Chapter 5

The way with life

Hey darling.” Heejun s his arms around my waist upon seeing me. 

I sighed. We had been on this one-sided relationship for two weeks already and I was getting sick and tired of it already. How was I going to break the news to him? 

“No darlings please.” I muttered, leaving Heejun to chuckle. 

Despite my desperate attempts telling Heejun not to make those pet names for me, he was insistent on calling me those. He felt that whenever I chided him for doing that, I was just being embarrassed. As much as I wanted to give Heejun a chance for this relationship, I felt so fake. I felt sorry for Heejun because the longer I kept the truth from him, the more pain he would feel. I wanted very much to try like Heejun at least but my heart wouldn’t let me. Heejun was a totally cool boyfriend, a man any girl would want. From his good looks, wealth and his intelligence. They were all A-class but he just didn’t give me that feeling I wanted from a man I was supposed to love. Sure, he loved me a lot, so much to the extent that he was blinded by the fact that I was totally uninterested on those dates we brought me on and for that, I was even more guilty. Every time I tried to break the truth to him, something would suddenly pop up of nowhere, giving me no chance to voice the truth out. I wanted to maybe, send him a text or maybe just give him a call and just let everything out of the bag but I firmly believed that as much as my attitude was pretty bad, (oh well, maybe not since I was getting myself involved in some crap) I still had to end the relationship sincerely and nicely, just as how he started this relationship with me. 

“Wanna go to the London Eye today?” Heejun suggested. 

“Actually, I kinda have lots and lots of homework today so I think I will just mug at home.” I tried to come up with an excuse to escape this date, maybe giving him a hint that I was really not that interested in those dates of his. 

“Oh, I have loads of homework too! Why don’t I come over? We could have a study date, you know.” Heejun replied, giving me a wink. 

“But I am an audio learner so I have to do work alone so let’s just see each other tomorrow?”I persuaded Heejun, wanting to give myself some along time today. 

“Fine but you owe me a date tomorrow.” Heejun pouted before he brought me into a hug. 

                                                              —————

School was finally over after hours and hours of heavy lectures and my neck was stiff from having to copy notes while looking at the screen at the same time. My step mum had finally sent me some extra cash so since I had the whole night to myself, fortunately, I decided to treat myself to a better dinner which meant that I didn’t have to buy grab-on sandwiches from convenience stores of little cafes anymore. Since I knew of a famous Thai restaurant right next to my apartment, I decided to make my way there. It was bitingly cold and though I had put heat packs in my pockets to warm my hands with, they were not really helping in this cold weather. 

“Table for one.” I smiled, letting the waiter bring me to a small table next to the window that oversaw the London eye. 

I sighed as I reminisced the time Heejun and I went up onto the London eye. The view was breathtaking but Heejun’s constant skinship with me drove me crazy and those 25 minutes of my life were the worst for me. 

                                                               —————

Once I was done with this satisfying dinner, I headed down to the ice-cream parlour next door that was known to be seemingly famous. Since the parlour was full, I decided to walk as I ate my ice-cream though I started shivering but I enjoyed it. The cool London walkway with a few people walking along it, speaking in their native english was not totally new to me anymore. I really missed Korea and I still hated London but this was a place I would have to be in for probably the rest of my university years which meant that I had to take it or let live. 

Just then, I spotted a familiar figure a few feet away from me. It’s him! The man from the airport! In a moment of frenzy, I accidentally dropped my ice-cream onto the dull grey pavement, making the white puddle of ice cream contrast against the grey pavement. I could feel the passers-by giving me watchful stares but I could hardly care less. I could not lose the man anymore. I ran with all my might, pushing the people who were blocking my way, just to get to the man, just to see him, just to clear my guilt. I knew that what I was doing was totally embarrassing and I swear the whole walkway full of people would be judging me soon but I just needed to talk to him. 

“Stop! Please!” I panted as I rested my hand on the man’s shoulder, making the man give a little jump. 

He took off his earphones and turn behind, leaving me to sigh in relief because it was indeed that man. The man was frowning by then and was obviously unhappy to see me but whatever it was, I just needed to say what I needed to. 

“What do you want?” The man crossed his arms over his chest as he cocked one of his eyebrows up. 

“I know a stranger coming up to you like this is weird but there has been something bothering me for a while now and I just wanted to say that…”

“Say what? I don’t have much time, you know.” The man interrupted me a he glanced at his watch.” 

“I just… wanted-“

“Daehyun! There you are! We have been waiting for you!” A boy standing outside a cafe shouted. 

So Daehyun’s his name. 

‘Look here, my friend’s calling me and I gotta go all right. Bye.” Daehyun curtly said before walking towards the cafe. 

Oh gosh, I can’t just let him slip through my fingers now. Oh come on JungAh, you can do this. It’s just a little bit of your pride. I winced at my own pathetic self for being so cowardly. 

“I am sorry!” I shouted. 

Daehyun stopped in his tracks and I knew that through my desperate attempt to apologise, he was smiling.