Chapter 4

The way with life

A week had passed since I was in London. I had gotten used to the gloomy weather the city offered and I had somehow acquired a little bit of the British accent. My Korean ways were long gone and now, even as I saw an older one, I never bowed and only stopped to say a casual hi or bye. Life in london was not as traditional as the life in Korea and possibly, I was starting to enjoy this carefree life. True enough, I was away from my family, well maybe not family. The only one I missed at home was my brother. My father had died when I was young so I was barely old enough to even see how he looked like in real life. He was only made known to me by the pictures I saw in those dusty and bulky photo albums kept in the storeroom that was often infested with dust. 

It was yet another monotonous day at Brown and yes, although I did not already have a good reputation in school, I was starting to enjoy it. The professors here were much more jovial and interesting than the ones in Korea and even though a bad reputation lived up to my name in psychology class, that did not stop me from making friends. 

My life in Korea was barely just a little tinge of memory behind me already but every night, I would think of that man. The man I met at the airport and the restaurant. I was still guilt-struck and after having a sense of logical thinking, I decided to apologise to him. However, how was I so sure that I would meet this man again? Was it because of the encounters we had earlier? Anyway, I was never one to apologise. It was threatening to my own cold facade but as I saw how helpless he was in the two encounters with him, I wavered. 

“JungAh!” I heard a voice call out behind me, making me turn behind to see the owner of the voice. 

“Er yeah?” I responded, upon seeing that it was Heejun, who was a korean born in London. 

Well, I would pretty much call him a Londoner already since his antics showed totally no hint of him being korean except for his facial features. 

“I was wondering if you could actually… erm… I have tickets to this movie and I was just-”

“Are you asking me out?” I interrupted, unfazed by his confession. 

Heejun laughed uncomfortably as he stared at the tickets he so weakly held in his hand. His ears were a crimson red but seeing the sincerity in his eyes, I could not help but feel a little mean. I was totally belittling this sincere confession of his and obviously, I had my own conscience. 

“It doesn’t hurt to go for a movie, right? Besides, I love movies.” I continued, earning a genuine smile from Heejun that set a twinkle in his eye. 

“So.. see you at 8 tonight?” He asked. 

I nodded, handing him my handphone number. 

“Text me the details.” I said, before proceeding to my lecture. 

I heard a chorus of cheers from his friends who had seemingly magically appeared out of nowhere. 

“You finally got that girl, huh? She’s a hard one.” I heard one of his friends say. 

I smirked. 

After my classes were done, I went back home to give myself a refreshing bath before changing into a long-sleeved dress since it was cold today. I put on a warm coat that huddled me perfectly before setting off to the theatres near town. 

                                                      ——————— 

“The show was great.” Heejun commented, as we slowly made our way down the aisle of the theatre. 

“Especially when he got slapped right flat on the face.” I cheered way to happily as I reenacted the scene again, earning a laugh from Heejun. 

“You really are different.” 

“What’s so different? I am just JungAh.” I muttered. 

“It’s just, I don’t know. I think I like you.” Heejun admitted, leaving me to stop in my tracks. 

Of course, when Heejun was trying to ask me out, I was emotionless and obviously, I went out with him as I was so guilty at his sincerity. I never knew that I would give him the wrong idea. I did not feel those little tingles in my heart when I saw him and neither did I feel exhilarated when he confessed to me. I never knew that he would profess his liking for me so quickly after merely just one date and right now, I was baffled. 

“I am sorry. My emotions just… but I am serious. I really really like you. You are just different. You don’t know how happy I was when you accepted my invitation just now.”Heejun continued, making me stare at the floor because of the awkwardness. 

“So, what do you say about us starting to date?” Heejun genuinely asked, making me stare straight into his dark brown orbs. 

Just then, I spotted a familiar figure walking in front of me, making my eyes widen. 

“Yes!” I exclaimed as I ran towards that figure, leaving Heejun to stand there. 

However, I was too late. The person that I was looking for had suddenly disappeared. I sighed in defeat and before I could think about finding him any further, Heejun caught up with me. 

“Aww, you are so cute. Why were you so embarrassed after agreeing to my confession? You didn’t have to run away.” Heejun cooed as he patted my head, making me cringe. 

I hated people to pat me on the head. I started readjusting my hair again, before I stopped at whatever I was doing.

“Did you just say I agreed to your confession?” I asked, bewildered. 

“Yeah, you were so embarrassed that you even ran away.” Heejun teased, not knowing that I was confused by this series of events. 

Why in my life would I say yes to him? I did not even like him. As I thought back to what happened, I finally realised that what I did was a mistake. In hopes of finding the man, I ha totally let those words slip out of my mouth. Oh damn. Now I was in trouble.