Chapter 2

The way with life
 The air in London was much moister  than the air in Seoul and I was already starting to miss my hometown. Seoul taxi cabs were replaced with the bright red London cabs while everyone around me was speaking in English with their thick British accent, making me feel out of place with my Seoul accent. How was I ever going to fit into this big city? I could feel something tug within the pits of my stomach and being the immature me, I did not want to accept the fact. The fact that I was in London, the fact of my existence, the reason why I was even here and how I was actually going to escape. I was already 19 and I wanted to honestly tell Myself to stop being a baby, to get a life and find a way to live here and since I had already made a deal, I had to stick to it. The reality I was stuck in— thrown into London without an escape. As much as I was a cold and ignorant girl, I had feelings too. I badly missed my dog, Scruffles and  my brother. 
Speaking of my brother, I wondered how he was. Was he still having those sudden pains in his stomach? Was he studying well? 
    "Need a cab, miss? You have been standing here for a long time." One of the airport staff offered, leaving me to nod my head and thank him as I hopped into the taxi and gave the driver my address. 
  At least, the people here were helpful. 
  Just as the taxi was about to drive off, I spotted that familiar head of brown hair and gasped. It was the man from before. I immediately ducked my head, hoping that he would not be able to catch a glimpse of me.
  When I reached my apartment, I took off my boots and carelessly threw them to the side and wheeled my luggage in. The apartment I was given was nothing much. It was just a little two bedroom apartment with a small kitchenette and a small living room with a dark brown oak coffee table and an old-fashioned television in front. The sofa was a little worn out but was still usable and all in all, THe apartment was in a livable state. There was a balcony beside the living room that oversaw part of London and I could feel the cool breeze against my face and gently ruffling my hair into all sorts. 
  I could already foresee the reality drawn out before me and sighed as I slumped into the sofa in the living room and succumbed to sleep.
  The next morning, I could feel the early winter sun beating down onto my face that made me groan in my sleep. I woke up with a jolt upon realising that I had university to attention. I checked for the time on my phone and gave a little shriek. I was going to be late! I quickly changed into warm clothes,washed up and in 15 minutes, I was ready to go. 
"Key, keys, keys." I fumbled as i desperately tried to the keys in my bag to lock the door. Finally, I spotted a shiny gleamy object in my bag, stuck the key in the hole and turned it. 
Within minutes, I was met with the intimidating brown tower of the university and sighed. Would I be able to cope in this foreign English world? I plodded into the grand hallway, it's floor gleaming with shine, it's arched windows that had the bright morning sun cast on it. The wall was an immaculate off-white and there was a loud buzz of chatter within the school compound. I headed to the school office, got my timetable and sighed. It was psychology first. I was late by 15 minutes for the lesson and I tried to slip into a seat,unnoticed. 
"What's your name?" The professor called out as he pointed at me with a disapproving look.
The students in the lecture theatre immediately turned to where the professor was pointing– me. I swore I could hear some people whistling and some people cooing as I sheepishly stood up. 
"I am JungAh. Kim JungAh." I confidently introduced myself, knowing that I had landed myself into some trouble.
"Boy over there, tell me, how did I say I was going to grade all of you this semester?" The professor asked, as he pointed to the guy in front of him. 
"30% of our grade is going to be based on our attendance, 20% on participation and the other 50% for our assignments." The guy answered. 
Dang.
"Very well, Ms Kim Jung Ah . You just got 5 marks deducted." The professor stated before droning on with his lecture. 
"Wait! It's just the first lesson." I protested at the unfairness. 
"Exactly. You can't even be punctual for your first lesson?" The professor cocked his eyebrows quizzically before shaking his head.
I sheepishly ducked my head in embarrassment as I sat down,  earning a few smirks from the people around me.
It was only the first day but I was already gaining a reputation for myself and I was Feeling hopeless and odd. I was Asian and loads of other people around me were Londoners, different hair, different skin colour. Please, just when can I go back home?