Mianhe

He Wants A Noona, But I'm His Dongsaeng

  I walk around the neighborhood for a few minutes before heading back home. I didn’t even call or text Jonghyun. I didn’t feel like talking to him just yet. I’ll probably talk to him tomorrow or after reading the diary entry. I need him to cool his mind off, the same way I did when I was walking around.

  When I enter my house, Unnie and Jeongmin was watching T.V. cuddling into each other’s arm. They really appeared as a couple which is a good thing. I just wish I could do that with Jonghyun.

  I head upstairs stealthily, not wanting to disturb them, but in the end, Unnie caught me. “Oh! In Young! Jeongmin’s going to stay for dinner tonight. Is that okay?”

  I give her a warm smile. “It’s fine.” I say and head upstairs, looking for my diary. Ah! Another entry and something to get my mind off of the troubles from today. I find my diary and plop on my bed, swinging my feet around as I read it. Huh… This one’s really, really long. I wonder what happened, but when I saw the date, a smile curled on my lips. I knew perfectly well what happened here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

  June 17

  Diary Entry #6

  Dear Diary,

  Ah!!!!!!! I’m so happy today, but I don’t want to write everything on pen (or pencil) and paper! I’ll try to give out the big details and skip all the little ones, but then again, I’m too happy to write! OK. I’ll try writing as much as I can without spazzing too much. I’LL TRY!

  So, today Jonghyun asked if I wanted to go to the amusement park with him and of course I said YES! It felt like a date even though we’re just close friends.

  He paid for it, the tickets. He said it was his treat. I don’t know why, but I didn’t do anything to him before that. So far, he’s the only one that’s treating me while I’m just taking it. I feel guilty, but I’m glad he’s taking me to places. Just me and him.

  The first place we went to was the kiddy rides, big enough for us at least. Jonghyun wasn’t much of a height person. I learned that today because we didn’t ride the roller coasters that went off the ground. And most of all, we didn’t go on the Ferris wheel, where I wanted to go on so badly.

  The next thing we did was play the games. We didn’t get much at first, but as Jonghyun gave his last try, he won me a stuffed panda bear. It wasn’t one of the grand prizes because it was a miniature one, but I’m glad he won something.

  I tried getting him something, but I didn’t succeed. I wanted to keep going, but he told me not to use all my money because we had to eat. I listened to him and realize why he told me that as we were getting lunch.

  He had lost all his money from the games and from buying the ticket. I didn’t mind, but wow… That’s all I can say. He didn’t need to use all his money so he could win a prize. I could walk out of the place without anything in my hands and still feel super happy because he took me there. But I don’t know what’s going on in his mind, so… I have no idea why he played all those games. Maybe for pride or something? I don’t know.

  We ordered some hotdogs and sat down on a bench, just eating.

  “Thanks for bringing me here,” I said, shyly.

  He smiled while chewing. When he swallowed, he replied, “It’s nothing. It’s my treat, remember?”

  “I know…” My eyes trailed seeing the roller coasters. “Want to ride one of those?” I point to the one that had a high drop.

  His face turned pale. “I’m fine. If you want, you can go, but I’ll be waiting on the sidelines.”

  I pursed my lips. It wouldn’t be fun without a partner, so I picked somewhere less intimidating. “Uhm… What about the swings? The one that goes in a circle?”

  He hesitated before saying, “Uh… Okay…”

  I smile and started eating my hotdog fast. I know the line won’t be long for that ride, but I wanted to go on more before the day ended. Jonghyun had finished his at the same time, so I started dragging him all the way to that ride. Surely enough, it was nearly empty and we were able to pick out the swings that were close to each other. My swing was in front of Jonghyun. “Ready?” I ask him, turning my head.

  His face was still pale, but he nodded.

  I laugh and soon enough, the ride starts. It was really soothing, but when I looked at Jonghyun, he appeared scared. Is he scared of heights or something? This ride isn’t that bad. “You okay?” I ask him.

  He just nods.

  I shrugged and remained silent the rest of the ride.

  The rest of the day, we went on various rides that was on the ground and walked around a bit. I was glad to be with him this whole day…

  Okay… I lost what I wanted to say… I’m really tired of writing. Sorry, Diary! I have nothing else to say. It just escaped from my mind and I can’t write it down! I guess I’ll write in you tomorrow or something. Good-night!~

                                                      -In Young <3

  P.S. I forgot to put my signature at the bottom last time! I just noticed it! Oops. Cx

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

  I close my book. So. The amusement park, huh? I’ll ask him. Maybe we can go on Saturday? And maybe we can go on the Ferris wheel this time. I really wanted to go this time. I haven’t been to the amusement park in such a long time!

  I head downstairs, smelling the scent of dinner and find Jeongmin cooking this time. I didn’t know he was a cook. Omo! Unnie has such a sweet boyfriend! I wish there was more like him.

  Unnie was setting up the table and offered for help, but she refused. Well, more break time for me. I sit at my usual spot and wait for dinner to be ready.

  Jeongmin wasn’t such a bad guy to talk to after all. I think I wouldn’t mind him marrying Unnie if it came to that. He’s a really sweet guy. I can’t believe I actually didn’t like him at first. Good choice in men Unnie!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

  The next day, Unnie was here and Jeongmin was the one to pick her up this time. I have never seen her so happy! This is a good sign which meant she’s starting to open up after Umma and Appa’s death. She was cooking more and smiling more. I kind of wished Jeongmin came into her life much earlier.

  Ugh! I’m such a hypocrite now a days. At first I hate them both, but now I just love them!

  I head out to school and was greeted by Chunji. “What should I do now? I started talking to Kimi more, but I don’t know what to say today!”

  I sigh, shaking my head. “Just say what you want to say. I don’t think she’ll mind.”

  “I hope not.”

  In the corner of my eyes, I could see Jonghyun coming up to us. I stiffen. Could he still be mad about yesterday? I couldn’t tell. His face hid all of his emotions. Oh, please tell me he’s not mad still!

  “Hey.” He did a single wave at both of us.

  I gave a weak smile. “Hi.”

  “Changjo! I need help!” Chunji exclaims.

  “Uh… What is it?”

  “It’s about Kimi. At lunch,, she’s going to sit with us again, but I don’t know what to say to her.”

  He too was disappointed in him. “What did you do yesterday?”

  “I just asked her how her day was and stuff.”

  “Then do the same thing!”

  “But…”

  “It’s going to be fine…”

  Chunji pouts like a little kid. “Okay. Fine. I’ll just go on from there.”

  “Good.” We both say in sync and exchange glances.

  He sighs. “Thanks for your help? I guess… I’ll see you at lunch, In Young and Changjo, I’ll see you at class.” He starts walking away, a bit fidgety. He was probably worrying about what to say to Kimi. Aish… He’s so… Ugh… Cute, but clueless.

  I turn to Jonghyun. We were together, alone. I wasn’t sure if he was still mad. Everything felt so awkward. What should I say to him?

  “Mianhe.” We say together and stare into each others eyes for a few moments before bursting out in laughter.

  “I’m sorry about yesterday. I don’t know what was going on in my mind.” He says to me.

  “It’s okay. Let’s forget about it.”

  He nods. “I’m thinking about getting over your Unnie.” His eyes trailed. “I’ll try,” he whispers the last two words.

  At least he’ll try. “Hey. How about we go to the amusement park on Saturday, my treat.” Ha! Now I got an excuse! “Let’s forget about everything and go out there and have fun.”

  He blinks a couple of times before replying, “Sure.”