Chapter 57

Bite the bullet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 57

"By the way, Lee Hongbin-ssi," the student council president spoke up that it forced Hongbin to a halt. The latter then carefully set down the stack of folders that he had been tasked to move to the student council room on his desk so that he could face him. "I advice that you do not use the school address for your package deliveries. I am afraid that the students might get the idea that it is acceptable to call for food deliveries during either recess or lunch breaks. Do you understand?"

Hongbin gave him a confused look. He could not comprehend why he was being told of something that he already knew. And besides, he did not remember expecting a package. "I know that, but I did not order anything at all...?" He honestly explained himself. "I do not have the slightest clue as to what you are talking –"

"Here," the student council president said, passing him a small box that was almost the size of his palm. "I heard that it arrived here during lunch break. Please make sure that your fan club also knows the rules and restrictions as to prevent any more of these cases from happening in the future."

"But – I... I really do not –" Hongbin tried to contend. However, as soon as he flipped the box to its front, he immediately saw a familiar crest printed on it. There was no way that he could ever forget it because it was the school that he lost Sanghyuk to. With that, he opened the box without a second thought and saw a brand new mobile phone inside. It seemed to pique the student council president's interest as Hongbin instantly shut the box close again. "I-I will make sure that it will not happen again."

The student council president raised an eyebrow at him. "I suppose that I am just amazed at the fact that you even have some girls fawning over you at different schools – Hanrim at that too. Speaking of which..." He approached the front door of the room to peek through its small window. "The girls are not around today either... How odd..."

"Eyy... Please do not tease me like that, president!" Hongbin complained as he, too, peered through the back door's window to check. He knew which girls the student council president was referring to since they were the usual ones that would always greet and check up on him. Hongbin did not want to falsely assume that they were part of his so-called 'fan club' since that would be rude and presumptuous of him. "I am positive that they are just being polite because I have helped them with their respective clubs before."

The student council president was not able to hold back a snort. "Sure, let us say that that is true... Then how about the previous years? Even upper class students that have already graduated would still come back and visit to be 'polite' towards you." He chuckled and headed back to his desk to sit on his chair. "But you know what I honestly do not understand? Why? Why is it that you did not run for student council president? You would have been more suitable for this job than myself. It sometimes makes me think that I am the student council president just by name since you are the one who practically does all the work."

Hongbin heaved a sigh, following the former's actions and returning back to his seat. "It is not like that at all," he argued weakly. "I only finish off the work that is given to me to the best of my abilities. Positions do not mean a thing to me at all – The truth is, the only reason why I am here is because I do not want to disappoint my mother. There is also the fact that universities also look into extracurricular activities besides our grades... I want to heighten my chances in any way that I can..."

"I understand," the student council president said, rolling his chair towards Hongbin's desk. "But, I never really got to ask before... What is it that you want to study? I have yet the chance to check your future career sheet actually..." He hummed to himself and reached for a folder from his desk. The student council president flicked through its pages, Hongbin's name falling from his lips with each sheet that he turned.

"Err... I still have not filled it in," Hongbin admitted. His eyes dropped to the floor, feeling embarrassed with having to disclose something that he was especially conscious about. "I am still trying to figure out what course I should take and the universities... I suppose, the universities would come after that... I mean – I already know that I am a bit – And by that I mean – really behind in comparison to other students, but I honestly just do not know what path I want to take." He dug his nails on his knees and took a deep breath, "I am quite envious at others who are already set on what they want to do in life and then there's me – I do not even know what I am going to do when I arrive home today and –"

"Hongbin-ah, let's go home," his brother's deep voice interrupted him in his explanation. Even the student council president lifted his eyes from the folder that he was holding to see who their visitor was. "Ah..." Wonsik said when he realised that Hongbin was not alone. He bowed his head in front of the student council president to greet him. "Please excuse my intrusion. I came for Hongbin," he said, turning to his brother.

"Go," the student council president said, dismissing Hongbin with just the wave of his hand. "And you two do not need to be polite around me. We are in the same school year and born in the same year, for that matter. However I look at it, this polite attitude that you two have is the reason why there is this wall between us." He raised his hand to motion what seemed to be an 'invisible wall.' "Be comfortable, okay?"

"Can't really help it," Wonsik snickered. "Maybe I've been around Hongbin too much that I'm starting to pick up his cultured behaviour and words. Anyway, yeah, are you guys doing something or do I have to wait for a little while?" He asked, inviting himself inside the room and pulling a chair next to Hongbin. "You don't mind me hanging around here while I wait for him, do you?"

The student council president chuckled, covering his mouth with his hand. The difference between Hongbin and Wonsik was huge indeed and it showed not only in the way they dressed themselves, but also in the way that they speak and their mannerisms. It did not seem like the two lived under the same roof at all. "You can visit whenever you want as long as it is not during a meeting or a busy day. But for this afternoon, I do advice that you take an early leave, Hongbin-ssi. I am assuming that you have a lot of work to catch up on and... I could finish off the job here by myself just fine, so..."

"But president –" Hongbin tried to talk the student council president out of giving him a free pass from his task, but Wonsik was already dragging him by his sleeve. "I-I do not think this is fair. I cannot possibly leave all this work with you. I assure you that I could catch up with my schoolwork in my own time. It has only been just a day after all. I heard that I did not miss much..."

"Hmmm..." The student council president hummed to himself. "But what would your girlfriend feel if you are always staying behind and taking the work all to yourself? I do not suppose that would end well, would it?" He challenged Hongbin, grinning wide.

"Ah, you've hit the bullseye," Wonsik sniggered, releasing his brother's clothes because Hongbin would not stop swatting his hand away. He watched as Hongbin's cheeks and ears quickly turned bright red and how he attempted to cover his face with both of his hands while complaining about Wonsik's talkative mouth – "It wasn't me who told him though!" Wonsik asserted. "And I thought you two broke up...? You got back together again after that one phone call or what?"

By then, Hongbin was shaking from embarrassment and he felt his entire face burning. "Stop talking! Stop talking! Stop talking!" He shouted, repeatedly hitting Wonsik's arm mercilessly. "We didn't get back together! We're not – We're not like that – We broke up, but – Just –!"

"Alright, alright, enough," the student council president tried to break them apart by pushing himself in the middle of the squabbling siblings. "It was not Wonsik who informed me about it. But, it does seem like it is true after all? Perhaps... The gift that you received just now was from your girlfriend...?" As Hongbin turned his head away and retreated back to his seat to try and calm himself down without rejecting any of his statements, he immediately assumed that his words were indeed the truth. It even caught Wonsik's attention who had no idea what the 'gift' the student council president was referring to. "In the past few days, a lot of girls would come up to me and ask if the rumours about whether you had a 'girlfriend' were true... I always told them that even if I knew the answer, it was not my business to say anything about someone else's relationship." He put both of his hands on Hongbin's shoulders, giving them a squeeze. "Actually... Now that I think about it, I was asked about a 'boyfriend' yesterday and today –"

"Y-You're right, I think that I should really leave now," Hongbin said out of nowhere, promptly standing up from his seat and collecting his present and then his bag from under the desk. "I'm sorry that you have been bothered a lot because of me. I will do my best to clear things up so that none of these would happen again in the future." He made a bow in front of the student council president. "I also apologise for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter