Chapter 6

The way with life

“Babe, so how was your studying yesterday? Did you miss me?” Heejun said flirtatiously as he put his face dangerously close to mine as I hung off the bench, trying to avoid his face. 

I purposely gave a vigorous cough, making Heejun pull back away from me.

“Are you okay, babe?” Heejun asked in concern as he patted my back, trying to relieve me of my coughing fits. 

Damn, his names were getting more extreme. 

“Just, you know choked on saliva.” I muttered.

“JungAh!” Erin from psychology class called out from a distance away. 

“Oh hey!” I greeted, standing up. 

“Did you know that there’s this really hot guy coming for our psychology class later? He’s so-“ 

Heejun interrupted Erin with a loud  cough, obviously wanting her to scram. 

“JungAh, wanna grab some coffee?” Heejun asked, as he pulled on my arm, dragging me out of the school garden. 

“See you later Ahjung.” Erin waved as she walked off, her footsteps heard as she plodded on the soft snow that had been collected from the storm the night before. 

Since guys were the last things on my list since Heejun came into my life, I did not really care about a new guy coming into our new class and I just wanted to focus on graduating Brown, get a degree and get a job in Korea. 

Since the embarrassing experience with the professor in psychology class, I came into the lecture hall ten minutes earlier to get myself ready. Luckily, Heejun was not in the same class as me as he was taking courses on electrical engineering and I was partially thankful for that. The students in the lecture hall were busy talking and loud buzzes of conversations could be heard. Just when the professor stepped into the hall, the hall immediately went quiet. 

“We are going to have a test today on all the topics we have learnt in this few weeks.”The professor announced, earning some groans from the students. 

I was rather confident for this test since i had managed to spend some time revising psychology and I was pretty sure that I would not fail on the test. 

Once the test started, only the rustling of papers could be heard and after 45 minutes, I managed to finish the paper. I glanced at the sea of students in front of me, some clenching their fists with pale faces from having to ponder on their questions while some had confidence all written over their faces. Since there was 15 minutes before the test finished, I decided to look for the new student in this vast sea of students. Anyway, it was time for me to actually recognise the faces of my peers in the same class as me. As I scanned through the students, my eyes suddenly widened. It was Daehyun. I immediately used the file I had in my bag to cover my face, afraid that he would look behind and recognise me. Oh damn ,why do we keep meeting? This is so embarrassing! I put down my pride just for him and apologised even. How was I going to face him? From the awkward position I was in, my was starting to feel sore and I started fidgeting. 

“Would you stop moving?” The girl on my left whispered. 

I sheepishly muttered an apology, before finding a comfortable position to sit in. Was Daehyun the new student Erin was possibly talking about. He fitted the description of a hot boy since Erin had good taste in boys. Not that I liked Daehyun but indeed, he was handsome, even more good-looking than Heejun. (sorry Heejun I was never interested in you) 

“Pens down everyone and pass your scripts down.” The professor spoke into the microphone. 

I let out a small leap of joy. That would mean that I could escape Daehyun right now. 

“No homework today and enjoy your weekend everyone.” The professor said before dismissing the class. 

Fortunately, I only had psychology today so I could finally go home and have a good sleep, unless… Heejun had other plans for… us. However, now, the only thing I had to worry about was running away from Daehyun. 

Once i exited the lecture hall, I immediately dashed out into the nearest washroom and locked myself into a cubicle. I panted heavily as I sat on the cover of the toilet bowl when suddenly, I heard male voices. What were they doing in a female toilet? Were they rapists? My heart started palpitating as I held my breath. Someone, just anyone, save me. 

“Funny that I smell a woman’s perfume in the toilet. Did you find a girlfriend or something?” One guy asked the other. 

“Hell no. I am single.” The guy answered. 

I sniffed my own shirt. My shirt reeked of strong perfume that I had possibly over put in the morning. Crap. These guys did not sound like erts. Unless, was I in the male toilet? As that realisation dawned upon me, I was flustered. Oh no, what was I going to do? 

When I heard the two guys’ footsteps fade away, I slowly let myself out of the cubicle and tried creeping out. Checking that the coast was clear, I hastened my footsteps towards the exit of the toilet when I suddenly saw Daehyun. A very surprised Daehyun.