Amusement Park

He Wants A Noona, But I'm His Dongsaeng

  On Saturday, I woke up super early so I could choose my clothes for today. It’s not going to be too hot nor will it be too cold, so what should I wear? It has to be comfortable because we’ll be walking a ton. Also, it can’t be too showy because I know Jonghyun doesn’t like girls like that.

  It took me a while to choose, but I managed with some plaid shorts and a Hello Kitty shirt with a hoodie on top. Now my hair. That’s easy. I’ll just tie it up in a bun which is what I did.

  Unnie already knew I was going with Jonghyun to the amusement park today, so she prepared breakfast for me. When I came downstairs, she too was ready. “Going somewhere?” I ask her.

  She blushes. “Jeongmin’s taking me on a date. I think it’s the perfect day since you’re also going out. Come on. Eat. Breakfast is ready.”

  I smile, seeing pancakes. Yum. I start devouring them one by one until I was bloated. I’m so glad I was wearing this hoodie. That way you won’t see my round stomach forming.

  Moments later, I hear the doorbell ring, but when I answered it, Jeongmin was the one waiting at the doorway. I steeped aside to let him in. “Unnie’s eating right now. Feel free to stay.” As he entered, I poke my head out the door, checking if I would catch a glimpse of Jonghyun coming, but he was no where to be found.

  I watch as Jeongmin enters the dinning room, giving Unnie a peck on the cheek, and asking, “Are you ready?”

  She nods. “Almost.” She takes her last bite into her pancake and stands up, wiping her lips and hands with a napkin. “I’ll see you tonight, In Young-ah. Make sure you call me when you get home.”

   “I will. Have a good time!” I wave at them as they head out the door. Now, where is my ‘date?’

  It took about 30 minutes until I heard the doorbell ring once again. I open the door, pouting a bit. I spent so much time getting ready early and he comes after half an hour? Ish… I didn’t let him in. Instead, I went outside, pulling his arm. “Let’s go! There’s so many rides I want to go on right now! I hope the lines aren’t long.”

  We walk like this until we reached the park. We waited in line to pay for the tickets. I could see Jonghyun getting ready to pay, but I stop him. “I’m paying. Don’t worry about it.”

  He gives me a worried look before giving in, stuffing his wallet back in his pocket. I smile, feeling victorious.

  We finally paid for the ticket and enter. “Where do you want to go to first?” I ask him.

  “Anywhere.” His eyes began to wander around the place as if remembering something.

  I wonder if he’s still afraid of the roller coasters and I also wonder if we’ll have a chance to ride the Ferris wheel this time. I’m going to start off easy and make our way up. Maybe the tea cups will be fine. Anybody can ride there. I take his arm once again and drag him to that line. To my surprise, there was a lot of teenagers her along with little kids with their family. This is a good start.

  We waited in line for a while before getting our own tea cup. Before it started, I ask, “Do you want to spin it?”

  “You can, if you want,” he offers.

  “Are you sure?”

  “Yeah.”

  Oh, he’s going to regret it!

  The moment it started, I spun the wheel as fast as I could. My body began to slide closer to Jonghyun, but I didn’t pay too much attention. I was having so much fun, making both of us dizzy. Ha! This is why I shouldn’t be doing the tea cups.

  I was feeling sick after awhile because of the pancakes and let of the wheel. I hold onto my stomach. “Ugh. I’m tired.”

  Jonghyun starts laughing, patting my head.

  I wanted to glare at him, but I was too sick to even do that.

  The minute the ride was over, I was relieved and jumped off the tea cup the moment they unlocked it. I felt dizzy, loosing my balance. Jonghyun caught me just in time and drag me off.

  “Where to now?” I ask a bit slurred.

  “Maybe some games?”

  Again? Hm. This is really like a repeat of the past. “Okay. I guess so. What game?”

  His eyes went to the same place where he won that miniature panda bear. His memory is coming back without him noticing it. He comes up to it and pays to play. It was the game where he had to pop a balloon and the higher the number, the better the prize. I thought this was a waste, but Jonghyun didn’t care. He continued to play until he won something. It was smaller than the panda bear, but it was cute.

  This time, he won two key chains, both with a bunny at the end. One of the bunnies was baby blue while the other was pastel pink. He hands me the pink one. “Here. I’ll keep the blue while you keep the pink.”

  I couldn’t help, but smile and take it, stuffing it in my pocket. I am certainly going to keep this forever!

  “Where to next?” I hear him ask.

  “Mm…” Somewhere light for now. “Want to ride that ship that goes back and forth?”

  He gulps, but agrees, “Uh… Okay.”

  So he’s still afraid or what? “Let’s go.” I take his hand and once again, we wait in another long line. “Want the ends or middle?” I ask.

  “It doesn’t matter.”

  Yeah it does… I can see it in his face. Is he still afraid of heights? “We’ll go in the middle. It doesn’t go as high as the ends.” I was feeling slightly disappointed, but I didn’t want to ruin this day for him. I’ll do whatever it takes to make it fun for both of us.

  When it was our turn, we head to the middle and buckle up. As the ship filled and the bars were pulled down, I could see Jonghyun gripping the bar, knuckles turning white. I gently place a hand on top of his and smile. “Hwaiting!” I mouth, taking my hand away to make a fist.

  He gives a weak grin and stiffens the moment the ride starts. Aw… So cute.

  After that, we rode a couple more rides before deciding to eat. “What do you want to eat?” I ask. I feel like a guide, asking Jonghyun what he wanted as if I knew everything here.

  “I feel like having a soft pretzel.” Jonghyun replies, staring at the pretzel stand.

  Oo… Something different. We line up and buy two soft pretzels. I got the cinnamon while Jonghyun got the salted with cheese. Hm… That’s something different. I never tried soft pretzels with cheese. We sat at a table and started munching. I guess Jonghyun noticed me staring at the cheese because he offers it to me. “Do you want to try it?”

  I nod, ready to dip my cinnamon pretzel in, but he stops me, tearing a piece of his and dipping it in the cheese. He hands it to me. “It tastes better with the salted or plain kind.”

  I reach out for it, but he pulls away. “Yah!”

  He smirks. “Ah!” He opens his own mouth, showing what I should do. Jonghyun wanted to feed me himself.

  I sigh and open my mouth. He shoves the pretzel in my mouth. I nearly choked on it because I wasn’t expecting him to put the whole thing in my mouth. I chew carefully. Hey, it doesn’t taste that bad. Man, I kind of wish I ordered the same as him. “Want some of mine?” I ask.

  He opens his mouth, answering me.

  I shake my head and smile. I tear out a huge chunk and stuff the whole thing into his mouth. He too nearly chokes, but scold me, “Yah! Too much!”

  I laugh like crazy as I got my revenge.

  He reaches for me, but I lean back, getting out of his reach. I chew onto my pretzel as I avoided him. This was getting interesting.

  Since he finished his pretzel first, he stands and wraps his arms around my shoulder, squeezing me. “I’m going to get you for that,” he whispers in my ear.

  I shiver, not feeling intimidated by him. I actually like the fact that his arms are around me. “It’s not my fault! I was getting revenge on you for do that to me too.”

  He lets go of me. “I didn’t do that on purpose though!”

  “Sure you didn’t… Anyways, where to next?”

  “Let’s walk around for a bit. I don’t want to throw up on the other rides.”

  “Okay. Let’s go.” I start walking while he follows me. I really do feel like a tour guide right now. Every ride we passed, I ask if he wanted to ride it with me. A few he said nothing and the other few, he gave a hesitant sure, while on the rest he was certain. Aish… This boy is really picky! I took note on all the ones I wanted to ride on when we were ready and one of them was the parachute. The moment we were near, I stop. “Let’s go here.”

  His eyes stare at the parachute. “Is that even safe?”

  “It’s perfectly safe. See, look!” I point at the couple who was heading to the top. “Let’s go.” I drag him to the nearest parachute which was the red one. I sit down, followed by Jonghyun.

  The person worked there gave us a warm smile and pulled down the bar after we buckled up. She headed to the machine and turned it on. The parachute rose until we could see the whole park. For a moment, I felt afraid, but since Jonghyun was next to me, my fear went away. I turn my head, seeing his eyes tightly shut and he was muttering something to himself. I once again, place a hand on his, causing him to jump and look at me. This time, instead of pulling away, I kept them there, squeezing his.

  Soon, we were at the top and the parachute drop, giving my stomach and weird feeling for a moment. Jonghyun must’ve felt that same way because he lets out a quiet yelp.

  There were many other rides we went to before the sun started to set. This was the perfect time to go on the Ferris wheel. I wanted to go on this time. Last time we didn’t because Jonghyun didn’t want to.

  “Let’s ride the Ferris wheel.” I say, tugging onto his arm.

  He stares at the huge wheel, gulping. “There?”

  “Yeah! It’s going to be fun.”

  “Uhm…” His face turns pale. “I guess.”

  “If you don’t want to…” I was feeling a bit disappointed.

  “Aniyo. Let’s go.” This time, he was the one to pull me into something.

  It was a pretty long line because this was a perfect time to ride. The lights would come on as you watch the sun setting and the amusement park will come into life. Of course many people would love to experience something like that.

  We sat down, facing each other. I was staring out the window as he was staring at the ground. For a moment, it was complete silence as we went higher and higher, pausing every time a new group came in and out.

  I wonder why Jonghyun is so afraid of heights. I didn’t want to ask him for I might hurt his feelings, so I held my tongue.

  “Thank you.” He mutters.

  “Huh?”

  “Thank you for taking me here. I had a great time. I’m sorry if I held you back…”

  “Aniyo! I had a great time, too! It was fun…” Just your presence made my day better.

  He manages to raise his head and smile at me.

  I lean forward, grabbing his hands. “If you ever feel nauseous, just tell me.”

  He leans in closer, resting his head on my shoulder. “Is it okay if I do this?” He whispers, his warm breath blowing on my neck.

  This time, I didn’t feel anything and remained normal. “Ne. I don’t mind.” I, too, lay my head against him, enjoying his warmth. Everything around me began to disappear and only me and Jonghyun was left in the world. I felt comfortable with him and wish everyday could be like this. I close my eyes and let this moment last.

  He shifts, raising his head.

  For a moment, we stare into each others eyes before he says, “In Young-ah.” He says my name, softly. “How long have we’ve known each other?”

  Hearing that, made my heart cringe, remembering he doesn’t have his full memories back. “A long time, when I was in sixth grade.”

  “Mianhe. For forgetting.”

  “I don’t blame you.”

  We just stare into each other, the atmosphere becoming tense. I had no idea what to say or do. Now I see how Chunji feels. I feel like I have to say or do something or else he would just run away. But there’s nothing to say. In fact I have nothing to say.

  I could feel myself leaning close to him, but I stop. No. I can’t do this. My eyes look into Jonghyun. He was still looking into me, deeply. It seemed like he wasn’t there, but a ghost.

  The Ferris wheel kept on going as our eyes met. I could see Jonghyun coming closer, wanting to kiss me or at least that’s what I thought he wanted, but pauses, eyes wide. “Ah! Uh…” He sits up straight and stare out the opening, only closing his eyes once more.

  I let out a mental sigh. I wanted that kiss actually. I wanted to know what Unnie felt when she kissed Jeongmin. I wanted to feel his soft lips touching mine. Of course it wouldn’t happen. He doesn’t like me that way, anyways.

  The Ferris wheel was our last ride before he dropped me off.

  “I’ll see on Monday,” he says, as we stood by the doorway.

  I smile. “Yeah. Good night, Jonghyun.”

  I could tell he wanted to protest about his name, but he closes his mouth and replaces it with a grin. “Good night, Dongsaeng.” He winks, getting back at me.

  I shake my head and enter the house. Unnie wasn’t home. I knew it because it was dead silence and completely dark. I turn on the lights and head upstairs in my room, only to lay down, face planted on my pillow, and thinking about Jonghyun. Was he about to kiss me or what? By that thought, I start to blush and scream loudly into my pillow. No. He couldn’t have. It’s all in my mind. I roll over, unable to close my eyes. Yeah… Maybe it was all in my mind. I’m so confused! I grab the pillow and threw it to the wall. “Aish!” I need to slow down! Take my time. I need to take my time. Waiting is the essence to life. I can do it. I can do it…