Chapter 24

The way with life

“We are finally out after such a long time!” Daehyun exclaimed once we set foot on the soft sand that seemed to wallop the base of our soles every time we walked. 

“Yeah. It was so stifling in there.” I chuckled. 

“It just reeked of antiseptic, okay.” Daehyun scowled. 

“Oh come on, I was in there too. Don’t complain so much.” I lightly chided. 

 

“I realised that the beach was more beautiful than when we first came here.” I mused, as both Daehyun and I sat down on the white and soft sand that slipped through our fingers whenever we touched it. 

“Me too.” Daehyun agreed. “I guess it’s because we were so constricted back then, we barely got to enjoy it but now that our mind is kind of clear, everything seems beautiful.”

“I guess… I think my brother would have loved it here. He’s been stuck in the hospital for so long and I haven’t talked to him for a few months already. I wonder how he is doing.” I sighed as Daehyun gently patted my head, letting me rest on his shoulders. 

“Since you made that deal, you have got to keep it right? Just think about how happy and healthy he will be after his chemotherapy.” 

And that was how I loved Daehyun. Because he never gave me superficial answers to  make me happy but constructive replies that made me think. The wisdom that he exuded was what I admired and it taught me every day.

 

“So what do you want to do after this?” I asked as Daehyun went deep in thought.

“I think… we should go meet my father.” Daehyun hesitantly replied. 

“Are you sure you are ready for this?” 

Daehyun nodded,” I mean I have to face reality. If things were supposed to be this way, I just have to accept it. Anyway, you will be there supporting me.” 

“Thanks for actually listening to me.” I smiled as I played around with his fingers.

“I thought about it a lot, you know. You are right, I don’t want any regrets. What for lose out because of your persistence when you can gain something if you can let your pride down?” Daehyun stared out into the sea, with the waves lapping gently on the shore. 

 

——————-

“Your dad must be having a hard time.” I said as we walked into the poorer streets of London that had houses showing signs of wear and tear. 

Daehyun nodded,” His house should be just round this corner.” 

“I think it’s this house.” Daehyun glanced at the address messily scrawled along a slip of white paper once we made a right turn, 

We spotted a house that was painted in a coat of orange, standing out from all the house in the estate. The orange had obviously been a “no choice but to make do with it” colour to probably cover the obvious signs of a run-down house.

I nodded, urging Daehyun to ring the doorbell and soon, we discerned a man who was running out of the house. 

“How may I help you?” The door flung open, revealing an unknown stranger. 

“We are looking for Mr Jung.” Daehyun said, a little taken aback from this unknown individual.

“Oh, I will go call him out now. Meanwhile, you can make yourselves comfortable at my living room.” The man gesticulated towards the house. 

“By the way, who are you?” Daehyun asked as he took off his shoes. 

“The owner of this house. Your dad rents a room here.” The man replied, before disappearing up the stairs that creaked noisily under his weight. 

Both of us stared at about the house— the walls mouldy from the moisture collected in this house,  a few paintings hung lopsidedly on the white walls that were specked with bits of black. The piano in the middle of the living room was obviously untouched for years, or maybe decades, considering the thick layer of dust that rested on it. 

 

“Daehyun?” 

“H-Hi.” Daehyun gave a little bow and ran a hand through his hair, showing his discomfort in this situation.

“Hi Mr Jung.” I greeted.

“What are you two doing here?” Mr jung asked, flustered. 

“We came to visit.” Daehyun said in a hostile voice. 

“But I thought-“

“You are my only family so I figured that I needed you.” Daehyun gave a little cough, a little embarrassed at his own reply. 

“Oh, umm… please sit down. I will get you both some drinks.” Mr Jung’s face lit up in a smile as he shuffled into the kitchen and brought out two glasses of water. 

“I have nothing much here as you can see.” He glanced uneasily at the interior of the house. “Please make do with this.” 

“It’s fine, Mr Jung.” I smiled.

“I saw you in the hospital before. May I ask who are you?” 

“She’s my girlfriend.” Daehyun immediately replied before I could even say anything. 

“Oh, my son has grown up well, huh.” Mr Jung chuckled. 

“Of course. Mum brought me up well.” Daehyun scoffed, causing his father to uneasily chuckle. 

“I am really sorry for everything. I promise… I will make it up to you. All those years I wasn't with you, I will do my best.” 

“And how will you do that?” Daehyun raised his eyebrows, anticipating for an answer. 

“I will be the father you have ever imagined. A loving father.” Mr Jung said, his voice sounding a little pleading. 

“Sounds feasible. You promise never to run away again right?” Daehyun’s eyes narrowed into silts. 

“I won’t ever. I promise.” 

“If JungAh says yes, I will recognise you as my father.” Daehyun smirked as he looked at me. 

I cast him a disapproving frown as I mouthed “do it yourself.”

“She says yes.” Daehyun grinned. 

I sighed at Daehyun’s pathetic attempt to try cover up his forgiveness for his father but I was ecstatic. 

“Thank you so much JungAh.” Mr Jung gratefully grabbed onto my arm as I patted his back.

Thank Daehyun instead. 

‘Anyway, JungAh and I are going out for lunch tomorrow and I wondered if you wanted to join us. You are paying of course.” 

“Daehyun…” I muttered. 

“Oh fine fine. I will pay for it since I initiated this.” 

“No, it’s okay I can pay.” Mr Jung offered. 

“Anyway, see you tomorrow.” Daehyun casually gave a wave to his father and stalked out of the door. 

Once the door closed, Daehyun breathed out heavily he stared at me. 

“I did well, didn’t I?” Daehyun looked at me, eyes cast with worry. 

“Yes, you did. Anyway, about tomorrow, let’s just split the bill between the two of us, okay?”

“But-“

“You know me, you know how much I hate it when people pay for me.” I frowned. 

“Fine, you always win.” Daehyun pouted, leaving me with a crooked grin. 

 

Hey guys! I saw your comments and I was honestly touched by it. Now that I think about it maybe at least 2-3 more chaps. Don’t worry! i won’t disappear after this story, i have another story “Insecurities with love II” and please do check it out okay!