Chapter 24

Treat My Heart Right

Voices. He hears a familiar one, and another that he’s not sure of. One is a man’s, and another is a woman’s. He recognizes the man’s voice. He slowly lifts his heavy eyelids. He blinks a few times and sees that he’s facing a white ceiling. He tries to move his head to see where he is. A doctor, and a nurse are standing beside his bed, seemingly to be in deep discussion.

The nurse lifts his head up, and their eyes meet. Her lips part slightly, and she says, “Doctor- the patient- the patient is awake.”

The doctor turns to face him, and he sighs in relief. “Goodness, you had us worried, Mr. Jung Daehyun,” Yongguk goes up to him. “I’m glad that you have woken up after almost a month.”

A month? What does he mean?

“You were in a coma for almost a month,” the doctor adds, answering his question.

“Coma, because of the- the fall?”

The doctor looks at him weirdly, as if he just grew horns on his head. “What fall are you talking about? You were in a coma because of a car accident.”

Car accident? He’s pretty sure the last thing he remembered was him falling off the balcony. What’s going on? Something’s not right here…

He clears his throat, and lifts his hands. He can see that all kinds of wires are attached to his body, and he’s reminded of Jiyoon. Wait, Jiyoon. He needs to see her!

“Jiyoon. Park Jiyoon. I need to see her. She’s safe, right?”

The doctor starts to get uneasy, and he orders the nurse to leave the both of them alone. He pulls the chair to sit next to Daehyun, and he clasps his fingers. “Mr. Jung Daehyun, I’m pretty sure I didn’t tell you the name of the patient yet, but how did you know her name?”

“Of course I know her name! Even though I was in a coma, I didn’t forget anything. I still remember everything that happened before that. I remember meeting her, falling for her, spending time with her but in the end she chose you instead. That’s why I’m here; I made that stupid decision. And stop calling me Mr., it’s weird to hear that from you.”

The doctor, who’s listening, laughs nervously. “I’m sorry, but I really don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve never met Jiyoon and no, she didn’t choose me. I only treat her as my younger sister as she lived with us after her brother kicked her out of the house. My mother felt sorry for her so she invited her to live with us. I don’t mind as I’ve known her for long, anyway.”

“Stop saying nonsense, you have feelings for her!”

He laughs again, this time seriously thinking it’s funny. “Why would I have feelings for her? I’ve only known her as my younger sister, not as someone whom I have feelings for.”

Daehyun is at a loss for words. He’s confused, and he doesn’t know what’s going on. He remembers all of the events happening clearly… Or does he?

The doctor pats his shoulder, and says calmly, “Why don’t you… Tell me everything that you experienced?”

Daehyun tells everything, from the moment he’s buying the ring for Sooyoung, until the moment he’s falling. He stops when he realizes he’s starting to sound ridiculous by the second. The more he reveals, the weirder it sounds. “Wait…” he says slowly. “I didn’t experience it. I was watching it unfold in front of me, like a drama.”

The doctor nods. He gives off a smile, and he unclasps his hands. “It’s normal for you to have these dreams that seem so real while you’re in a coma.”

“Since when did I fall into a coma?”

“After I gave you the letter from Ms. Sooyoung, I received a call that you were involved in a car crash. I assume you were going back to your house at that time. You went straight into a coma, up until today.”

“So you’re saying that I’ve never met her, that Jiyoon… She doesn’t know me?”

The doctor gives off a weak smile. “I’m afraid so.”

“The only reason that you were so happy that you received my permission to go on with the operation…”

“…is because I love her as a sister, not because I have feelings for her. Yes, I do care for her, only not in that way you thought.”

“Everything that happens after that car crash… Never actually happened?”

“No, you were in a coma since then.”

He doesn’t know whether he’s happy with this news. Yongguk is not standing in between Jiyoon and him. But now, it seems like Jiyoon doesn’t know him. Yet. How will she ever feel about him? What if she doesn’t look at him the same way she did in his dream? The thought pains him. Only he knows one thing... He has feelings for her. Even though it started in his dream, he still has that feeling. He wants to hold her tight, telling her how much she means to him.

“I love her,” he says suddenly. The doctor is surprised, but he doesn’t show it.

“Are you really sure? Are you sure it’s not because of the dream you had?”

“Yes, I’m sure. And no, it’s not because the heart once belonged to Sooyoung. I really fell for her. I know it sounds weird, that I started having feelings for her in my dream but I still do. I just feel this… connection.”

“What do you plan to do?”

“I want to meet her. Even though it means starting all over again, I will do it. I don’t want to let her go this time.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLOT TWIST! Yes, I know this chapter is short but this chapter is an important one ohoho. If any of you guys are confused, basically chapters 5 until 23 are all in Daehyun's 'dream' while he's in coma (they never actually happened). Don't get mad at me *hides* Some of you might be frustrated until you feel as if you want to punch someone. I'm sorry! But I did warn you guys before hehe... Anyway, I hope you keep on reading and anticipate! :)