09

Looking For Their Princess

"So... I thought you said it was just you guys living here." Heechul said as he followed them through the garden.

"It is just us." Jongdae replied.

"What about the oracle?"

"Well.." Zitao scratched the back of his neck. "You'll have to wait until we get there. It's kind of hard to explain about the Oracle."

Heechul didn't look satisfied at the response though he stopped talking about it.

Finally they got to a tall white gazebo, bare of any furnishings except for a single white stand in the middle. A glowing green orb sat in the middle of the table.

"Um.." Heechul looked around as if he expected someone else to jump out of a hiding place.

"That's the Oracle." Joonmyeon nodded at the orb.

"It's a glass ball! How can it be an oracle?"

Appearances can be deceiving, Kim Heechul.

Heechul yelped and looked over at the ball. A tendril of green smoke floated out of it, slowly coming towards him. "What-?"

Relax, Kim Heechul. I'm only going to help you.

"Uh.." The redhead eyed the smoke, dodging behind Sehun. "No, thanks. I don't need any help."

Suddenly everything went black. As if from a tunnel, he heard Sehun speak. "Looks like it's in him."

What's in me? Heechul tried to ask but he couldn't open his mouth.

I'm inside you, Kim Heechul. You don't need to fear me.

Oh, that's a relief, he thought sarcastically. The green smoke doesn't want to hurt me.

There was a pause then he could swear he'd heard a sigh.

You never have controlled your thoughts around me.

What?! I've never been around you before!

You have. Just not in this body. It's time for you to remember!

It was like the lights all came on at once with that word. Images poured into his mind, all different people but somehow he knew they were all him - or they had been him at one point. One thing was common with all the memories though. He could see twelve young men with each of his past selves. Twelve very familiar men...

They don't get reincarnated with me..

No. It was their punishment for not protecting you that first time.

When the Shadows came.

Yes.

Why? What happened to me?

The Shadows killed you. And each of your past incarnations. Without the ruler of Exo, the Guardians can't call up their true power. If you die, the power dies with you.

What happens if we destroy the Shadows?

You will live a long, happy life with your consorts here on Exo.

My consorts?

Stop pretending you don't remember. You know very well what you have to do now.

Fine.. Let's get it over with then.