Chapter 17

The way with life
"Daehyun please be fine please be fine." I muttered as I paced up and down the corridor. 
The hospital was bustling with activity as the doctors loosely hung their stethoscopes around their shoulders walked around for their routine check and nurses clad in their white uniforms were walking to and fro with clipboards in their hands. The hospital reeked of antiseptic, making it seem extremely sterile, the white floors were gleaming with it's polished shine and mostly,the white finishing of the hospital was intimidating. It gave me a sense of loneliness and a never-ending flow of problems to think about along with the blank walls that badly needed some colour. 
I thought about Daehyun who was lying on the cold stainless steel bed in the operating theatre and gave a deep sigh. My heart was clenched with worry and my hands were clammy with cold sweat. Every now and then, I would give a little sigh to relieve a little bit of the pressure I lay on myself. That was when I reminisced the times I would wait outside worriedly for my brother during his chemotherapy but as I waited for Daehyun, I had no idea why I was so immensely worried for him, just as how I was worried for my brother. I mean of course, it would make sense that I would care badly for my brother but Daehyun? He was just a friend. 
Just then, I remembered the nurse reminding me to call his parents but then again, Daehyun had no family. I guess I was the only one to be of a companion to him.
Besides that, I was rather confused at the fact that I was on Daehyun's speed dial. It wasn't like he usually called me or did this just prove the feelings he developed for me? I sighed again, thinking about the complicating love triangle I had fallen into. I mean, didn't these things only happen in dramas? 
"Daehyun's family?" A surgeon burst out of the operating theatre.
My ears pricked up and I immediately dashed towards the surgeon, anticipating good news.
"What's your relationship with the patient?" He asked as he pushed his glasses up his nose.
"A friend." I hesitantly replied.
"Where's his family?" The doctor asked, bewildered.
"He has none." I quietly replied.
"Oh okay. Erm.. I have bad and good news." The surgeon sighed then continued," the operation was a success and he's alive and everything but I have a feeling that he will be in a coma." 
"What? So you mean he will never wake up?" I yelled at the doctor as I shook him roughly by the shoulders.
"He has a 10% chance of waking up and he needs a lot of support and will of his own to wake up. Since you seem like his good friend, you have to help him." The doctor explained.
"Where is he now? Can I go see him now?" I asked, letting go of the surgeon.
"The nurses will direct you to his ward but for now, please fill in his particulars form." The doctor instructed as he pointed towards the administrative counter. 
------ 
As I slowly walked into Daehyun's ward, fear overwhelmed me. Could I help Daehyun wake up? Would he ever wake up? 
"Daehyun?" I called out, hoping that he would answer but there was no reply.
I slumped down into a chair beside his bed and stared at Daehyun as I traced his features. 
A chiseled jaw, sharp nice and full lips. Even still, he still deserved to live as a young guy. He still deserved to date, marry someone, get kids and everything. Why was he so unlucky? I had to help him no matter what. 
I unconsciously took his hand that was warm and at least, that reassured me. I put his hand to my face, wanting to feel the warmth of his callused hands and played with his fingers.
Wait what was I doing? I quickly let go of his hand, letting it bounce softly onto the bed, feeling a sudden coldness in my hand.
I badly had the temptation of holding Daehyun's hand again, just to comfort myself but I was prideful. However, as I saw Daehyun's peaceful sleeping face again, I told myself that it was perfectly fine holding his hand since no one would know and I guess it was helping him so I hesitantly reached for his hand again. 
"Daehyun, you have to wake up okay? We still have unfinished business. Remember, you only have a month so you had better wake up." I gave a little chuckle, but I knew I was starting to feel sad. 
Was he ever going to wake up? 
 
 
I am just curious and I wonder how you guys want this story to end haha. I am contemplating between two endings now haha. Have a good weekend!