him at the cafeteria. 

"Coffee for you, and tea for me," Daehyun places the cup of coffee and the doctor chuckles. 

"You don't drink coffee? You don't like it?"

Daehyun shrugs. "I can't tolerate caffeine well. I can't sleep if I drink coffee and I'll look like a mess the next morning." 

The doctor laughs and he takes a sip of his coffee. "As for me-" he sets the cup down, "-it's almost a requirement. When you're working as a doctor, you have to be alert at all times. I don't even remember the last time I had a good sleep." 

Soon, they're talking comfortably as if they have known each other for a long time. Daehyun feels as if he can tell the doctor about anything. He tells the incident where he found out about Sooyoung's death just after he bought the ring. 

"I'm sorry, that's really unfortunate..." 

"I guess I have to accept it now. It's her time to go, and I have to accept that. Also, I'd like to thank you for making the operation a success. Sooyoung would be so happy to know about it." 

Yongguk shakes his head. "No, I should thank you. If you didn't approve it, the operation wouldn't happen. Oh right, I almost forgot- Ms. Sooyoung. She asked me to give you this. She gave it to me just before her last breath." He takes out what appears to be a letter and gives it to Daehyun. He checks his watch and is suprised to see that it's already late at night. "I have to get going now, and I think it's best for you to go home first. You can see the patient tomorrow, well if you're okay with that." 

Daehyun agrees with his suggestion, and they shake hands. After Yongguk leaves, Daehyun smoothes the letter on the table and starts to read it. The familiar handwriting makes him miss her even more. He braves himself to read every single word on the paper. He takes another sip of tea before diving into the letter. 

Daehyun, I hope you're reading this letter after I'm gone. I'm sorry for not telling you about the brain tumour I had; I didn't want you to worry about me. You're a nice guy, but I can't bear to see you ruining your own life just because of me. To be honest if you ask me, I'd say that you deserve someone better than me. I believe it's better for me to go away quietly, rather than having you by my side, just counting down the days I have. You've been a very good guy to me, but it's time for you to move on. Please forget about me, I'm not worth your time. You have good looks, a lot of girls will even volunteer to be by your side. You even have a lot of wealth, I'm sure all the girls will want you to take them as your girlfriend. You're a very nice guy, so girls fall for you anyway. What I'm saying is you can get any girl to be your company. Someone who can make you happy. During the period we've been together, I don't think there's a moment when you hurt my feelings. As my last deed to the world, I decided to donate my heart. It's an honest decision because I know someone deserves my heart. Someone needs it. I hope you're still reading up until here. I have one last request; can you treat my heart in the patient's body the way you treated my heart when it's still beating in mine?

Love,
Sooyoung