Chapter 8

The way with life
I am sorry if this chapter didnt feature much of daehyun but I really wanted to portray the OC's feeling and her character traits. Thanks :) 
 
"Hey." I greeted Heejun as his smile lit up his whole face. 
"How was class?" Heejun asked as he offered to carry the books that I held in my arms. 
"It was okay." I briefly commented before rejecting his kind offer on helping me carry his books. 
"It's freezing cold today. Did you bring heat packs?" 
I sheepishly shook my head, making Heejun forcefully give me two of his before he carefully adjusted the scarf that was wrapped around my neck.
"I don't want you getting sick so you had better get enough warm stuff when you come out next time, okay?" Heejun chided lightly. 
I nodded as I muttered a thank you before putting my hand in the deep pockets of my jacket with the heat pack that was undoubtedly helping me brave the cold weather. 
"Two cappuccinos please." Heejun ordered.
"That will be 10 pounds." 
"Here." I offered the cashier my 10-pound note, only to realise that Heejun was taking his 10-pound note out and giving mine back to me. 
"I am paying." Heejun firmly said.
"Why? I can pay." I insisted.
"You are my girlfriend." Heejun said, making me feel a little uncomfortable with the word girlfriend.
"So you mean a guy always has to pay for a girl?" I questioned, annoyed as I never liked getting special treatment as a girl. 
"I don't mean it that way. I just really want to do something small for you and since you looked so tired from class, I just wanted to give you a little treat." Heejun reasoned as he put his arm on my shoulder.
Guilt then struck me when I realised Heejun's good intentions. I felt so selfish and narrow-minded. He was Such a nice guy and I was just being so negative about every single thing he was doing and I wanted very much to fall for him and really spend a wonderful time with him but love couldn't be forced. Maybe, being good friends with him was great but me being his girlfriend was totally weird and now, even when he wanted to hold my hand, I would flinch away and say that I wasn't ready for it and it just wasn't fair to keep Heejun waiting. I felt utterly useless.
"I am sorry. I just." I managed to meekly apologise.
"It's okay. They say when couples get into mini quarrels, they end up being together for a very long time." Heejun gave a bright smile as he pulled my closer towards him. I sighed as guilt overwhelmed me once again. What a lie I was. 
"Actually, do you really like me?" Heejun asked, minutes after we settled down for a cup of coffee at the table.
I was totally stunned by that question as thoughts went through my head. I didnt feel the jitters hen I was with him and though I was used to his means of affection with me, I was still uncomfortable. However, as I spent more time with him, I felt that going on dates with him was not a burden anymore. In fact, I enjoyed them. I enjoyed spending time with him and the fact that he was so nice to me, I truly appreciated it. I remembered being so alone in Korea, when I barely had any friends due to my cold attitude because of my family background and now that I had Heejun, even if I knew that I Didnt have any feelings for him, I was selfish. I wanted to keep him by my side. I was afraid that if I rejected him, he would leave me and make me an enemy and that was not what I wanted because truly, I felt Heejun was my best friend and if I wanted him as my best friend, I needed to be with him. I was selfish but that was humane. I was insecure as I never had someone who cared that much for me. Furthermore, I wanted to make my mother know that I was having a better life than I had in Korea with a boyfriend here.  Maybe, as time passed, I could start liking Heejun the same way he did to me. Yes, I would like him and I will make myself like him. 
"Yes, I do have feelings for you." I firmly said moments later after a train of my thoughts.