Chapter 23

Bite the bullet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 23

N rubbed his hands carefully on his arms in the hopes that somehow it would warm him up. He let out a long huff and glanced back at where Leo's house stood. It was early in the morning following the day of his lifelong friend's birthday and he had woken up hours before Leo did. N could not get a blink of sleep at all only because he felt anxious of what was to come when he arrives home. What excuse should he make up for his mother to believe him? Would it even matter if he lies to her or not? Because regardless of what he says, it would not change the fact that he still escaped from home.

And out of all the things, N did not want Leo to get involved with his problems the most. He would give everything just so he would be out of the possible people that his mother would look for him from. It was one of the reasons why he kept on lying from his lifelong friend. He was afraid that Leo would actually care enough for him and try to do something about his situation when he did not want any intervention at all. N was used to the kind of treatment that he receives that it had become 'normal' to him – it was nothing new.

The sun had yet to rise and the cold bit at N. He could literally feel himself shaking and the temperature was freezing compared to when he was stuck in his room's cabinet. And at least in there, there were blankets that he could use to cover himself up. But right now, he was only clad in the clothes that he came in with when Leo brought him to his house the previous morning. His lifelong friend kindly washed his clothes since they were stained with his dried blood. And even after washing his clothes many times, there were still some traces left.

The streetlights guided him through as he walked. N wished that he borrowed one of Leo's jackets that were hanging on his bedroom door. But he also thought that it would not be the best to take it without asking for permission. And of course, he definitely would not ask Leo for permission if he planned to sneak out. Yes, N was escaping from his lifelong friend who supposedly 'saved' him. And it was all because of his worries that Leo would get harmed if he keeps on associating with him for any longer. It may take some to get used to not being around his lifelong friend, but N just convinced himself that he had lived without him before so he probably would do fine without him again – he wished that he would do fine. It may also be the best especially since he thought that Leo may be getting a girlfriend soon and if he hangs around him too much, it may ruin a potential relationship. N would never like that to happen –

"N-hyung? Is that you?"

N froze on the spot and looked for the owner of the voice nervously. What he did not expect to find was Jaehwan scanning him from inside a taxi. "It is you! What are you doing out here? Isn't it too early to be going to school? But then again, you're not wearing your uniform so..." Jaehwan trailed off and next thing, he opened the taxi's door and instantly draped his jacket around the freezing boy. He also smiled at him when N gave him a confused look. The latter was thankful yet he could not help but be baffled why Jaehwan was going through his way to lend him his jacket. "Sorry for not realising that you're cold. Do you want me to take you home? It's really freezing right now and you're just walking like this when it's still dark! What if something bad happens to you?" Jaehwan chuckled. "Come in. I don't mind taking you home!" He opened up the taxi door wide enough for the latter to step in.

N was still reluctant about accepting Jaehwan's offer, but he felt as if he should do it since he had already accepted Jaehwan's jacket anyway. In the end, he made the decision and climbed inside the taxi. Jaehwan firstly asked him where his house was, but he found himself unable to answer. So the dirty blonde haired boy changed his question, "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter