Empty

Spells And Claws

He steps out of the mountain and looks ahead. The sun hasn’t risen yet and the stars are still shining bright up in the sky. He closes his eyes and takes in the morning mist then disappears into the air.

On the other side of the forest, in a cave where a griffin is still fast asleep he appears at the entrance. The beast senses his presence and slowly stirs itself awake and walks towards him.

It has become familiar with the man standing in front of its cave every morning of everyday for the last week.

“Hi, Magnus,” he his fur as soon as it reaches his side. The beast would always give out a purr as it leans its head against him. They have grown fond of each other after a day or two. He has been in need of a company where there would be no conversation required. Just someone that he could spend time with.

He takes out a huge chunk of meat from a bag and feeds it to the beast. He stands back and watches it devours the raw meat with its large beak and claws shredding it into bits.

“Let’s go,” he says once it has finished off its breakfast. Taking his wolf form, he leads it out into the woods. Going wherever his paws and its wings could take them.

Taking the same route every day. Blocking out everything else as they go. Not caring about anything or anyone. Trying to let go. To forget. The pain. The emptiness. The loneliness. The sorrow.

In a way, the running helps. More than he thought it would. There is not a moment when he does not wish for things to be different. A life with no responsibilities. He’s not trying to run away from reality. He’s just trying to forget about it for a brief moment.

But fate has already chosen this life for him and the rest will fall into place depending on what he thinks is right. Life is not cruel, people only made it difficult.

The running goes on until the moon is at its peak. When all of the other beings are fast asleep and nothing but silence fills the air. He would be the first to leave and the last to come home. And the cycle continues onwards.

 

 

“The mind is a very powerful tool. Use it. Visualize your weapon. Feel your powers flow through your fingers,” L instructs.

With her eyes close, she is starting to picture a bow and an arrow. She is imagining herself holding them in her hands and she could feel.

Concentrate, she conjures up the bow and the arrow in mid-air. Feeling its hard materials in her hands she grips it but by the time she opens her eyes they disappear.

She inhales deeply and clutches her fists at her sides. They’ve been at this for hours. Their first lesson is all about focus. Before this, he had her shooting a target using knives. And yes, she has to use her magic to do it.

“Again,” he commands. Her eyes shoot daggers at his direction but she restrains her urge to strangle him and tries to do it again. Despite the tiring feeling, she manages to convince herself that she needs to keep trying.

Pictures. Conjures. Grips. Disappears. Every time. She hears him sighing but she does nothing in responds. He takes a few steps forward and stands merely a foot in front of her. She tries to calm herself but her heart wouldn’t let her relax. She looks away from him, avoiding his eye contact.

“What’s on your mind?” he asks straight forward. Her head turns at his voice and she arches a brow at the sudden question.

“You were distracted. Why else would you explain your lack of focus,” he says. He crosses his arms on his chest and waits for her to respond.

“I don’t know,” she replies almost like a whisper to herself. She doesn’t understand it herself. Maybe she’s just too afraid to try. Maybe she doesn’t have the confidence in herself.

Knowing that she can’t disappoint anyone. Knowing that she can’t fail. It makes her feel like running away. Away from everything. But she can’t.

“You know. Sometimes I wonder whether you are serious about this or not,” he says monotone.

“I’m trying. I just…” she pauses. She doesn’t know what to say. There are a lot of things playing in her mind and it makes her confuse as to what she is supposed to think.

“Just what?” he asks. She looks him in the eyes. Heart pounding as she could see that he is growing impatience. He of course is as tired as she is so what is there for her to argue. She stays silent.

“I’m not sure if you realize this or not, My Lady. But I am here to teach you to master your powers. Not to give you a counselling session. I am no therapist, Your Grace. But if you are in need of one, I’m happy to inform you that Hanjoon can be quite the confidant,” he states rather sarcastically.

She stares up at him. Brows knit together. Lips form a thin line. He’s telling the truth. There is no denying it. So why is she holding herself back? He notices the change in his tone and quickly shakes it off.

“Forgive my outburst, My Lady. I had no right to offend you,” he apologizes. There is a long pause between them.

“We’re done for today. We’ll pick this up tomorrow,” he says walking away. She tries to call for him but decides not to. She watches as he grows further and further from her sight and then gone. She couldn’t help but feel disappointed in herself.

She sticks around a little while longer. Practicing. Creating a weapon from mid-air. She reminds herself to clear her head from any thoughts. Thinking of nothing else other than the weapon.

A bow made of the strongest metal. An arrow that could pierce through even the thickest wall. Imagining herself holding them in her hands. Bow and arrow.

She feels them in her hands. With a breath, she conjures them and beholds. With all their glory. She holds them up and aims the arrow at the target. With a breath, she releases it.