A Hostile Person

An Inheritor's Marriage

Nayeon walked out of the building and was immediately bombarded with a crowd of swarming paparazzi. She faked a smile and paved her way through them with an occasional waving pose and a polite dip of a bow. A black car parked in front of her and the chauffeur quickly ran to the side to open the door for her. In the car, Nayeon could see her mother sitting there with the same fake smile, “Nayeon, dear, come inside.”

“What are you doing here?” She lowly asked between her clenched smile.

“Come in so we could get this over and done with,” her mother whispered as her lips remained in its false position. “Come in, it’s cold outside! You'll get sick!” she said purposely aloud.

Nayeon complied and waved at the camera whilst getting inside the tinted car. As they drove past the group, her smile drooped to an emotionless line. She crossed her legs and looked ahead, “Why did you come to pick me up? I didn’t call you.”

“Can’t a mother pick up her own daughter from work?”

Nayeon laughed in mockery, “Bull."

Upon hearing her daughter's response, she slapped her. “You can speak to me like this all you want but I better not hear such ugly words come out of your damn mouth in front of your husband and in-laws tonight.”

Nayeon cupped her cheek and poked the inside of her throbbing cheek with her tongue. “What’s with the title usage?” She glared at her mother, “Husband? Don’t you think it’s too soon to be saying that?”

“Like it or not, get used to it. You'll be addressing him that a week from now.” She scanned her daughter then scoffed, “You think you have a say in this ordeal, don't you? Well, you don't. Remember, you offer absolutely nothing to this family. You're pretty and that's all you'll ever be. If it weren't for that pretty face of yours, you would be completely useless. Be glad you're in this marriage. This is the only insurance that you will ever get in your pathetic life. You need Jinki not for us but for yourself, keep that in mind.” The car stopped at her father's hotel. “Get out. The dinner starts at 7 so I expect you to look wonderful like always. Kwon will pick you up at 6:30 so get ready earlier.”

Nayeon held in her tears and in her lips. The chauffeur, Kwon, opened the door for her. Nayeon took a step out but was pulled back by her mother.

“What?” Her voice accidentally cracked.

“I love you, sweetie.” Her mother smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind Nayeon's ears as she handed her sunglasses; her eyes directing to the hidden paparazzi from behind her, “See you tonight, okay.”

Nayeon quickly caught on. She flashed a smile and nodded with eyes so close to letting that heavy teardrop fall, “Okay mom, love you too.”

She snatched her sunglasses and quickly put them on. Nayeon got out of the damn car and gripped her purse on her shoulder. Her eyelids fluttered in stinging pain from holding back the pain. She made sure that her sunglasses prevented her tears from slipping out. She entered the hotel and walked towards the elevator until she felt someone put their hand on her shoulder. She jerked back with a gasp.

Jinki smiled at her reaction, but stopped once he saw her pink cheek. “What happened to your cheek?” he asked as he brought his hands up to caress it.

She pushed his hand away, “Nothing,” she quickly replied. “There are no reporters here, you don't have to pretend like you care.” Nayeon turned her back on him and walked away.

He followed her pace, “Why can't I care about my fiancé?”

“Why would you?” she lightly laughed, “It's not real anyway.”

“We don't have to treat it like its arranged,” he said with an honest straight face.

Nayeon looked away, feeling uncomfortable with the way he was staring at her, “Why are you here? I don't have to see you until 7,” she walked closer to the elevators.

“Can I not see my fiancé?” He stood in front of her, “Why can't I just stop by and say hi?”

This conversation reminded her of the previous one with her mother and that enraged her. “Because I know you didn't choose to now what do you want?” she asked with a louder voice.

“How are you so sure that someone sent me here on a mission? Am I a spy now?” he asked wanting to lighten up the mood.

Nayeon shook her head, “I don't have time for you.”

She walked past him to press the elevator button.

Before she could press the elevator button, Jinki pulled her hand back. He took her by the shoulders and turned her full attention to him. “You can wear the largest, most expensive sunglasses that the world has to offer but,” he lifted them up and wiped away the tears clogged on the insides of them, “It won’t hide the sorrow and pain that your eyes hold.” He gently placed the accessory back on her nose bridge. The elevator dinged then opened. Jinki nodded to the open space with a smile, “I’ll see you tonight.”

He turned around and bowed at the workers that he passed. Nayeon looked at him, completely puzzled with this man. She didn’t want to put too much thought into him and pushed her floor number.

As soon as he reached the entrance, his phone rang. Jinki looked at the caller I.D. and saw that it was his father. He pressed the green button, but before he could even greet the man, he spoke.

“Once you two get married, you're off to Taipei.”

Jinki's footsteps slowed down, “Why so sudden?” He asked as he made way to his car.

His father chuckled deeply over the phone, “New year, new place! You should be grateful. Taipei is beautiful especially during this time.”

Jinki unlocked his car then got in, “There's more to it, tell me now while we're speaking of it.”

His father stopped chuckling, “I've raised a very wise son. The hotel in Taipei is growing deprived of your presence, you need to go there to maintain its honor and excellence.”

Jinki shut his eyes and leaned his head on the window, “What about Joongki?”

“He and Hyojoo were relocated to London.” He sighed, “You're wasting my time with all these questions.”

Before Jinki couldn't respond back, his father hung up. Jinki took a deep breath from his nose. His shoulder began to irritate him again as he rolled them in a circular motion. He stretched his right arm over and went inside the collar of his dress shirt. His fingers hovered over the scar then pressed down to massage over the muscle tissue. As soon as he felt the area ease up, he pulled away and rolled his neck. He adjusted his shirt then the ignition and drove away.

 

The parents laughed amongst themselves as Nayeon stared at the food, not wanting to take a bite from it. There was luxurious food such as Wagyu Ribeye, Kobe Beef, lobster, and Belgian caviar. She gently frowned at the food and put her fork down.

“Nayeon, sweetie, is there a problem with the dish? Is it not to your liking?” Her mother-in-law asked.

Nayeon received a kick from her mother under the table and bit back her groan. She looked at the other woman and smiled elegantly, “I'm fine, it's just the food looks so delicious I don't know which one to eat first.”

Her father-in-law chuckled as he sipped his wine, “She's got an appetite!” The table shared a round of laughter.

Nayeon faked along as the corners of her lips tugged into a smile. She cut a bit of her steak and forced it into by chewing slowly. Jinki turned his attention to her. He noticed how she took deep breaths between chews and how swallowing became a hassle.

He stood up, “If you don't mind, may Nayeon and I be excused.” She stopped chewing then looked at him. Jinki looked at his father, “I'd like to get to know my wife better.”

His father grinned as his son then turned to the girl's parents, “What do you guys say?” They looked at each other and smiled, “I don't see why that would be a problem.”

Jinki walked to Nayeon's side of the table and gestured his hand for her to take. Nayeon spat the remainder of her food in her napkin then stood up, completely ignoring his hand. She bowed at the elders then turned to Jinki, “Where to?”

On their way to the garden, Jinki looked at Nayeon hollowing the inside of trying to rid the taste of the food. He handed her a handkerchief, "Was the food not to your tasting?" She accepted the napkin from him. “You're gagging at the food like a pregnant woman.”

She roughly wiped her tongue then spat, “Well I'm not, thank god.” She looked at him, “I'm a vegetarian. When I was a child my older sister killed my rabbit and had the chef serve it to the family.” Nayeon cringed from the memory and Jinki frowned from the imagery. “Ever since then I've never eaten meat, even if my family hasn't noticed that.”

He gave her an apologetic face, “I'm sorry to hear that. I should've figured when you were chewing so disgustingly.”

Nayeon was going to thank him for his thoughtful thinking about her, but realized it could've been twisted in so many ways. She crossed her arms, “I don't need your pity.”

He scoffed, “I wasn't giving you a pity party, I was being humane. Why is it so hard for you to believe that I'm actually genuine and kind?”

“Because I know people like you. You don't care about me or my personal issues or whatever.” Nayeon argued back aggressively. “You're only in for the money that my family will bring yours. The marriage is only a profit for both or us so why not accept it for what it is?”

“You’re making assumptions on the limited knowledge and information you have of me.” He shook his head, “I am not happy that my brother got to marry the woman he loves while my marriage life is a business ordeal, but I'm making an effort to make things work. I know you despise the fact that our marriage is for money, but we don't have to treat it like how it is.”

He walked up to her and looked at her in the eyes. Admiring how stunning they looked in the moonbeam. Her lips glistened and she looked absolutely breathtaking.

Jinki closed the distance between them, “I want you to experience a true marriage, not an arranged one.”

Nayeon held her breath. The space between their bodies was so intimately close. His gaze on her was so sincere and promising yet so strong and enticing. Jinki was without a doubt an attractive and handsome man, but underneath that alluring face of his could be a malicious man.

She pushed him away, “It's cold.” She walked away from the garden and back into the house. She walked back to the kitchen and grabbed her coat, “If you don't mind, I'll be leaving first.” She announced.

“Already?” Her mother-in-law gaped, “Why so soon?”

Her father shot her a look of threat, “Yes sweetie,” he emphasized, “What's the rush?”

“I've got a photo shoot tomorrow in Tokyo so I need to hurry before I miss my flight.” She bowed, “Thank you for the wonderful dinner.” She walked down the hallway and saw Jinki. Before he could say goodbye, she brushed his shoulders with hers as her heels clanked on the marble floor and out the door.


So this was originally suppose to be a very long chapter, but I was like "This is way too long!" So I barely just cut it now. The wedding shall be coming up soon! Thank you everyone for reading. As we already know, Nayeon's mom is evil isn't she? Her parents are so fake ugh. What do you guys think about Nayeon? I'm curious. Also Jinki is such a sweet heart. I volunteer myself as tribute to marry him.