Next Time... I Won't Let Go

He Wants A Noona, But I'm His Dongsaeng

  “Leave me alone!”  Chunji shouts while running away from me.

  “Wait! Why won’t you tell me!” I start chasing him down as fast as I could. Aish! He’s a fast runner! I’m younger! So why does he have more energy than me?  “Chunji! Stop running!”

  Ok. Stop right there. Do you want to know what happened? I guess I should rewind a bit to the beginning of the day. Not too far, but not too close either.

  “Good morning!” Okay. That’s a bit too far. Maybe I should start at lunch?

  “Chunji! Tell me @#$%” Okay. Too close. I guess I’ll start at our first break.

  I was heading to the restroom when I see Chunji and Jonghyun talking to each other. I’m still curious about Jonghyun’s promise. Just what exactly is it? I come closer so I could hear them better, but someone taps my shoulder. I jump and spin around. “Ricky!”

  “Are you okay? You’re looking really suspicious earlier.”

  “I’m fine.”

  He looks back. “Ah. Those two. Still wondering what Chunji wanted from him?”

  I nod.

  “You’ll find out.” He says and kisses my cheek while walking away.

  I will soon, but when? I want to know now! I want to know this promise! Aish! If only Jonghyun or Chunji could tell me. I can probably help if it’s about a girl.

  And so, my quest for finding out the promise begins.

  The next break, I stayed in the classroom, thinking. How can I confront him? I don’t want to make it sound obvious, but I also don’t want it to drift away from the whole point. Let’s see, what should I ask him… Hm… Oh! I got it! Now all I have to do is wait for lunch.

  During lunch, I meet with Ricky and Jonghyun at our usual place. I was eating fast because I didn’t want to miss Chunji or miss my eating time. I chew and swallow until my throat couldn’t swallow anymore. I start drinking water, but it was hard to bring it down. The food in my throat made me cough a bit.

  “Slow down. You’re going to choke,” Jonghyun says.

  Ricky pats my back. “You’re going to kill yourself. What’s the rush anyways?”

  I shake my head, not wanting to tell them. I couldn’t say anything either. I take a huge gulp of water and manage to have the food slip down my throat. I struck my chest a couple of times and clear my throat. “I’m just hungry.”

  Ricky raises an eyebrow. “Sure.”

  I look down on my tray and find it empty. “Time for me to go!”

  “Where are you going?” Jonghyun ask.

  “I just need to talk to someone real quick. Oh! And after school, we’re going to your house.” I point at Jonghyun.

  “Mine? Waeyo?”

  “It’s part of the game and it’s just going to be us two.” I shift my eyes to Ricky. “You can’t come.”

  “Araso. Araso. I won’t. I don’t even want to come.” Ricky winks at me.

  Aish! I bet he’s thinking about something else…

  No time to waste. I have to find Chunji fast! I hope I still have time to talk to him. I run down stairs and head to the cafeteria. That was the first place I could think of. Most students would eat here anyways.

  Once I got there, I found him sitting with a couple of his friends. All guys. Uh… How can I confront him now? Aish! I should've thought this though. They all look older than me too! Okay! I can do this! One step at a time.

  I manage to get to Chunji and his friends in a couple of minutes. It would’ve taken a couple of seconds if I didn’t hesitate. Curse my cowardliness! “Ch-Chunji.” I say, standing near him.

  His friends look up before he does.

  “Omo. Someone has another admirer.” A boy with thick lips comment.

  “Chunji. She’s calling you,” a blonde one says, shaking him.

  Chunji was drinking juice as he looks at me. When he saw my face, he nearly spit the juice right out of his mouth and into the cup, but he swallows it. “What do you want?” he ask rudely.

  Aish! This boy! Calm down In Young… “I know we did’t start on the right track, but I want to say…” My eyes glance at each person on the table. There’s Chunji, a blonde boy, a boy with thick lips, and a boy who has muscles. What a strange combination, but they were all pretty boys like Jonghyun and Ricky. Why are they even listening to me? All I want is Chunji to hear. “Uhm. Can we talk in private?”

  “What’s wrong here?”

  The boy with thick lips nudges him. “Go ahead. It must be important.” He looks up at me and I blush. Why does this school have so much pretty boys?!

  Chunji sighs. “Alright.” He stands.

  I take his arm and lead him out of the cafeteria. I stop when we were far away from the door and near the restrooms.

  “What do you want?”

  “Chunji! Tell me, do you like someone?” I ask straight forwardly. So much for my plan.

  “Mwuh?”

  “Do you like someone?”

  I could tell he was blushing. I was right! He does like someone, but who?

  He whips his head to the side. “I don’t.”

  “Liar! Tell me!”

  “I don’t want to!”

  “Please! Jonghyun knows right? Tell me what he promised you!”

  “It’s a secret! Can’t you respect that? It has nothing to deal with you anyways.”

  “I’ll help you.” I start becoming persistent and stubborn. I’m the best at that. Once I have something set on my mind, I won’t let it go that easily. That’s why I’m trying to gather Jonghyun’s memory back and now help Chunji with his problem.

  “Leave me alone!” He whines.

  “I’m not going to! Yah! Where are you going?” He starts running away from me. “Yah! Chunji!”

  “Leave me alone!”  Chunji shouts while running away from me.

  “Wait! Why won’t you tell me!” I start chasing him down as fast as I could. Aish! He’s a fast runner! I’m younger! So why does he have more energy than me? “Chunji! Stop running!”

  He doesn’t stop and we ended up running all the way back to the cafeteria where we slowed down. Teachers were near and they didn’t want students running. I was so close to catching him until Jonghyun blocks my way.

  I nearly bump into him. I was only inches away from his chest. Did he get taller and what is this sweet smell? I sniff and notice it was Jonghyun. Oranges. Yum. Aish! What am I thinking? He ruined my chances in getting information!

  “Yah! Jonghyun! You got in my way!”

  He pretends he didn’t do anything and uses his Aegyo. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

  “Yah! You know what you did!”

  He smirks and leans close to my ear, his breath brushing against it, “This is my problem to face. You should leave him alone. I’ll take care of it.”

  My body starts to heat and I was lost of words. Kya!~ Jonghyun, why are you so hot? I nod on my own even though my mind wanted to disagree.

  He stands straight. “Ricky’s with Da Ni, so you don’t have to worry about him being alone at the roof top and I’ll be with my other friends.” He says and heads toward Chunji’s group.

  I was shaken off my daze as I watch him leave. Aish! He ruined my chance! I can’t forget that! He may have hypnotize me, but now I’m mad! Ugh! Better luck next time then. I better see Chunji tomorrow or else I’ll hit Jonghyun for it.

________________________________________________________________________________________

  After school, like I said, Jonghyun and I head to his house. This will be a reenactment of my diary entry, only tweeked a bit. Good thing I have Geometry homework. Now I can ask him questions. I hope the accident didn’t cause him to forget how to do those things.

  His house was like before. It was still the same, but with the smell of vanilla. Before there would be the smell of his Umma cooking, but his parents aren’t here because they’re working late to repay the missed hours.

  “Do you want a snack?” Jonghyun ask as we were heading inside.

  I take off my shoes. “No. I’m fine.”

  “Okay. Let’s go to my room.”

  Same as in the entry.

  I follow him upstairs. It’s been a while since I’ve been in here, but everything was familiar. The moment I enter Jonghyun’s room, I notice things changed. There were no longer posters of his favorite groups, but of girls and there were more video games than books. He certainly did become a boy after the accident. As I look closely at the shelf, I still saw the same pictures as the first time I came here. At least part of him was still there. But there was a new picture. One at his birthday with my handing him a present with cake all over his face. I remember this! We had a cake fight and afterwards, Umma told me to give him his present and I did even though we didn’t clean up. I continue to stare at it and Jonghyun noticed.

  “I found that in the photo album. You were almost everywhere.” He laughs. “I just don’t get why I would forget you.”

  “I don’t understand either.” I mutter to myself.

  “What?”

  “Nothing!” I smile. “But I need help on my homework.” I take out my Geometry book and a paper and pencil.

  “Oh. Geometry.” He said unenthusiastically. “I hated that subject.”

  “Too bad, now you have to help me. I don’t understand half of this.” I sit cross-legged on his bed and chew on my eraser, concentrating on the first question. Aish! So much words!

  All of a sudden the bed sunk beside me and I felt a presence coming near. I look to the side and see Jonghyun leaning close to me. I know he was trying to see what question I was having trouble with, but I panic and jump up, dropping the book.

  He looks up at me like a lost puppy. “Kwenchana?”

  I nod as fast as I could. My heart was beating fast. Why did I do that? I should’ve let him come close to me! Why did I panic? I pick up the book and sit back down. It took me a while to find the page I was on and get on the right track. I couldn’t help, but get distracted everytime Jonghyun got close to me to check what I was doing. By half way, I couldn’t take it. I shut the book, the paper sticking out on the side. “I’ll finish this at home.”

  “Ah. Okay?” he says, standing, too.

  I take a step back. Everything he does, ends up being so close to me, but he doesn’t notice it. It doesn’t seem like he’s nervous around me. I guess I’m just over reacting. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” I take a slight bow, but my feet won’t move. I wish he could regain his memory soon. I take a step back, but hadn’t realize a stray game case. It slid right under me, causing me to slip. My hands reacted on it’s own and reached out, grabbing onto the first thing it could reach. My body slams on the floor along with something slamming onto me. I had my eyes closed for that moment, but when I opened them, I met eye to eye with Jonghyun. Our faces were inches away from each other and we exchange breaths. I couldn’t take my eyes away from his and neither does he.

  I clutch onto his shirt and feel my toes curl. We were so close, but I didn’t want to do anything.

  “M-Mianhe.” He tries getting up, but I continue to hold onto him. “In Young?”

  I could feel a tear form, but I held it in. I have to wait. My grip loosens, letting him go. I get up as his weight is no longer on me and gather my stuff. I bow once again and say the same words, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” This time as I left, I watch my step. I didn’t want to same thing to happen twice, but if that does happen, next time I won’t let him go.