I Know Now

He Wants A Noona, But I'm His Dongsaeng

  I wake up with a huge crick in my neck. Apparently, I slept wrong last night because when I moved it, I barely tip my head. Aish! Way to go In Young! This is the best way to start the morning. Ugh.

  I sluggishly head to the bathroom and get ready. What should I do today? I don’t have anything to show Jonghyun since my diary entry was like a real diary entry with more emotions rather than events. Ah~ I’ll let him relax today.

  Once I got downstairs, I find breakfast already set, but no Unnie. She must be taking earlier classes now. I can tell she wants to finish collage early. Yum! Pancakes, but it’s still not going to heal the cramp on my neck. Let me try to stretch it… OW!!! I’m not going to do that again… Well, I’ll try later. It’s still early.

  I head out the door and receive a text.

  Good morning, In Young! – Changjo ^^

  Ah~ Maybe talking to Jonghyun will make my day feel better.

  Good morning, Jonghyun – In Young C:

  :/ I wonder how long it’ll take for you until you call me Changjo >;] – Changjo ^^

  Never. I like Jonghyun better. – In Young C:

  Have it your way. Chunji told me you wanted to know the promise. – Changjo ^^

  Does that mean he’ll tell me? I hope so! I’m dying to know!

  Ne. – In Young C:

  Keep wondering. I’m not going to tell you. >;P – Changjo ^^

  :P Meanie. – In Young C:

  >;P It’s a secret, so why should I tell you? – Changjo ^^

  Because… I’m your best friend. – In Young C:

  I pause before I sent it. Am I still his best friend? Would he call me one? It felt like we were distant ever since he had that accident, but we do hang out a lot. The only thing is, nothing felt the same. It didn’t feel as comforting as before. I really want to return to those times.

  I rewrote the text.

  Better head to school or else you’ll be late. – In Young C:

  I’m already here. You’re the one that should hurry. I’m sitting on your desk and what is this? Hm… Looks like someone left their Science homework in their desk… Oh! And a notebook! It’s my lucky day! - Changjo ^^

  That’s where it went! I was looking for it, but sort of forgot it when I was thinking about the diary entry.Wait. He can’t see anymore! I have some pictures of him in that notebook! 

  I stuff my phone in my pocket, not bothering to answer his text and ran to school as fast as I could. I hate running, but I have to get to him before he looks more into my stuff! Jonghyun! You Babo! 

  I ran pass many students who were going to school, too, ignoring their rude comments. I didn’t care, I had to get to him fast! I ran all the way to my classroom, shouting, “Jonghyun!” My eyes went straight to my desk and I immediately find him sitting there, looking at something. He was smiling, the same smile that I always love to see. I shake it off, he was going through the photos! They weren’t that bad because I was in it too, but I didn’t want him to see the ones I picked out!

  He didn’t even lift his head when I shouted his name and now I’m right next to him. “Yah! What are you doing?” I bend down and spot the photo of the two of us doing a selca together. Jonghyun’s eyes were squinted, pursing his lips while I was being ‘boring’ (as he said before), smiling normally. I snatch it from his hands.

  “Yah! I was looking at that!” Jonghyun whines.

  “Too bad.”

  He raises a few more, wiggling his eyebrows. I reach for it, but he pulls back.

  “Give it to me!” Reaching for them again.

  “Try harder! You have to get if you want it!”

  I continue to reach, eyes glued to the remaining pictures. I hadn’t realize how close I’ve gotten until I felt that same feeling from yesterday. The warm, steady breath, orangey smell, and that same awkwardness. My eyes went down seeing him staring at me. I could tell he was stuck and I was too for a moment. I manage to get back and snatch the pictures. “Ha!” I stand up straight and wave them around. “Got them!”

  He sighs. “Alright. You win. I’m going back to class.” He gets up without another word and leaves.

  I watch. If only I could tell him the way I feel, but I need to wait. Now’s not the right time. He’s still struggling with his own problems. I’ll take care of mine later.

  I sit down and lay my head. It’s still early, I’ll just stay like this until songsaengnim comes…

_________________________________________________________________________________________

  It was lunch time and I left Ricky with his friends because I wanted to eat with Da Ni… Okay, that’s not exactly the real reason. I really wanted to know Chunji’s promise and the only way I can do that is to eavesdrop in their conversation and Jonghyun’s going to help me without knowing.

  Today, he wanted to eat with Chunji and his group and I let him. Now, I’m following them as they were heading to the cafeteria, hiding behind things I pass by and stealthily catching up to them. I start listening as they spoke.

  “Ah! Today was so tiring! We had too much tests!” Jonghyun exclaims.

  “They were pretty easy…” Chunji points out.

  “To you! You’re smart and I’m dumb. Everything would be easier for you!”

  “Just study more…”

  “I hate studying…”

  I start to space out. They still weren’t talking anything about a plan, secret, or promise. Come on! They’re taking forever and I’m getting hungry! Just when I was about to leave, I convince myself to stay, saying I’ll earn something later if I wait. And soon, it all paid off.

  “Are you going to do it today?” Jonghyun asks, Chunji.

  He blushes. “I’m going to wait…”

  “You better hurry or else L. Joe will take her! You know she likes him!”

  “I know… But I don’t know what to say…”

  Jonghyun sighs. “You better act quick. I’ve been helping you! Remember you used to have glasses and braces and I changed that!”

  “Not the braces. I got them taken off before you decided to transform me.”

  “Yeah... And I change your hair color, too. The only thing I’m not going to change is your personality. Kimi likes a guy who himself. That’s what I learned from someone. I’m not exactly sure who…”

  Chunji sighs this time, “You and your memory problems. I’m surprise you remembered my promise.”

  “I am too.”

  Then why did he forget mine! We made that promise more recently than his!

  “What about your Dongsaeng, In Young? Do you think you liked her before?”

  “Why do you say that?”

  Chunji shakes his head. “No reason…” his voice trails, but then he adds, “Well, before the accident, you did talk about a girl.”

  My heart skips a beat. Does he really mean it?

  “I don’t know what you’re talking about?” I could tell he really meant it, making me doubt. Did he really talk about a girl?

  Chunji shrugs. “Maybe it’s someone else.”

  Maybe it’s him! Jonghyun’s probably lying! Or is he? I bite my lip and listen some more, but I couldn’t because we were near the cafeteria and their voices were drowned by the other million. The good thing that came out of this is I know Chunji’s secret. I’m such a nosey person.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

  After school, I follow Chunji all the way outside. I’m thinking no one notice me, but you may never know. Eyes are everywhere no matter where you go whether it be an animal or human or bug.

  Soon, I couldn’t wait any longer and finally confronted him as we were heading out the gates. “Chunji!”

  He looks back, eyes wide. “What do you want?” I can tell he didn’t want to see me.

  “I know your secret!” I shout and his eyes grow larger.

  “You don’t know.”

  I smile slyly. “Yes I do.” I lean close, “You like a girl name Kimi and Jonghyun has been helping you.”

  He starts blushing. “It’s none of your business! Why are you so persistent?”

  Yeah, why am I persistent? Oh, I know why. “Because, I hate seeing someone who is useless whenever it comes to love. I’m going to help you. Anyways, I’m helping Ricky, too. You should be happy to get a girl’s opinion. I agree with Jonghyun with the whole look and keeping your personality, but before you ask her out, you two should talk first.”

  He scoffs. “Easy for you to say. She likes someone else.”

  “I know. L. Joe.” I may know his name, but I have no idea what he looks like. “But you can change her opinion if you’re always with her, but don’t follow her around too much, it’s going to get creepy if you do.”

  Chunji rolls his eyes. “I think Changjo’s enough.”

  I shake my head. “I’m going to help you and you can’t deny it!” I shout, pointing a finger at him.

  He sighs, probably getting tired of my persistence. “Fine. Do whatever you like, but most likely I’ll take Changjo’s ideas since he promised me first.”
  “I don’t care. I just want to help you.”

  “Is there a catch?”

  “Aniyo. No catch.”

  “I feel like there is.”

  Is there? I don’t think I want something from him. Maybe what he’s feeling is me wanting to be with Changjo, but I can’t force anything. “There isn’t! Okay?”

  “Araso.” His eyes trail, not knowing what to say now. “I guess I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

  I smile. “Of course you will! I’m going to talk to you at lunch. Meet me outside at the back.”

  “Alright.” Slowly, he starts heading out the gates.

  I wait a couple of seconds, thinking. His situation is similar to Ricky’s. I feel like I can help him because Ricky’s relationship is improving. Now, I need to improve Chunji’s.