Chapter 11

The way with life

Hey everyoneeee! Hope you are enjoying this story so far. It's monday tomorrow and I wish you a good week ahead. 

 

"You can sleep over there." I gesticulated towards the sofa as I passed Daehyun a blanket and two towels as a pillow since I didn't have extra pillows.

"Thanks." Daehyun muttered softly as he took the towels and blanket from me.

"I will be in my room if you need me." I scratched my head from the awkwardness before I turned off the lights in the living room and plodded back into the bedroom.

As I snuggled into the duvets of the bed, I thought about the chaotic events that made it's way into the quiet night I thought I would have. I was terribly exhausted but knowing that there was a guy in the house, I was slightly unaccustomed towards it and there was this strange tingly feeling within me. 

After hours of tossing and turning on the bed that was creaking under my weight, I decided to go to the kitchenette to get a glass of water. I was slightly groggy from having stayed up so late and my steps were a little heavy. Just as I entered the living room, I noticed a silhouette standing outside the balcony -- daehyun.

"Hey." I called out gently, totally forgetting my need for water and stood next to Daehyun.

"Couldn't sleep?" Daehyun asked, not leaving his eyes off the London night scenery.

I nodded, instinctively wrapping my arms around my chest as the cool wind blew against me. 

"A penny for your thoughts?" I asked. 

"I think it's worth more than that." Daehyun gave a little chuckle. "But I think it has been bothering me." 

A comfortable silence overwhelmed us as both of us admired the picturesque night sky. Watching the night sky gave me a sense of tranquility and it made me forget about the outside world momentarily. The cold wind wrapped around me and though it was bitingly cold that made my skin form goosebumps, I was at ease. The weeks that I had stayed in London, never had I gave myself a form of reflection time and now that I had a companion, I did not feel as lonely. 

“Here.” Daehyun said as he passed me the blanket from the sofa. 

I was so involved in my thoughts that I did not know that he had went back in to get imd a blanket. 

“Let’s share the blanket. You are just wearing a short-sleeve.” I said as walked closer to him and wrapped half of my blanket around him. 

“Do you really not have a mum?” Daehyun asked as he clasped both of his hands together and rested them on the balcony railing. 

“I do but she's stupid. I disowned her.” I said as I pushed my hair away from my face. 

“Why?” 

“She doesn’t even care about me. You know why I am here in London? I was forced here. My dad’s in a coma right now and my brother… he has leukaemia. My mother threatened to stop his chemotherapy if I didn’t get out of the country.” 

I continued,” My dad is on the verge of dying and the apparent inheritor to his money is me since I am the oldest. My dad knows how terrible my mother is but the law says that if both the children are unsuitable inheritors to the money, the money will go to the next family member so in the case that my dad dies, she will just make up a lie saying that I left the country because of some guy and won’t ever come back to Korea and she will get the money for herself. I mean, i am not a person who cares that much about money and my brother is really precious to me. I just needed him to get the chemotherapy. If another one of my family dies, how am I ever going to live?” I sighed. 

“I am sorry.” Daehyun softly said. 

“Nah, I knew all this crap would happen. It was just a matter of time. Besides, life is never perfect and if I want to save my brother, this is the price to pay.” I shrugged. 

“You really do love him, don’t you?” 

I nodded,” Of course. He’s a lovely kid. He deserves to live more than I do.” 

“Everyone deserves to live, okay? So don’t ever say that.” Daehyun lightly chided. 

“All right. Enough about me. So how about you? Do you have a dad?” I asked, curious to know what lived inside Daehyun. 

“He ran off with some other woman when I was five so I barely recognise him. At least, I can’t hate him that much.” Daehyun meekly said. 

“We both have difficult families, don’t we?” I gave a little unconvincing laugh. 

“That’s why we have to make the most out of our lives.” Daehyun agreed. 

“Are you free tomorrow?” Daehyun asked, after moments of silence. 

I slowly nodded,”If Heejun doesn’t ask me out.” 

“Well, it’s first come first serve. So, do you wanna go on a date with me tomorrow?” Daehyun asked, as he stared at me in anticipation. 

“Woah. You are really blunt but it’s not a date, it’s a friendly outing. Remember, I have Heejun. We are going out as friends tomorrow.” I emphasised the “friends”. 

“Oh right. And you don’t even like him.” Daehyun rolled his eyes. 

“It’s not like I like you either.” I scoffed. 

“Well then. I will make you like me.”Daehyun said with so much determination that my heart started beating rapidly. 

“We shall see.” I said, although I knew perfectly well that I did not like Heejun but I wanted to put up a strong front with Daehyun. 

“Go on and sleep now. I don’t want my date to me ugly tomorrow.” Daehyun teased as he walked out of the balcony. 

“Oh please. If anyone was ugly, it would be you. Besides, I am not your date so shut up and go sleep.” I retorted, before closing the balcony door and returning to my room.

“Night honey.” Daehyun drawled in a flirtatious voice before I closed the door to my room.