The Past

He Wants A Noona, But I'm His Dongsaeng

  This was the third time I have visited him. I couldn't believe that he didn't remember me. I mean, we've been best friends for years and yet, I wasn't familiar to him. He even made that promise which slipped away. I just wished that car accident never happened. I wanted to tell him how I feel when we were going to spend my first day in high school together.

  The first time I met him was still clear in my mind. I remember everything.

_______________________________________________________________________________

  It was my first day in middle school and these girls started bullying me all because I wouldn't agree to do their homework. I mean, who does that? I am not a nerd, I may be smart, but I am not the stereotypical ones. Minus the glasses, but I can procrastinate a ton and still do it on time.

  Just when I was getting tired of their constant bullying and was thinking of actually doing their homework, Jonghyun came into my life.

  "Yah! You 6th graders! What are you doing?"

  They stopped spatting insults at me and turned around. Seeing Jonghyun, they bowed. "Oh Oppa!" They all exclaimed. (Did I mention there were 6 of them? No? Now you know, so it sounded like dying cats calling out at the same time.)

  He looked passed them and saw me quivering with my head down. I didn't know what to do. I did want to run, but my feet just wouldn't move. Then I felt soft hands touch the bottom of my chin and I flinched, thinking it was one of the girls. But it was Jonghyun.

  He raised my head to look at me. For a moment our eyes met, but I turn away.

  Jonghyun's hand leaves my chin and I hear him speak, "If you girls ever hurt her again, you'll get something from me." He began threatening them, clutching his fist.

  "Ne, Oppa!" With that, they left and I never got hit by them ever again, but they did talk to me differently... Hm...

  "Kwenchana?" He asked after they were gone.

  I nodded my head without saying anything.

  "Why are you bowing your head? You have pretty eyes and you need to show them." He commented.

  I blushed, but kept my head down. I bit my lip, thinking why someone like him is treating me this way? I mean he's practically a Kingka here and once he's done with middle school, he would probably forget about me.

  "I'm Choi Jonghyun. What's yours?"

  I raised my head this time and smiled. It was habit to smile. "I'm In Young."

  He chuckled. "In Young... That's a pretty name, too. From now on, you're going to be my friend."

  "Mwuh?!"

_______________________________________________________________________________

  So, that's how me and Changjo became friends and we hung out a lot after school. My Unni would tease about him being my boyfriend, but I declined it. I may have feelings for him, but I didn't want to confess. And whenver he left, those same girls tried convincing me to do their homework. Everytime, I would raise my phone and say, "I'm going to call Jonghyun." That's when they would leave me alone. Good times, good times...

  Not only that memory was in my mind, but also the car crash and most importantly, the first day I visited him. It was more painful than him being in the car crash.

________________________________________________________________________________

  I knock on the open door, excited that he was alive. I didn't even wait for him to speak, so I barged in and exclaimed, "Jonghyun! Ahn Nyeong!" I stood by his desk, my hands behind my back, holding a bouquet of flowers. I was going to give it to him because I knew he loved the different scents of certain flowers. He said that they were like a pathway to a new world. I don't understand his mind sometimes, but certain flowers and fruits do grow in certain places, so I guess that's what he meant.

  "So, are you feeling better now?" I asked, placing a hand on his forehead as if he only had a flu.

  This whole time he had a confused expression and kept staring at me.

  "Do I have something on my face?" I began wiping my cheeks, but he didn't say a word. "Yah. Jonghyun. What's wrong with you?"

  "Do I know you?" He asked.

  I flinched at his words. Did he really mean it? I mean, we've known each other for a long time and made jokes, but this one seemed too far. I scoffed. "You're joking right?"

  He slowly shook his head. "I don't know you. I know you're not my cousins or a family member."

  I look straight into his eyes and could see he was serious. My eyes trailed to the side. "Yeah. My family is a close friend of yours, but we never got introduced to each other." I made up that excuse as I went. It hurt to say those words, but I knew he'll never remember me. Then something hit me. Maybe if I re-enact some scenes in the past, something will spark in his mind.

  It was too late because Unnie comes up behind me. "Jonghyun. Kwenchana?"

  This time, he didn't have that same confused face as he did with me. He remembered my Unnie, but not me? Waeyo?

  He smiled and nodded. "Mm! Noona, do you know her?" He pointed at me.

  She stared at him with wide-eyes. "You don't remember my sister?"

  He looked at me, then to Unnie and shook his head. "I only remember you, my parents, cousins, and everyone else related to me, but not her."

  Her eyes trail. "This is In Young. Does the name ring a bell?"

  He shook his head. "All I remember is your name. Ji Hyun."

  I felt something hit my chest hard and it began to ache. I wanted to leave, but Unni was grabbing onto my shoulders, digging her nails. She was shock about it too because she had never expect him to remember her when they've only spoken a few times. 

  When I felt her grip loosen, I ran out, dropping the bouquet, and going quickly to the restroom. I wanted to cry somewhere else other than inside that room. I went to the farthest stall and locked myself in. I didn't even bother sitting on the toilet, but cried while standing. I couldn't understand why he would remember my Unnie and not me. Was she someone more important that me? Or... he liked her? No! I can't think that way. But what if it was true?

_______________________________________________________________________________

  I sit on the couch near Jonghyun's bed. He was sleeping. He seemed so peaceful; I wish I could see that everyday. It was something different than seeing him awake making all these strange faces, especially the one he gave me when he forgot about me.

  I accidentally bump my elbow on the wall as I was getting situated on the couch, causing Jonghyun to stir. His eyes slowly open and meets mine. "Ahn Nyeong, Dongsaeng." He greets.

  I hate it whenever he calls me that! He didn't say that to me in the past! I shouldn't have told him I was younger than him by two years... It seems like he became more cocky after the accident. Aish... Boys...

  "Ahn Nyeong, Jonghyun." I mutter.

  "You know... I like to be called Changjo."

  Changjo?! Since when? I glare at him. I don't like this new Jonghyun for some reason. I sigh. "I'm still calling you Jonghyun."

  He sighs. "Fine. As long as only one person calls me that, then I wouldn't mind."

  "Yah... Jonghyun, do you remember anything from the past?" I ask, hoping there would be something that reminded him of me.

  He shakes his head. "Not much. I remember mostly about family matters and your sister always making food for me? Hm... I think you were there, too. And I also remember someone always wanting to do selcas with me... I don't remember who."

  I sit up straight. So he does remember something that we did together. I wanted to ask him more questions, but Unnie comes in.

  "Changjo!" She calls him Changjo?! "Kwenchana?"

  "Ne, Noona!" He smiles brightly at her.

  She pats his head. "That's good. I was told that next week you're going to be released from the hospital along with your parents."

  He nods. "I know and I have to go back to school. I don't even remember who I was friends with. Noona's the only one I can trust." He smiled again, causing my heart to cringe.

  It was just yesterday when he told me he liked my Unnie. I didn't cry, but more like I wanted to punch him in the face, knocking some sense out of him. He used to hate my Unnie or he pretended to hate her... I don't know...

________________________________________________________________________________

  Yeah, kind of long, but it makes it seem like a real story >.< Plus it's in 1st person and I tend to write more whenever it's like that. I hope you guys aren't bored already! T^T This would be such a fail! Well, subscribe, comment, friend? Anything :D Thankies~ Story will be in In Young's POV unless I want to add what someone else was thinking >.<