Chapter 13

The way with life

"Do you like the food?" Heejun's dad asked as he scooped another large bowl of kimchi stew for me.

I nodded my head as I grinned at Heejun's dad," I miss Korean food a lot. Thanks for inviting me over and I am so sorry about yesterday."

"It's all right. Young ladies like you have to go out and experience night life." Heejun's father chuckled.

"Has Heejun been treating you well?" Heejun's dad became serious and stared at me in the eyes.

"Yeah. He's been good to me." I replied. But I haven't been doing much for him.

"Dad! Don't pressure her!" Heejun whined as he jabbed his father softly at his ribs.

"Don't embarrass your son." Heejun's mother chided.

"Just tell me when he's mean to you,okay? I will teach him a lesson." Heejun's father said, ignoring his family's futile attempts to stop him from embarrassing Heejun.

I nodded before returning to my food.

I enjoyed being in Heejun's house throughly as it gave me family warmth that I never experienced before. The food was extremely delicious, especially after weeks of outside and instant food that was extremely unhealthy.

"Actually, there's a fair that is a 10-minute walk away from here. You guys should go. It looks pretty fun." Heejun's mum said as all of us helped to bring the dishes into the kitchen.

"It's okay. We can just stay here." I replied, not wanting to be so anti-social by leaving their house after having a good meal.

"Go on! Just treat it as a request from us. Both of us need our quiet time too." Heejun's mum winked.

"All right. If you say so Aunty." I sighed, putting down the dishes in the sink.

"Thanks so much for everything here. Have a good night!" I greeted as both Heejun and I slipped our shoes on to go to the fair. 

"Sorry. My family's really awkward sometimes." Heejun sheepishly said.

"Nah. I like them. It's just so warm and happy." I gave a little laugh.

"I bet yours is warm too.”Heejun nudged me.

“Nope. We never had a family dinner like this before and no one ever cares.” I shrugged. 

“Oh, then you could always come to my house.” Heejun offered awkwardly, notching my crestfallen face. 

“Won’t it be troublesome having an outsider over?” I asked.

“Nah. I think my parents like you. Besides, they are bored of me already and it will help to have a new face in the family.”
I nodded as I smiled,”Okay.” 

“Hey, there’s a shooting booth there. Wanna go there and play?” Heejun suggested as we strolled around the fair. 

The fair was brightly lit with colourful lights, appealing but slightly boring to the eye after a while. Many store owners were shouting to gain customers for their store and I only managed to weakly reject the store owners as they tried introducing their store to me. 

“Sure.” I agreed. 

After both of us paid for three shots each, we decided to compete and the loser had to buy the winner ice cream. 

“Ready?” Heejun asked as he steadied his stance. 

“Ready!” I chirped, excited to shoot as it had been a long time since I did that. 

With that, both of us tried aiming at the dartboards and Heejun came with the score 5,6,8 while I came with the score 7,9,9. 

“I win!” I cheered as I put my gun down.

“I let you win, all right.” Heejun shrugged.

“Oh come on. Don’t be a sore loser! You owe me ice cream!” I joked. 

“Come again next time! Have a nice date!” The store owner bid us goodbye after thanking us for our patronage. 

“So what ice cream do you want?” Heejun asked as we headed to the ice cream booth.

“Chocolate.” I immediately answered as both of us peered into the fridge. 

After buying the ice cream, we headed to a bench in a rather secluded area that was sparsely populated.
“It’s really cold today.” Heejun remarked. 

“That’s because you are having ice cream.” I gave a little laugh. 

“Oh right. Are you cold?” Heejun asked in concern, trying to adjust my scarf. 

“Yeah. I am fine. Care more about yourself.” I retorted.

“Wait. Stay there.”Heejun said as he stared at my face.

“What, why?” 

I observed that Heejun was leaning towards me and I immediately froze up. I wasn’t ready for our first kiss! 

“Umm… Heejun.” I stuttered. 

“Just wait.”

Just then, Heejun’s thumb reached out to my face as he attempted to wipe something away from my face. As his thumb touched my skin, I was slightly stunned but other than that, I was neutral to his touch.

“You clumsy girl. You had ice cream on your face!” Heejun chortled as he shook his head. 

“Oh, thanks.” I sheepishly muttered. 

What a fuss I made. 

“It’s late. Let’s go home.” Heejun glanced at his watch and stood up.

“Okay, let me throw the wrappers first.” I offered as I took Heejun’s as well and walked towards the dustbin.

“I will walk you home.” Heejun volunteered, making me refuse. 

“I like to walk home alone. At least, I can reflect on some stuff.” 

“Okay. Text me when you are back home.” Heejun reminded me. 

“Good night!” I said as both of us walked in different directions.

“JungAh, wait!” I could hear Heejun’s footsteps pounding against the pavement. 

“Ye-“

And I was interrupted by a haste kiss on my forehead from Heejun.

“Good night.” Heejun blushed a deep red as he shoved his hands in his pockets and walked away. 

I stood on the pavement, touching my forehead, trying to comprehend what had just happened. Did he just kiss me? However, my heart rate was just a little bit faster than normal. I did not feel that my heart was racing just like what others said what their first kiss was like. I was supposed to enjoy that kiss thoroughly even if it was just for a millisecond but I felt nothing. It was just like kissing my brother, oh well maybe more exciting but it was just awkward though I knew that it took a lot for Heejun to kiss me. Maybe, I was tired. I was definitely tired. Yes, JungAh, you liked the kiss. I tried to assure myself as I thought about the kiss, I felt that something was indeed missing, just waiting for me to realise. 

Once I reached home, I texted Heejun out of courtesy and when I saw his reply, I was a little taken aback, making me toss my phone aside from the confusion I was feeling. 

“I really enjoyed the date today. Love you.”