Caged

Spells And Claws

She was starting to regain her consciousness. Her head was throbbing like crazy. She felt as if she was hit with a hammer. Her eyes flickered open, looking around, curious of where she was. What's for sure was that she wasn't in her room.

No. This room seemed wider and darker. Completely unfamiliar. Unlike her room, this one only had a door but no window. She held onto the edge of her bed as she tried to get up. Fighting against the pain that shot through her for her every movement. There was no light except from the torches that were hanging on the wall.

She furrowed her brows, wondering where she was and why. She was walking towards the door but before she could reach it, she ended up running into something instead. She ran her hands in front of her. There was nothing there but she could clearly feel it against her palms. It was a wall. An invisible wall.

"What ? What is this ?" she traced her hand on the wall. Wondering why she was in it in the first place. She started to panic. Feeling the air getting heavier for her to breathe. She walked around the room and noticed that the entire place had the wall surrounding her. Trapping her.

And that wasn't all. She felt as if she was drained. Like she had no energy left in her. She lifted her hand and noticed a cuff on it. She tried to take it off but it wouldn't budge.

"Save your strenght. I've put an enchantment on it. Only I am able to take it off of you," she heard a voice. She looked up to see L standing by the corner, staring at her. She had no idea he was there in the first place. Frankly, she hadn't had the slightest clue about anything at the moment.

"Why am I here ? And why did you put this on me ?" she said. Facing him. He inhaled as he straighten himself up and walked closer. His face was expressionless and his posture seemed steady but looked as if he was prepared for anything.

"I had to put you in here. King's orders. As for the cuff, it's to restrain you of your magic," he replied with his arms folded over his chest. Her eyes widen in an instant. Shocked would be an understatement. How could her father put her in here and took away her magic ?

As if on cue, the door creaked opened and in came her father. The look on his face had her worried. She knew that face anywhere but this time it seemed more intense. He wasn't just angry, he was furious. And this time, she didn't even know what she did wrong.

"Father, I swear I didn't do anything. So, please. Enough of this," she defended herself. She had been in trouble many times over and yet she was always able to get out of it. Unfortunately, this didn't seem like one of those times that she could just put on her puppy dog eyes and beg for mercy. No. This was dfferent.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Raina. We need to take precautions from now on. You leave me no choice," he replied sternly. She could feel the tension that he was presenting. And it was starting to make her nervous. She was still confused and she demanded for answers.

"But I don't even know what I did," she asked anxiously. This time, it was L who was explaining to her. And what she heard had caused her heart to stop beating. She felt like she had just stabbed herself with a dagger straight through her chest repeatedly.

"That's impossible. I don't even have any memory of it. This can't be true," she was in denial. She couldn't get her head straight after hearing about that nightmare.

"I can assure you that it is. I was the one who stopped you. And regarding of your memories of it, perhaps it has something to do with the transformation that you let yourself in. The aggression that you had experience was quite overwhelming that it might have blocked your memories of it," he explained.

"No. There must be some mistake. I would never hurt anyone. I'm suppose to protect them," she said. She was bewildered with the news. She just couldn't accept it. She could already feel the guilt slowly engulfing her and life felt meaningless.

"I'm sorry, Raina. But you can never leave this room ever," her father responded. The sound of it had terrified her. She dashed towards the wall and called out to him. Begging and hoping that he would change his mind.

"No. Father, please. There must be another way. You can't keep me here," she begged. But he was reluctless. He inhaled and exhaled deeply.

"It is already decided," he replied firmly before leaving the room along with L. With tears threatening to fall, she slid against the wall and started sobbing as she buried her face in her hands. So, this was what it had came to be ? Her being cagged like an animal by her own father. She had never felt so betrayed in her entire life. And this was by far the worst kind of betrayal that she could ever experience.

 

 

"Guard the door. No one is to go in or out without my permission," he said to the guards.

"Your Majesty. A word, if I may ?" L spoke up. The king nodded his head and they both went up to the library.

"With all due respect, Sire, I don't believe that this is the right way to deal with her condition," he continued.

"Are you suggesting that I should execute her instead then ?" the king asked him as he took a seat in his chair.

"No. That is not what I meant. What I meant was that her powers are fully developed. However, she still needs to know how to properly use it. And what happen last night was her losing control of it. She needs to learn," he explained.

"I am well aware of that, L. What exactly are trying to say ?" he asked.

"What I'm trying to say is that what she turned into last night was because of her powers. And her powers comes from within her. There is a part of her, that you might even say, her alter ego. And keeping her locked up behind those walls will only make it more infuriated. You see, Your Highness, Raina is a very free spirited soul. She craves for freedom. If you decided to keep her caged like a beast, you might as well are creating one," he explained.

"So, what you are saying is that this alter ego of hers is angry. Which made her transformed herself into the most fearsome creatures known to man and by restraining her, I am actually making it worst," he clarified.

The king furrowed his brows as he leaned over his desk. He has never really come up with any other way other than keeping her inside and away from everything else that could become of a distraction to her. But he couldn't deny the fact that he agrees with him.

"What would you have me do ?" he asked. All he wanted was to make sure the safety of his daughter. Whatever it takes.

"I may have a solution. I can teach her to control. I can show her the ways. She will be stronger and more focus. I can teach her everything that I know, if you would let me have her," he said. The King's expression was tensed. He had never let her leave his side before and he had never expected that this could be the only way to save her. He was frightened of the idea.

"And you swear that she would be able to control herself ? This alter ego of hers that you speak of ?" he asked him for assurance.

"You have my word, Your Majesty," he said confidently. He got up from his chair and face the window behind him. He heaved a heavy sigh and finally turned to face him once more.

"Very well, then. You shall leave with her as soon as possible. You may go," he said. He nodded his head and head towards the door.

"Oh, and L ?" he called out to him. He stopped in his track and glanced back.

"I am counting on you to take care of my daughter," he said firmly. He had lost his wife and he wasn't about to lose his only child as well. And he would make certain of it.

"I will protect her with my life, Your Highness. I swear to it," he responded. The king nodded his head and with that he left the library.

As he walked down the hall, he came across two familiar faces.

"I need to see her, Stella. Please," Kai said. He had been going out of his mind after what happened. He refused to rest and all he ever talked about was checking up on her which he had clearly failed since the guards wouldn't let him pass.

"The King doesn't want anyone to see her, including me. I tried but he wouldn't let me. I'm sorry but there's nothing that I can do," she said apologetically. He ranked his hand in his hair in frustration. And with the look in his eyes, he could go on a rampage at any moment.

"Kai," he called out to him. He turned his head and the rage had gotten higher. He clutched his fists and his jawline was tensed from his clenched teeth. He was the last person he would want to see at the time. Even the sight of him made him wanted to beat the guy senseless but knowing that they were at the wrong place to pick up a fight, he restricted himself.

"Can I talk to you for a minute ?" he asked. He furrowed his brows, not caring of what he wanted to say until he mentioned about Raina. That did the trick. He heaved a breath and followed him as he lead them outside.

He had never really like him and he made it pretty obvious. But when it comes to her, it seemed to be worth the tolerance.