Chapter 22

The way with life

“Daehyun, please just” I desperately said as I tightly hugged Daehyun who was crying hysterically on the floor. 

 

The cold marble floor stung my skin as I tried comforting him but it couldn’t be compared to the emptiness I felt in my heart as I saw Daehyun in so much pain. The way he clutched his chest, giving out woeful and antagonising sobs made me cringe as I hugged him even more tightly. As minutes passed, the tears that had once coarsed Daehyun’s cheeks had dried up, leaving a few streaks of tears on his face and his eyes were blood-shot red. He exuded a somewhat helpless disposition, making me feel the same as I sat next to him, waiting for him to stop crying. 

 

And because I was afraid of crying as it gave me a sense of helplessness in the world, I was afraid to aggravate Daehyun. The tears that were just salty droplets of water just like the sea… 

The vast sea that could give us a sense of calmness when it whispered mysteriously as it dampened the shore, as if it was speaking to us. But in reality, the tears that were somewhat similar to the sea were deadly to our emotions and it taught us reality. That was the point — reality hurts. 

 

“I am so scared.” Daehyun’s voice was a little shaky as he sprawled his legs over the cold marble floor. 

 

And I pulled him into a hug again. 

 

Because I knew he needed it. He needed a sense of security and the scent of a person beside him. Someone to care for him, someone to share his woes. 

 

“I am here, okay?” I smiled softly as I slowly patted his vanilla-scented hair that slipped through my hands every time I raked through his hair. 

“I know that, that’s why I am scared.” 

“Why?” I said in a soothing voice. 

“Someone so close to me like my family could just do this to me and I am afraid that something like that will happen to us.” 

“A relationship is like a game. You can win or lose but it’s a matter of how you play the game and to play the game, you need to take a risk. No matter what the outcome is, it’s the journey that counts and it’s the strongest that wins. Will you take that risk?” I asked.

 

Daehyun nodded. 

 

“Firstly, do you trust me?” 

 

Daehyun nodded. 

 

“And I say that you stay be more open-minded towards your dad’s situation.” 

“But he’s one hell of a bastard. He could be lying for all I care!” Daehyun shouted with anger flamed in his eyes. 

“Yes, he was wrong for just walking out on all of you but Daehyun, think about it, he’s the only family you have. Are you going to live your life hating him? Life is way too short for us to have so much hatred for someone, okay? As much as my mother’s a , I just gotta accept the fact that I am here and it really hurts not to have any family by my side but you do.” I explained. 

“You are enough!” Daehyun retorted.

“Oh please, Daehyun. You heard of the saying “blood is thicker than water”? However much you love me, it’s the fact that your family is the closest to you. I love you a lot, you know that. That’s why I don’t want you to suffer like me. Do you understand?” I said, exasperated. 

“What do you even know? Why would I wanna be with my father who was so selfish and didn’t even have his family as people he could trust?” Daehyun scoffed.

“And what do you even know? Why do you think your father came all the way from Korea just to find you?” I yelled as I stood up, annoyed at Daehyun’s indignance. 

“I need time, all right. I need time to accept him.” Daehyun sighed and immediately, guilt overwhelmed me for being so worked up.

“I am sorry.” I muttered apologetically. 

“No, you have a point. But I need time, a lot of time.” Daehyun softly said.

“Thank you.” I smiled in gratitude.

“What for? I should thank you for talking sense into me.”

“For trying. And for trying not to be in the same boat as me.” 

“Let’s get me back up on the bed.” Daehyun chuckled. 

“Oh right.” 

I helped Daehyun as he weakly hobbled back to his bed, letting the bed creak a little under his weight. 

“I think we need to bring you for physio.” I frowned at his legs. 

“I hate that.” Daehyun whined. 

“I am gonna go make arrangements.” I said firmly, making Daehyun groan.

 

————————

 

“He’s progressing well and he should be able to walk without help in about a week’s time but of course, he still has to come for monthly check-ups after he is discharged.” The doctor said, making Daehyun pout a little at the word “check-ups”.

“By the way, your girlfriend really loves you a lot. She came here every single day to visit you when you were in a coma.” The doctor chuckled, making Daehyun grin.

“Oh really.” Daehyun drawled as I pretended to look away. 

The doctor shook his head in amusement sa he walked out of the ward, leaving Daehyun and me. 

“Woah. You were really hardcore, huh?” Daehyun taunted, making me blush a deep shade of red. 

“Well, no one visited you so I sympathised with you. Be thankful, all right.” I muttered. 

“I never asked anyone o visit me anyway.” Daehyun teased.

“Oh well then, since you don’t want anyone to visit, I could just go out with Heejun or something-“

“Okay fine fine! You win!” Daehyun scowled.

“We still have to tell Daehyun about us, you know.” Daehyun suddenly said, making me silent. 

“I guess…” 

“When I get out of here.” Daehyun grinned. “Then you are all mine.” 

 

Just then, the door slid open and I heard a fairly familiar voice call my name out.

 

My eyes widened as my heart started hammering against my ribcage. 

 

It was Heejun.