Investor's Ball

An Inheritor's Marriage

Jinki looked at the home that his father had bought for him and sighed. Like their wealth, the house was extremely extravagant and posh. There were huge windows to showcase the home’s luxurious interior and fancy chandeliers. The drive way circled around a giant fountain made with marble tiles and gold lining. The polished white gates were crystallized marble with J&N in huge platinum gold letters at the front entrance.

 

He pinched the bridge of his nose, “How did he manage to move everything in merely two days?” he asked his assistant.

 

Taemin held the clipboard to his chest, “Well, you see, your father is a scary man and he is crazy rich therefore he has the ability to have things done in an instant.”

 

He wasn’t mad at the speed of how things were done. Jinki was upset that he and Nayeon did not even get to choose their own house that they would be living in. “Why–” he stopped himself. Pouring all these questions at his assistant was not going to solve anything, especially since he wasn’t the one that did it. “Nevermind. What’s my agenda for the day?”

 

“You need to go and introduce yourself to the hotel staff and all that nice stuff. Then later on you and Nayeon-sshi will be attending the Investor’s Ball at the Joo Palace.”

 

Jinki took another glance at the house then turned to Taemin. “Please give my wife the address to this house. I want her to try to get comfort with it first.”

 

The man nodded.


 

See, marrying him wasn’t so bad.” Kibum whistled, “Now that is what I call a house.”

 

“Seriously, can you shut up?” Taegi looked at Nayeon, “So, what do you think?”

 

There was a grimace on her face. “It’s...” Nayeon scanned it, “Just like my house at home. There’s nothing special about it except the fact that it’s super expensive and over the top.”

 

Taegi pat her back, “Well think of it this way: at least you won’t have to go back to that dreaded house of yours.”

 

“Filled with snakes.” Taegi glared at Kibum’s comment and he shrugged it off. “Again, Nayeon, you’re being ungrateful. I mean look at this house. It’s gorgeous!”

 

“I guess. I just wished he would have had me help choose a house for us too.” she unlocked the trunk of her car and pulled out her luggage. “It’s very unlike him to do something like this.”

 

“What do you mean it’s very unlike him to do this?” Taegi chuckled, “It’s only been like two weeks.”

 

Had it really been only two weeks since they got married? It felt much longer. They had connected so much and he even said ‘I love you’ to her. Nayeon shook the thought away. “I know but–this place is too big to feel like a home; more like a revenue.” She rolled her stuff in the house and the servants quickly came for her assistance.

 

“Hello Madam Nayeon,” one of the maids greeted. “My name is Kwan and I will be the head maid of this household. It is a pleasure to be at your service.”

 

Nayeon grinned, “No need to call me, Madam. Nayeon will be just fine. Not Nayeon-sshi, just Nayeon.” All of the other servants took notice of that and she sighed. This was really like her old household and she did not like it at all. “Where did Jinki go?” she asked Kwan.

 

“He went to the Glory Hotel.”

“Thank you,” she grabbed her purse and turned to her friends. “You guys can stay here longer if you want. Just make yourselves feel at home.” Ignoring her friends’ questions about her whereabouts, Nayeon got in her car and drove to her husband’s destination.


 

“Jinki-sshi is in a middle of a meeting at the moment.” the receptionist told her, “However it should be dismissed in a few minutes.”

 

Nayeon nodded in understanding, “Thank you.” She walked to the cafe in the hotel and ordered a small macchiato. She was going through her instagram newsfeed and clicked her explore. A picture caught her attention. Although it was just a selca of her, the woman in the picture was very pretty.

 

“She’s gorgeous,” Nayeon gaped as she sipped her drink. She tapped at her profile. “Hwang Minrin,” she read, “Pretty name for a pretty girl.” Scrolling down, she saw a picture of her left hand with a ring on it. “She’s married?” she clicked her tongue, “Her husband must be as gorgeous as she.” She heard a group of men walking out of the hotel, talking amongst themselves as they exited. Figuring that Jinki would be one of them, she looked up in hopes of seeing him.

 

Oh she saw him alright–with his arms around another woman. He was hugging her quite warm-heartedly. There was a huge smile on his face, almost as if he had missed seeing her; like their separation had a toll on his heart.

 

Nayeon looked away and took a deep breath, calming her central nerves. She stood up and walked straight out of the hotel. Denial was beneath her. It was believable that a man like Lee Jinki was in a relationship prior to their marriage.

 

“After all, the marriage isn’t real.” she reminded herself as she got in the car. “It’s all an arrangement.”


 

Jinki smiled and looked at his friend. “Sunyoung, it’s so nice to see you.” He pulled away from their hug, “How’s your pregnancy going?”

 

The woman smile, radiant with a mother’s glow. “Doctor says I’m three months.” She cheekily looked at her friend, “What about you and your wife, huh? When are we gonna see little Nayeons and Jinkis climbing around this place, hm?”

 

Jinki nervously chuckled, “Please, we haven’t even officially slept in the same bed together yet.”

 

Except last night, he quickly thought afterwards. But that doesn’t count.

 

“Well you better hurry,” she locked arms with her husband, “we’re only young for so long.”

 

Jinki waved Sunyoung a farewell and assured her that they would be at the Investor’s Ball. He thought about his friend’s words then was reminded of their time in London. “It will take time.” he told himself.


 

At this point, car rides should not be remained awkward and silent. As the chauffeur drove them to Joo Palace, Jinki would glance at Nayeon. There was something different about her. This whole evening, ever since he got home actually, she did not open to speak at all. Even with her stylist and makeup artist over, Nayeon was still as silent as she was now. She didn’t greet him–hell she didn’t even look at him.

 

“Nayeon,” he asked as put his hands on her bare knee, “are you okay?”

 

She looked at his hand on her then shook it away. Nayeon covered her knee with her dress then cleared , “I’m fine,” she spoke to the window.

 

“Really?”

 

She looked at him with an annoyed expression, one that he’s never seen from her before. “Yes, Jinki. I am fine.” she confirmed. She looked back out the window and switched the position of her crossed legs, furthering herself away from him.

 

“Did something happen while I was at work?”

 

“Must I need to report everything?”

 

Jinki was taken aback. Never has he ever had to deal with her sass like this before. Well he did before their marriage, but they were passed that now–or so he thought. “Nayeon I just want to–”

 

“We have reached Joo Palace.” the chauffeur announced.

 

Jinki was about to continue his sentence until she opened the door herself and left. The chauffeur ran to Jinki’s side and opened the door for him. By the time he came out, Nayeon was smiling and waiting for him. Pushing back his urge to give her a confused expression, Jinki took her arm and looped it under his.

 

Nayeon was smiling at the camera with that amazing smile of hers. She looked amazing–flawless. The theme of the evening was gold and suit. Wearing a long, flowing, silk cream dress with a sparkly bodice with diamond and gold paillettes, Nayeon was stunning. Her make-up was light and her hair were soft, natural waves in an elegant updo. Her only jewelry were large pearl earrings and her wedding ring. Simple yet so breathtaking.

 

Even though their arms were laced, Nayeon’s hands did not brush or touch his. As soon as they passed the entrance full of photographers, she pulled away from him. “I’m going to get something to drink.”

 

“Here, let me go with you.”

 

“No.”

 

“Why not?” he pulled her by the wrist. “Why are you suddenly acting like this. Can you at least give me an explanation?”

 

She yanked her wrist from him. “Do not ever lay your hands on me like that.” She turned and walked away from him and to the bar. Jinki was trying to contain his frustration underneath his warm greetings to other investors. An older gentlemen came up to talk to him about his hotel, and as he did so Jinki couldn’t help but watch his wife’s every move.

 

She clenched her metallic clutch, wanting to unleash so much strings of curse words. Nayeon knew she shouldn’t be so upset, but at the same time it felt like her mother’s words were right. She didn’t want to admit it, but her mother was right. Lee Jinki did not love her. He was all for the money. The house was a clear indication of just how he wants to show his wealth to the world.

 

Nayeon groaned. “I should just get over this,” she mumbled to herself. Kicking herself for the selfishness of a man was not going to do any good for her. She down and ordered a martini.

 

“Having a rough night?”

 

She looked over her shoulders and saw a man standing besides her. He was a tall and handsome man. His hair was slicked up and he wore a sharp suit that emphasized his built body type.

 

“Choi Minho,” he introduced, “mind if I have a seat?”

 

Nayeon turned her full attention to him, “There are many, choose your pick.”

 

Minho chuckled, “I’d prefer to sit next to you.” He sat next to her, “Anywhere else I’ll be forced to talk about business and, seriously, who wants to talk about that?”

 

“Here’s your martini, miss.”

 

The man turned to the bartender, “I’ll have a Dry Manhattan.” Minho shifted to her, “So, Moon Nayeon-sshi, where is your husband?”

 

Nayeon groaned as she heard his name, “Can a woman go a night without hearing her husband’s name?

 

“Ah, did something happen?” It was perfect that there was problems this early in their marriage; made it easier for him to become closer to her. He saw how she was reluctant to share. “I understand how you feel. Sometimes my wife and I get into quarrels at time that makes me just so–”

 

“You’re married?”

 

Minho smiled. She bought the bait. “Yes, well technically we’re engaged but I just love this woman so much, why not call her my wife?”

 

He seems trustworthy, plus he’s married. Nayeon felt like she could be easily acquainted with him. “Lucky you.” She swirled her drink in between her fingers like she was uninterested in it, “Sometimes I feel like my marriage is fake. There’s no love, just a ring to seal the deal.” she fondled with the ring on her finger.

 

Minho placed his hands over hers in a brotherly manner, “Not everyone is perfect, Nayeon. Believe me.”

 

Mid-sentence in his conversation with the owner of HKJ Powers, Jinki spotted Nayeon speaking with Choi Minho. Rage began to boil within his core. Choi Minho knows damn well that Moon Nayeon is his wife yet. He also knows damn well what grounds they stand on. Then why is he talking to his wife?

 

“Excuse me, it seems that something has come up.” Jinki bowed to the gentleman and briskly walked to the bar. Upon seeing him, Nayeon and Minho turned to him.

 

“Come with me,” he said as he grabbed her clutch from the counter and her hand. He gave a stern glare at Minho then pulled Nayeon to the back garden. “Let me go, now.” she ordered.

 

Jinki roughly let her go then paced in front of her. He pressed her clutch at the back of his head trying to organized his anger and frustration into a sentence, Jinki stopped once he hit a road block. He pointed her accessory at her, “What do you think you were doing back there?”

 

She took it from her and tucked it under her armpit, “I was just speaking to him. Is that a sin?”

 

He stopped his pacing then looked at her, “I don’t want you to talk to him, Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon scoffed. “At least I wasn’t hugging him in public where everyone can see, especially at my workplace like someone.” she stated obviously.

 

“What are you talking about now? This whole evening you’ve been acting cranky for no apparent reason so can you please explain to me where all this rage is coming from.”

 

“Please, Jinki, you can stop your acting now. I know about that other woman that you have. You know, the one you were hugging oh so passionate at your Hotel.” She crossed her arms, “If you have a lover, at least try to be more secretive about it.”

 

Jinki took a deep breath, not wanting to cause an unnecessary scene. “Why you were at the hotel is none of my business, but I want you to know that Sunyoung is my friend who is married and pregnant.” he emphasized. “She heard I was back from good and wanted tell me of her great news.” He gave her an honest look, “Park Sunyoung is just a good friend of mine.”

 

“And so is Choi Minho.” she retorted back.

 

“He is not a friend, Nayeon.” Jinki corrected.

 

“Well he’s my friend,” she mimicked then walked away.

 

“I’m not done talking to you.” Jinki pulled her back, “I don’t want you to talk to him, Nayeon. He is not what you think he is. That man, Choi Minho,” he pointed inside the palace, “Is a conniving bastard.”

 

She pushed his hands away from her, “You know what Jinki, this marriage isn’t just all about you.”

 

“What are you talking about? None of this is about me!” he shouted, feeling like he couldn’t hold it back anymore. There was no possible way anyone would see or hear them so there is no reason to restrain.

 

“Our house–” she stopped to laugh at the idiocracy that was about to come out of her lips. “Just because you’re the man in this relationship,” she bitterly emphasized, “doesn’t mean you get to call all the shots. This marriage–or whatever the hell we are forced to live in, doesn’t consist of only you, Jinki. So stop acting so selfishly.”

 

“I’m not calling all the shots. My father ordered for people to build that house without me even knowing. I had no control or power in the construction of our home whatsoever,” he defended. “And never have I ever been selfish with you. Everything that I do, it’s to make our marriage as pleasant as possible.”

 

Nayeon laughed, “Oh really? Was that part of the marriage agreement, Jinki? To make it convincing that you love me and that you actually care about, because you really nailed that part. Oh boy did I believe you!” He remained silent. She took that as her win. “Don’t inhibit me from meeting people Jinki. At least Choi Minho was honest with me. I can speak to whomever I want.” She turned to leave.

 

“You really think this is about the agreement?” he scoffed. His voice got louder and she stopped her steps. “Honestly, Nayeon, I completely forgot that we even had an arranged marriage. The agreement has absolutely nothing to do with this.” He was now in front of her. “Sure, our marriage is bounded by this agreement but Nayeon,” he paused to look at her in the eyes, “Did it ever cross your mind that I was jealous?”

 

Now she was the silent one.

 

“Seeing my wife,” he emphasized the ownership, “talking so comfortably and horrendously casual with my competitor is the most terrifying thing I can ever imagine. Please,” his eyes were genuine, “I don’t care how upset you are or how angry I’ve made you, please don’t speak to him ever again. I’m already competing with him for business, I don’t need to compete with him over my wife as well.” Jinki took a short breath from his little monologue, “Because you are my wife and I love you.” He lifted her chin up so she was looking at him, “Whether you have accept that or not, Nayeon, I love you.”

 

She looked away then stepped back. “I’m tired. I’ll be going home now.” She turned back then left to the front where the valet was. Jinki watched his wife leave him and sighed. He sat down on the fountain and stared the the moonlight’s reflection.

 

“Hey,” he saw Sunyoung’s reflection in the water, “Where’s Nayeon?”

 

He looked at the car take her away. “Gone.”