Dodge

An Inheritor's Marriage

Entering the hot spot, the trio pushed their way into the bar.

 

The music, as expected, was the perfect combination of upbeat and saucy. With the speakers blasting on high and the bass up to speed, it was the type of music that will get anyone’s adrenaline rushing and heart thumping to the beat. Strobe lights lit up the club as the thick musk of sweat, lust, and excitement filled the air. As if the club was strictly exclusive for attractive people only, there was not a single decent looking person there. Everyone was intensely gorgeous and grinding on tonight’s bootycall.

 

“This is awesome!” Taegi shouted over the music. “Give us something to start off with.” she told the bartender.

 

“I spy a mami eyeballing me.”

 

Kibum looked at the woman from head to toe. From looking at her nonchalant dancing with the two guys she was practically sandwiched between, it was quite obvious that she was uninterested in everything but the gorgeous Asian man in front of her. She was a petite little thing, but Kibum knew better; the small ones were always the wildest. Strapping her every delicious curve on her body, her tight, skimpy sequined dress was enough to tease the eyes and the manhood–and damn he wanted every part of it.

 

“Junior’s radar is beeping,” he announced, “and damn did he catch a fine one.” Turning to his friends with a quick smirk, “Don’t wait for me.” he advised.

 

The bartender slid their drinks towards them and Taegi held up her shot. “Here’s to not killing my mood by not getting hyped up with me.” Without waiting for her, Taegi tossed the alcoholic beverage into and let it slide down.

 

Nayeon remained unresponsive.

 

“Oh come on, Moon Nayeon. You are being extremely difficult right now.” Seeing how Nayeon was still unresponsive, Taegi grabbed a hold of Nayeon’s shoulder. “What I’m saying is you should have fun. I’d hate to say this but it is the new year. Have some crazy fun that would make a great story later on in life.”

 

She saw as Nayeon continuously played with the finger where her ring should have been.

 

“Pretend like you’re not a married woman tonight.” Taegi pat Nayeon’s shoulder then slid her hand down to grab her wrist. “Take this,” she instructed giving her the shot glass, “and let it slide.”

 

Nayeon narrowed her eyes at Taegi, “I hate you.” she murmured before taking the shot.

 

“Attagirl,” Taegi laughed then shook Nayeon up with excitement in her eyes, “now let’s go dancing!”

 

Pulling the woman into the center of the dance floor, Taegi quickly acquainted herself with the men surrounding her. Taegi was always good with moving her body. Synchronizing herself with the movement of others was like breathing.

 

Quickly taking a toll on her, Nayeon’s body began to ease up as the alcohol made her body feel warm. Not quite the drinker herself, Nayeon’s vision began to grow fuzzy and her ears pounded with the deep bass of the club music. Without even realizing it, she was dancing and oh boy was she enjoying herself.

 

Taegi whooped and hollered as she saw her sheltered friend dancing with a yummy Spanish man. Never in her four years of working with Nayeon has Taegi ever seen Nayeon dance. Although it was kind of awkward looking, it was obvious that the girl was having a good time. The guy was tall and muscular, but every Spanish man was–or so it seems. Peeking out of his black muscle tee was a cursive tattoo of what could possibly be his last name.

 

Throwing her hair to the other side, Nayeon’s body rolled with the body of the man closely adjacent to hers. Trying to keep her hands off of him, Nayeon danced with her hands in the air. At this point her entire system was strictly music only. That was until she felt the man’s fingers lace with hers. Like a siren going off in her internal body, Nayeon tried to pry her hands away.

 

“No,” she rejected, still trying to pull her hands away.

 

He responded back to her in a smug tone, but she didn’t understand him. He only pulled her closer to him with both of her hands locked in his grip and pressed against his strong chest. Looking around her, Taegi was nowhere to be seen. Now Nayeon was freaking out.

 

“Um, no thank you.” she nervously said this time trying to shake this stranger off her.

 

His eyebrows furrowed. He was growing frustrated with her. “You dance with me.” he said in broken English then grabbed her and swayed it with his groin.

 

Nayeon screamed from the sudden ual harassment and took this opportunity to slap him. “Get off me!” she shouted over the music.

 

It surprised her how no one seemed to notice what was going on. Was everyone too intoxicated with attraction and booze to see this? Was the music too loud? Or perhaps this was normal. Either way Nayeon wanted to get away from him.

 

His hands trailed up to her hips and her heart accelerated. This was by far one of every woman’s nightmares; helplessly being ually harassed.

 

Her nails sunk deep into his thick skin and he pushed her away. Stumbling against the people next to her, Nayeon broke between the dancing couples and found herself nearly crawling to the bar. Sneaking a look behind her, he was pushing his way towards her and he didn’t look too pleased.

 

Shaking with fear, Nayeon wanted to cry and leave the place. Bouncing on her toes, she looked everywhere for the green neon letters of the ‘EXIT’ sign.

 

Where was the exit again?

 

Taking a glance over her shoulders, he was literally steps away from her. Running in which ever direction, Nayeon panted as she pushed her way through the thick crowd of people; not caring if she had abandoned Taegi or Kibum.

 

“Ms. Nayeon!”

 

She could recognize that thick voice anywhere. Wearing simple light colored jeans, one hand was in his pocket while the other was out waving at her. His smile this time was very genuine, like he was more than happy to see her.

 

“Stefan!”

 

Breaking away from her thoughts, Nayeon grabbed him by and turned his body around so he was blocking her. Holding onto his plain white shirt, Nayeon shut her eyes and panted. Her chest rose up and down and her nose felt a wrinkling sensation like she was going to cry.

 

“What is the matter, Ms. Nayeon?” he asked.

 

Nayeon looked behind Stefan and saw the man stop, like he had given up. Making his way back to the dance floor, Nayeon let out a deep sigh of relief.

 

“Hello? Ms. Nayeon?” Stefan called, bringing her attention back to him.

 

His gorgeous green eyes were still very vivid in the dark club lighting and they as sparkling as ever. Stefan had on in a loose, white shirt clinging onto his built body. His bare arms were so toned and masculine, Nayeon cursed herself for not grabbing on them rather than his shirt. His hair was still slicked up, but it was messy this time. He made messy hair into an art. Oh, the things this man could do. As if the bellboy uniform wasn’t y enough, Stefan in just a simple white shirt and jeans could cure all cases on infertility.

 

He noticed how her face was pale and paranoid. His thick eyebrows furrowed in concern, “Are you okay?”

 

Feeling like she held her breath the entire time, Nayeon let out a deep exhale. “Stefan, please,” she pant, “take me away of this place.”

 

His eyes widened. Although he literally just got to the club, he didn’t hesitate. “Of course,” he said with his gentle voice. Taking her hand, his other was pressed on the flat surface of her back and he escorted her out.

 

 

 

Rejected at first, she was forced to go at the back of the line. It’s been literally thirty minutes since she’s been waiting and she was finally at the front of the line. Thinking about all those pictures she could’ve taken of Nayeon being a little made her blood boil. All because of a dumb velvet rope.

 

“Seriously, let me in.” Aeyoung demanded at the club bouncers. “I’m hot–hotter than everyone else in this damn line!” she shouted not caring if everyone was talking on her in Spanish.

 

“Ma’am, the club is heavily packed. As soon as another person leaves, you may go in.”

 

Patiently tapping her foot, Aeyoung pulled out her phone and dialed a number.

 

“Hello, Esmeralda? Yes this is Ae.” she looked at the bouncer in the eyes.

 

Esmeralda Martinez was the boss of Feugo and Aeyoung was her designer. It brought Aeyoung great pleasure to see the dead look in the bouncer’s eyes once she mentioned his boss’ name.

 

“It seems like one of your workers is refusing to service me.” A smirk formed on her lips, “Essie wants to talk to you.”

 

Even with the blaring music of the club in the background, Aeyoung could hear Esmeralda’s shouting. She chortled to herself once her phone was given back to her.

 

“You may enter.” the bouncer said flatly.

 

“That sounds about right.” Swaying her hips with each step, Aeyoung walked to the heart of the club and exhaled. “My destination.” She turned to look at the bar then spotted a familiar someone.

 

Nayeon.

 

But it wasn’t just her. She was with another man. Pressed up against him to be more specific. “What a . She’s even tugging on his shirt. Desperate .” she spat. Aeyoung pulled out her phone and took a few steps to try to get the picture but a man bumped into her. “Watch it, Shrek!”

 

She looked back back Nayeon and the mysterious man was gone.

 

“Look what you–” Aeyoung looked at the handsome man in front of her.

 

“Your phone, miss.” the man said with a smoldering look while handing the phone to her.

 

Immediately seeing the tattoo on his arm, Aeyoung was always pleased with what she saw. “Why don’t you buy me a drink?” she told him as she took her phone back.

 

There will be other days, I’m sure. she assured herself.

 

Once outside and past the long line of people waiting for their entrance, Stefan lowered his head to look at her, “Can you tell me now?”

 

Reluctant at first, Nayeon pursed her lips. However Stefan seemed nice enough. He did leave the club to her. “I’m just not having a good night, is all.” she gave him a reassuring grin. “Sorry for taking you out of your fun. I’m sure you wanted a release especially after work.”

 

“It’s fine.” he said voice full of sincerity. “I honestly didn’t want to go anyway.” Stefan nervously chuckled, “Some friends of mine forced me to go.”

 

Her back straightened up and a smile grew on her lips, “Me too. Nice to know I’m not the only one.”

 

“Yep,” he sighed, “I’m not much of a party goer. I like exploring more.” Shortly after saying that, she looked at him. “What is it?” he said between curious chuckles. “What stare is that?”

 

Nayeon stood up and looped arms with him, “It’s my ‘Why don’t you give me a personal tour of Barcelona?’ stare.”

 

Giving her a salute, Stefan winked at her. “Why of course. It is the greatest honor.” he said.

 

It’s an entire day and she wasn’t picking up her calls. It’s three in the morning and she still wasn’t home. Worried was an understatement. Lee Jinki was going crazy as all these scenarios came up in his head. Had she really run away? Was she that unhappy in their short marriage?

 

To call her again would be a waste of time. He had already redial her number so much he needed to ask his secretary for her charger. Plus it was too late for him to be worrying about these things. He needed to work. He has a huge meeting for the galleria in a few hours. Regardless, he called her again.

 

“The number you dialed is not available at the moment. Leave a message after the tone.”

 

Unlike other calls, he decided he would speak. The irritating beep stopped and Jinki hastily spoke.

 

“Nayeon, it’s me.” he said awkwardly.

 

Of course it’s you. he cursed to himself. Idiot.

 

“I just wanted to, uh–okay, I’m just going to get to the point.” He sighed, trying to organize his ‘three o’clock’ chain of thoughts, “I know last night was rough but please. Don’t forget that I’m your husband. And you’re my wife. Couples argue but arguments are meant to be resolved. I know I’m probably the last person you want to hear from but–”

 

“To listen to your message and record another one, press one.”

 

I miss you.

 

He wanted to say. Ending the call, Jinki prayed that the message was deleted. It was dumb and ridiculous. It screamed clingy and desperacy clearly oozed from his voice. Covering his disappointment with his arm, Jinki tried to fall asleep but the isolation only made him think of their past.

 

He missed how she used to get so nervous and quiet around him. Like she was so anxious to talk to him, just bursting for his attention; the attention that he never got tired of. Their relationship was very new but it was one that he was excited to see where it was going everyday. Now it just seemed to be getting worse and worse. The void in his heart growing larger and consuming more of his consciousness as his guilt grew in increments.

 

Was it stupid to bring up the divorce?

 

Yes.

 

Absolutely.

 

Anyone would agree.

 

But the cards were laid out. Moon Nayeon wasn’t bluffing when she pulled out the divorce card. And he was there. With no cards. You can’t argue with what the dealer gives you. You can only accept with what you’re given and that’s what Lee Jinki did.

 

The elder Spanish woman brought the plate to them. As always, from what Nayeon has seen so far, Stefan thanked the woman with a warm smile and a deep chuckle. He turned to her and handed her a part of the dessert.

 

“What is this?” she asked looking at the foreign delicacy.

 

Churro con chocolate.” he said in Spanish. “Simply churro with chocolate as a side dipping.”

 

“Don’t make fun of me but I’ve never had a churro before.”

 

“What? You mean there are no churros in South Korea?” he said sarcastically.

 

“Never! I mean I’ve heard of them before but South Korea isn’t know for its churros, you know.” She sat up in her seat. “Okay so I just take this friendly thing here and dunk it in chocolate?”

 

“Yep.” Stefan took his churro and dipped it in the melted chocolate. “It’s so simple yet so delicious.” He beckoned at her, “Try it!”

 

Always a little nervous to try new things, Nayeon dipped it in a bit it. Chewing it slowly, Stefan watched for her reaction with excitement.

 

“Well?”

 

“That is extremely sweet.” she said with a frown, making all hope in Stefan falter. “But I like it!” she said much more enthusiastic this time.

 

Nayeon watched as a proud half grin slowly grew on his lips. His dazzling eyes twinkling in the warm hues of the cafe. “You make such simple diner food look so elegant.” he confessed.

 

Completely flattered by his words, she couldn’t help but feel a blooming underneath the skin of her soft face. “Well thank you Stefan. You’ve been complimenting me ever since I landed here.” She swirled her churro in the chocolate, “I don’t know what to say.”

 

“You’re blushing.” He brought his left hand to the surface of her cheeks and his half grin was now a full smile exposing his pearly whites. “You’re blushing.” he finalized.

 

“Tell me who wouldn’t if they were in my position.” she put her churro down. “Is it okay if we go back to the hotel? I’m feeling kind of tired.”

“Of course.” He stood up and pulled her chair back, just like the gentleman that he is. He hauled a taxi that took them to the hotel.
 

Obviously the night went well for her. The hunk she was dancing with came back to the hotel with her and she was finally gonna get to know what a Spanish man feels like. Although he spoke minimal English, as long as he was fluent in body language, Aeyoung didn’t have a problem.

 

“Wait,” she purred into his ear as they stumbled to her room. She giggled as he trailed flirtatious kisses down her neck. Once she unlocked the door, she was ready to pounce on this y beast.

 

Until something caught her eye.

 

A couple, to be more specific.

 

Whipping her head to the left, she saw Nayeon with the same bellboy from earlier. If she didn’t know any better, it look like she was gonna bring him inside the room and have him take advantage of her.

 

“What a .” she ironically hissed under her breath. “Hector,” she called the man in front of him. Running a finger done his chest and swirling it around his , she whispered in his ear, “Go in there and surprise me.” She pulled away from him, “I’ll be back.”

 

He nodded his head and she shut the door. Fishing her phone from the clutter of inside her purse, Aeyoung pulled it out and silenced the sound so her snapshots wouldn’t be heard. As if the stars aligned just for this moment, the bellboy leaned towards her and Aeyoung caught every second of it.

 

“Busted.” she whispered to herself. Pulling away before they would catch her, Aeyoung leaned on the wall and looked at the photos. “I predict a divorce coming.” She slide the key down and opened the door.

 

“To send or not to send,” she singsonged. She stopped in her tracks as a trail of rose petals made its way to her room.

 

I’ll gather more later. I’m too busy now.

 

“Thank you for taking me all the way back here.” Nayeon turned to Stefan once they reached her doorsteps. “You really didn’t have to.”

 

“It’s no problem. I wouldn’t want to lose sight of you.” He caressed the side of her face then his thumb slowly ran across her bottom lip. Gradually he leaned towards her and her breath grew shallow. Before he could capture her lips with hers, she turned away.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t.” Quickly getting a glance of his face, Stefan didn’t look offended at all. “I’m sorry,” she apologized.

 

I don’t kiss strangers. No matter how gorgeous they are.

 

“It’s okay,” he said as if nothing happened. “We, Spanish people, are naturally touchy and intimate.” he kissed her on her hand, “Especially when there is such an exquisite face in front of us. We can’t help it.”

 

“Happy New Year, Stefan.”

 

“Happy New Year and good night, Ms. Nayeon.” he said then gave her a bellboy bow, making her giggle.

 

“Be safe on your way home.” she slid her key then enter the hotel room. “I thought I’d never see you again!” she exasperatedly sighed to the room. She plopped herself on the large sofa. Her phone hit her face and she groaned.

 

“What?” she said to her phone. She had completely forgotten about it until now, which is surprising because usually she would have posted a picture on her Instagram. She liked to keep her fans updated.

 

Turning it on, she saw that she had 106 messages, 95 missed calls and 1 voicemail. This was by far the most she had seen, at least in a while. Starting with the messages, it was a few messages from Kibum and Taegi explaining that they wouldn’t be at the hotel so don’t wait up.

 

And the other 97 were from him.

 

Her entire missed calls were from him.

 

“To listen to your voicemail, press 1.”

 

1

 

“Nayeon, it’s me. I just wanted to, uh–okay, I’m just going to get to the point. I know last night was rough but please. Don’t forget that I’m your husband. And you’re my wife. Couples argue but arguments are meant to be resolved. I know I’m probably the last person you want to hear from but–”

 

The tone went off.

 

“‘but’ what?”

 

She was left wondering what he husband didn’t get to say.

 

It’s been such a long time since she heard his voice; his sincere and gentle voice that always sounded so apologetic. Nayeon missed that Jinki. She didn’t like the Jinki that she had left in Seoul.

 

Suddenly she felt very dirty. Morally of course. While her husband was worried about her, she was in Barcelona having a fling.

 

But nothing happened. And even if something did happen, she did her best to dodge it.

Like Stefan’s kiss.


Hey everyone so here's a super long chapter for a super longtime away! finals went wonderfully and I ended the semester with straight a's!