Nostalgic Memories

An Inheritor's Marriage

In addition to his position as the CEO to Glory Hotel and Suites, Jinki was appointed as the executive president for Royal Midnight Galleria in Seoul–the whole reason why his marriage even exists. He stepped in the room and all the members stood up to bow at him. Jinki sat down on the center chair and everyone proceeded to introduce themselves and their contribution to the galleria. He caught eyes with a familiar woman as she stood up.

“Hello, I am Hwang Minrin and I will be in charge of the construction of Royal Midnight Galleria.” she looked at Jinki, “It is an honor for HG Constructions to be a part of this project.”

After the introductions of the other members of the board, the meeting was dismissed. Minrin waited for everyone to leave. Once the room was empty, she walked up to Jinki, “I told you we’d run into each other again,” she said with a smile.

“Almost as if you knew it was coming.” he said with a smile back. They walked out of the building.

“Of course, this project was all that my father had been talking about.” Minrin looked at her watch, “Let’s go have lunch, as friends,” she included. She saw how Jinki looked rather reluctant, “Oh come on, it’s been literally a month since I’ve seen you. We could catch up.” He narrowed his eyes at her, “My treat,” she smiled.

That damn smile of hers. It could literally make him do anything she asked, even to this day. Jinki sighed, “Where to?”

Nothing has changed, Minrin was still a fan of Italian food. At a high-end, Italian restaurant, they sat by the window so she could admire the afternoon, just like how she would use to. Jinki looked at her and couldn’t believe that he was with her, of all people. Minrin caught his eyes then cleared .

“How was Taipei?” she asked, trying to break the ice. “I saw your guys’ issue in Vogue. Quite steamy, if you ask me.”

Jinki softly grinned, he might as well enjoy this moment while it lasted. “Taipei was fun but our trip got cut short because of business in Korea.” He really just wanted to hear her talk so he could observe her, “How about you? What have you been up to?”

She talked about herself, but in a non-conceited and narcissistic way. Hwang Minrin was always such a bright person; she was both intellectual and intelligent. She had a mellow laugh that made you want to join and a warm smile to go with it. Suddenly all his adolescent feelings came back. Hwang Minrin wasn’t a business partner anymore; in the short time of their luncheon, she became Hwang Minrin the girl he was immensely infatuated with during his teenage years.

 

Today was a long day, but she got through. Shortly after her luncheon with Jinki, she was needed to discuss the exterior and interior of the galleria–which took all night. Minrin smiled, remember her time with Jinki. It was always nice to meet up with an old friend, but to be comfortably having lunch with a past love was incredible. She walked into their townhome and already she was being followed by him.

“Looks like you’re finally going on with the plan.”

Minrin sighed and took off her blazer. She didn’t want to deal with his . Not today. He wasn’t going to let him ruin her perfectly good day. She was well aware of what plan he was talking about; the plan to sabotage Wang Royal Group She turned to him, “I don’t want to do this.”

“Aren’t you enraged about what Lee Wang did?” Minho asked, trying to evoke a response from her. “Don’t you just want to destroy everything that he has?”

She was tired of it. She was tired of him using her to his advantage. It was going to stop tonight. Minrin turned to him, “No, actually, I don’t.” she said in a bold tone, usual from her tired and submissive one. It was like Jinki gained her a fuel that was deprived years ago. “I will not live a vengeful life like you. Lee Wang may have taken the only man I truly loved away from me, but I will not corrupt myself to get back at him. Also, just because you feel inferior to Lee Jinki-sshi, it does not give you the right to abuse my connection with him for your own shortcomings.”

Minho scoffed, “Are you going against my authority, Hwang Minrin?”

“I thought I made it quite clear, didn’t I?”

“Wow, one lunch date with him and you think you’re superior now, right?” he grabbed her wrist with a twisting grip.

Minrin remain bold, even though it hurt. “Yes because unlike you, Lee Jinki knows how to properly treat a woman. Not grab her arm and hurt her like the coward that you are.”

He let out a small chuckle, “I’m the coward, right?” His chuckled came to a complete stop and his eyes grew dark, “Fine.”

With his strong grip, Minho dragged her down the hallway, leading her into the room. She resisted and suddenly broke free. Quickly, he grabbed her by the hips and threw her over his shoulder. Minrin yelled for him to let her go and once they were near the door, she tried latching her fingers onto the edge but he was too strong for her. He threw her on the bed and she crawled away. Minho grabbed her by the ankle and pulled her back to him. Tears of fear streamed down the corners of her eyes as she continued to fight with Minho. Her hair was disheveled and her blouse was messily clinging onto her. He finally managed to get her hands above her head. Fear was evident in her eyes although she swallowed her tears.

“Do it,” she said with a clogged throat, “Go ahead. Take advantage of my body.” The stream of tears got visually thicker, “It’s no different than what you do to me anyway.”

Minho took a glance at her then inched closer to her face. Minrin held her breath and flickered her eyes. “You’re not worth it.” he lowly whispered before roughly releasing her wrists from his hold. He walked away from the room and walked to get a drink in the kitchen.

Minrin laid in that position for a good second, then silently cried to herself. She sat up and sobbed in her hands. Knowing she needed to be away, Minrin grabbed her keys and purse then left the townhome with a door slam.

 

His phone rang but he didn’t recognize the number. He slid the screen in his car and answered the call via bluetooth.

“Jinki,” the person on the phone spoke before he could even greet. Soft snivel was heard, “Remember when we were in Iseo Academy and you used to sing to me? I remember how beautiful your voice was.”

“Minrin,” Jinki called. Never has he seen her sad or cry before so hearing it was absolutely heartbreaking.

She cried softly, “Can you sing me ‘Hug' by DBSK?” she requested, “Just one last time then I will leave you alone.”

He could hear the sound of cars going by behind the background and he grew worried. “Hwang Minrin, where are you at right now? I’ll come to you.”

She took a deep breath to equalize her voice, “I’m at the small bridge next to the ginkgo tree. You know, the one we would go to after school.”

“Don’t go anywhere. I’ll be there in five minutes.”

 

This place meant so much to him. It was the first time he tasted street style dukbokki, first time he won his only shouting contest, and the place where he had his first kiss with his first love. Jinki turned the engine off and took the keys out of the ignition. He looked for the small bridge and the large ginkgo tree that swallowed it. He saw a woman sitting on the bench next to the bridge and automatically knew that it was Minrin. He got out of the car and ran to her.

“Minrin,” he looked to see if she was alright. Dry tears stained her face and he grew worried, “What happened?”

That soft, reassuring smile appeared on her face. “Sit down, Jinki. The lake looks pretty tonight.” He did as she told and she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Hwang Minrin, tell me what happened.”

“I missed us.” she confessed, changing the subject. “I want to go back to the way things were.”

Accepting the fact that she didn’t want to talk about it, Jinki carried on her topic. “But we’re adults now, Minrin. We have our own responsibilities; our own lives.”

Hearing him say that really just made her heart sink deeper in her core. A large teardrop slipped out as she idly stared at the moon’s reflection in the lake, “Do you ever wonder what happened to me or how it was for me after that day?”

Yes, I still wonder til this day. “No, because some things are better left unsaid.” He felt the strenuous tug at his shoulder again but he didn’t let it get to him. The scar was his reminder of the consequence of love and fighting authority.

“Earlier that week your father told me that I was either to leave or he would permanently destroy my father’s business.” she told him anyway. “I thought he was bluffing so I didn’t believe him.” Jinki felt the wetness of her tears through his sleeve. “In just three days, my family and I were on the streets with no where to go.”

Jinki shut his eyes, not wanting to hear the struggles that she underwent.

“I went back to your father the fourth day and begged for him to stop. It took so much effort for me to tell him that I’d leave only if he would restore my family back to wealth. Under your father’s command we moved to Incheon where we met up with Choi Minho and his family. It was decided that we would be the official construction company to their hotel chain. To tie it together, Minho and I were set up for marriage.” She sat up and looked at him. “I cried so hard. I didn’t get to say goodbye or even give you a proper explanation. Then everything just seemed to be getting worst and worst by the event.”

Jinki hugged her in his arms, tears from the tip ofpp his eyes. “I’m sorry I wasn’t there to help you. I’m sorry my father made your life so difficult.” he voice cracked from his sob, “I’m so sorry, Minrin.”

Minrin held him tighter and cried in his chest, “I missed you so much, Jinki.”

He pulled away and looked at her wet, tearful face, “It’s okay, I’m here now. Don’t cry.” They shared another warm hug, reuniting in each other’s embrace.

 

Nayeon woke up and saw a text message from Taegi telling her to see the news or at least the latest article of The Social Tide. After getting dressed and over with her morning routine, Nayeon looked at the news on her phone. She read the article and calmly composed herself before she walked down stairs.

“Good morning,” Jinki greeted from the kitchen.

She smiled at him and sat down. He leaned over to kissed her on the cheek. “Jinki,” she said as the maid poured her a cup of orange juice, “Where were you last night?” she asked as she sipped the drink.

“I was working, why?”

She put it down and smiled a scoff, “That’s funny.” She handed him the tablet, “Please explain this.”

 

[BREAKING] Lee Jinki spotted with unknown woman on a lunch and late night date. Cheating speculations arise.


Haven’t been up to date with Minrin in a while, huh? Anyway, now you kind of know why Minho/Minrin have a sort of pact against Jinki/Wang Royal Group + Minrin's side of the story about her departure. Oh no! Paparazzi caught Jinki and Minrin D: How will Nayeon react to this? RIGHT WHEN THEY WERE RESOLVED TOO!