Chapter 29

Treat My Heart Right

“You see the problem is I can’t remember anything about the car accident. I remember absolutely nothing; I don’t even know whether it’s true that I really fell into a coma because of a car accident.”

“Are you saying that Yongguk oppa lied to you?” Jiyoon crosses her arms, raising an eyebrow.

“I’m not saying that he lied… Maybe he’s hiding something? You’re the one who said that he seems to be hiding something. Maybe the cause of my coma was something different, not a car accident. I don’t even know where my old car is now; I don’t really know whether it’s really that badly damaged. Aish, it’s hard not having any family members backing you up. I can’t even ask them whether it’s true that I was in a car accident. In fact I would probably be kicked out of the house before I can have the chance to ask.”

“Your family…?”

“They kicked me out, but that’s not the problem now. I have this strong feeling it’s not really a car accident. There’s something dubious about all of this. Say, would you believe if you wake up from a one-month coma, without any family members by your side, and you’re told that it was because you were involved in a car accident? You have no memory of it, and there’s no evidence saying that it’s true.”

“Yongguk oppa is a doctor, so of course he’s right,” Jiyoon says furiously, starting to get annoyed with Daehyun. The man has looks, but he doesn’t know how to take care of the words that come out of his mouth. “Just watch your mouth, mister.” She takes a big gulp of water from the bottle and twists the cap to close it.

Daehyun scratches his head as he realizes he’s going too far. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to have any suspicions about your um, brother, but I’m just weirded out. Something’s definitely not right.”

Jiyoon sighs, and runs her fingers through her hair. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

“Reading a letter from my late girlfriend…” he trails off as he tries to take in air with difficulty. A small tear escapes his eyes, but he quickly wipes it off and pretends nothing happened. Jiyoon sees it and she instantly feels guilty. It must have been hard on him, and she can’t blame him for being uneasy.

“When was it?”

Daehyun takes a moment to think about it. “19th of March.”

Jiyoon tried to remember anything out of the ordinary that day, whether Yongguk was acting weirdly. She shakes her head as she confirms that nothing is weird. Yongguk came home that day looking tired as usual, and Jiyoon is sure that he didn’t do anything different that would spark a memory.

“There was blood on his shirt, but it’s something common as he’s a doctor. So, I don’t think he’s involved in this drama.”

“Even though you trust me, you don’t trust me as much as you trust Yongguk, do you? You must love him so much that you always defend him no matter what.”

“I’ve known him longer…”

“Right, it’s my fault, I’m sorry,” he hastily shuts off the topic, but Jiyoon isn’t satisfied with his response.

She props up her elbows on the table. “Tell me, are we supposed to know each other? I notice that you keep acting as if you know me, or do you really, really know me?”

“It’s a long story, but it’s stupid. So you don’t have to hear it. I will promise you that you will laugh when you hear everything.”

“I’m not someone that is amused easily, so you can tell me.”

Daehyun points a finger to himself. “Me? Tell you everything?”

Jiyoon nods silently so Daehyun has no choice but to open up.

“Promise me you won’t laugh.”

“I won’t.”

Daehyun tells everything from the start, up until the point where he was falling. Jiyoon who’s listening, occasionally frowns, and sometimes she would hide a smile. She even had to fan herself because she was blushing. After Daehyun told everything, she smiles and soon she has to cover to silent her laugh.

“Hey, you promised me you wouldn’t laugh!”

“I’m sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. I’m sorry, I’m sorry!” Her shoulders jiggle up and down as she desperately holds in her laughter.

Daehyun has to admit, he doesn’t get angry with her even though she’s laughing at him right now. In fact, if it’s possible, he’s falling in love with her all over again. And this time, it’s for real. He smiles to himself when he sees how beautiful she is when she laughs. Although he knows she probably doesn’t feel the same way like he does. This is reality, and it’s not a dream.

Yongguk stands on the sidewalk, looking through the transparent glass of the restaurant. He has been following Jiyoon around because he was worried something might happen to her, but can’t help and sigh in relief when he sees that she’s with Daehyun. At least, Daehyun would try to protect her in case anything ever happened. He’s sure of that.

He’s been standing outside for half an hour now, and it’s a miracle that they still haven’t noticed him standing there. They must be in a very deep conversation until they don’t even look at his direction. It catches him off guard when he sees her laughing, looking graceful even when doing that. His hand touches the covered wound on his stomach, and he is instantly reminded on the turmoil two days ago.

He doesn’t want to do it, but he has to. He knows that he’s scared. But at the same time he’s worried that anything would happen to Jiyoon if he doesn’t. He shouldn’t get involved in this mayhem in the first place, but thinking about Jiyoon made him take the chances.

He looks back and forth from Daehyun and Jiyoon. Both of them look so comfortable with each other, as if they’ve known each other for long. He feels jealousy filling his heart, but he knows that he doesn’t have the right to feel that way. He doesn’t deserve Jiyoon at all. His gaze falls upon Jiyoon, and his heart breaks a little when he sees Jiyoon smiling brightly. She seems so happy to be with Daehyun, and Yongguk hates to admit that. Daehyun is perfect for Jiyoon.

His gaze fixes on Daehyun next, and the feeling of remorse floods in. How can he take away an innocent life? Daehyun has never done anything wrong towards him, and now he’s forced to kill him. Yongguk, what’s wrong with you? Get back to your senses! This is not the only solution. Yes, there are other solutions. But he’s not a brave person. He’s a coward.

‘I’m sorry Jiyoon. I’m sorry Daehyun. I’m sorry if this happens to be the last time. I’m sorry for being a coward… Please forgive me for doing this.’


Ah this chapter is shorter than I expected; I truly apologize for that. I've been really busy this week so I didn't have time to sit down and write. Please stick with me until the end... :) Thank you for all the comments and to those who subscribed. You guys rock! Let's all hope I have more time to write after this.