Chapter 1

Treat My Heart Right

Daehyun surveys the rings enclosed in the glass case in front of him, eyeing them one by one. He had spent almost 20 minutes in the jewellery shop, but he still can't make up his mind. The salesgirl who is attending him is tapping her fingers on the surface impatiently, waiting for him to make a choice. The salesgirl fixes her nametag, fighting the urge to speak up. After all, the dashing young man in front of him is the customer. Customers are always right. At least, that's what her senior always reminds her every morning. 

"May I take a look at that one, please?" Daehyun finally points to a diamond-encrusted ring.

The salesgirl lifts an eyebrow, but she still manages to give a smile at the young man in front of her. "Are you really sure about it, sir?" her lips curl into a mocking smile. 

Daehyun, unfazed by her tone, nods curtly. His finger is still pointing towards the ring, but the salesgirl doesn't move. She leans forward, and props up her elbows on the glass case. "Sir, I'm going to assume that you're in your early 20s, am I correct?" 

Daehyun nods. 

"You're a handsome young lad, I admit, but I doubt you can afford the ring- especially since you're still young. It's a handmade diamond encrusted ring, and that thing-" she taps the glass case to emphasise, "-costs a grand. And judging from your clothing-" she looks at him up and down, "-you better cancel your intentions." Just because she was ticked off at the young man for taking too much time to choose, she totally forgot what her senior always tell her- never underestimate or downgrade a customer by saying they can't afford to buy what they chose.

Daehyun chuckles, immune to the words spoken by the salesgirl. He points to the ring again, motioning for her to take it out. She takes out the ring, waiting for the man's eyes to pop out when he sees the price. However, Daehyun doesn't even look at the price. He inspects the ring, nods with satisfaction and places back the ring into the velvet-emboidered container. "I'll take it."

The salesgirl's eyes go wide and she carelessely pushes the container towards Daehyun. "The price-"

"I know. Just charge it on my card," he takes out his wallet and slams his credit card beside the container. He's starting to get impatient. He can take people underestimating him, but this salesgirl just went too far. It's something special, so of course he wants to buy the best for his soon-to-be wife.

"Very- very well, sir," the salesgirl finally gives up and takes the card to charge it. While waiting for the receipt to be printed out, the girl steals a quick glance at the man. According to his card, his name is Jung Daehyun. 'His soon-to-be wife is very lucky, he's very good-looking and can even afford a diamond ring. Aish, I'm an idiot, why on earth did I look down on him?' she whispers to herself as she tears the printed receipt. She takes a paper bag and brings the items over to Daehyun. Daehyun signs the receipt and she hands over the paper bag with the ring in it. 

"Thank you and c-come again."

Daehyun takes the bag and replies with a monotonous voice, "I doubt I will."

"Great service you have here," Daehyun says to the customer greeter at the entrance sarcastically. The customer greeter, oblivious to his sarcastic tone, smiles brightly at him and replies, "So do come again!"

"There are a lot of other jewellery stores around here, I just had to pick this one," Daehyun says to himself. He takes out his car keys from his shirt's pocket and unlocks his car. The sound of the red sports car unlocking turns a few heads around, some women passing by even stop to look at the car, or rather, the handsome man who owns it. Daehyun, oblivious -as he always is- to the surroundings, enters his car and puts the paper bag on the passenger seat carefully. He refrains from putting the seat belt on the paper bag- he doesn't want to be labelled as crazy. Instead, he just says to the paper bag in a low tone, "Sit there nicely, eh? You're something special and I don't want anything to happen to you." 

Just as he's about to start the car engine, his phone rings, his girlfriend's ID flashing, waiting to be answered. Daehyun smiles at the sight and quickly picks up the call. "Hello? Honey, you won't believe what I just got you-" His words are cut off by a sobbing voice- or to be exact, his girlfriend's friend's sobbing voice.

"Hey, hey slow down, Minji. Can you talk clearly? What happened?"

"..."

"Hospital? Where? Tell me!" his left hand grips the steering wheel tightly.

Minji doesn't answer, and there's a moment of silence but he can hear background voices. He can guess that one of the voices belong to the doctor; he can feel his heart beat increasing as he waits for Minji to speak up. He prays silently in his heart, hoping that his girlfriend will be okay. The voices stop, and he can finally hear Minji's voice clearly. However, he wishes that he can unhear what he just heard.

"Daehyun-" Minji lets out a slow breath. "-She's gone. Sooyoung didn't make it- she's- she's dead."