Chapter 3

The way with life
After a long day at Brown, I could already feel my contacts sticking uncomfortably to my eyes due to the dryness. I plodded on the dark streets of London, hearing the gravel crunch under my feet. I looked around, noticing that there were only a few people walking along the pavement when it was barely 9 yet. My stomach was growling and I badly needed to have dinner. Seeing that a noodle bar was still open, I exclaimed internally before proceeding into the bar. 
"One pork ramen please." I ordered as I settled down on a high stool. 
The noodle bar was a classic black and white with it's variety of alcohol displayed on a designer black shelve. As people said, alcohol was best for relieving stress but looking at the measly amount of money my step mum gave me, I guess it was time for me to ask her to deposit some money into my account. 
"Enjoy your meal." The waiter mumbled monotonously as he placed a bowl of piping hot noodles in front of me. 
In contrary to the appealing restaurant that was done up so nicely, the noodle was simply not what I expected. It was rather bland but hunger called.I needed the food. 
Just then, I felt a person slump down the high stool next to me as he ordered a bowl of spicy ramen. The voice was somewhat familiar but being too engrossed in my food, I cared less. 
"A bowl of pork ramen here?" The waited asked the person beside me within minutes. 
"What? No, I ordered spicy." The man beside me replied, a little annoyed at the service. 
"But it says here u ordered pork." The waiter insisted. 
"Oh well, whatever." The man beside me replied as he accepted the bowl and slurped his noodles noisily. 
"Bill please." I called.
I could feel that the man beside me was fidgeting and suddenly, I felt that the man was staring at me. I fumbled about with the keychains on my bag as I waited for the waiter to come back for the bill. 
"Aern't you that girl?" The man beside me asked. 
I looked up and gasped when I saw him.
It was him, the man from the airport.
I gave a little cough, trying to brush off the tense situation," well, I can be any kind of girl." 
"The girl from the airport." The man stated clearly.
"So what do you want?" I asked, a little annoyed that I was found out somehow.
"Nothing." The man quietly replied. 
"If you will excuse me." I hopped off the high stool and trudged out of the shop. 
"My mother. She died a few seconds before I got to see her." The man continued, before I went out of the shop. 
My eyes widened upon hearing the news but I regained my composure within a few seconds. 
"So, what has that got to do with me?" I coldly asked.
Guilt was overwhelming me and my heart was heavy. I clenched my fists that were trembling and I could feel the cold reality sweep over me. I wanted to break down in tears from all the stress that had built up on my shoulder, and mostly, I wanted to apologise. Apologies won't ever help but I just wanted to do something. Why was I so selfish? He could have seen his mother for the last moments, even if it was for a few seconds. However, I wanted to remain a strong front. I was stubborn. I was supposed to be a cool city girl, wasn't I? And with that, I stepped out of the bar, away into the city.