Marriage's Limits

An Inheritor's Marriage

She felt the other woman’s presence on her, “What is it, Taegi?” Nayeon asked as she was making scrambled eggs. The night before, she had gathered her clothes and spent the night at Taegi’s. Throughout her time there, there was an awkward vibe around Taegi; Nayeon could feel it. “Just say it. You’ve been acting weird ever since I’ve been here.” She turned off the stove and divided the portion onto two separate plates.

 

Taegi took her plate, “It’s just–you know, your kiss with Kibum was really unexpected.” She shoved some eggs in to stop it from continuing, “That’s all.”

 

Nayeon laughed aloud, “Taegi,” she looked at the woman, “The kiss didn’t mean anything. It was all Hollywood; he just wanted to piss off Jinki. Plus,” she raised a brow at her, “I know that you like Kibum.” She popped a piece in and began to chew, “I would never break your trust and I’m not interested in him whatsoever.” Nayeon the TV, “Even with all this drama, I’m still married you know.”

 

She turned to look at the screen and saw a familiar woman standing in front of a press conference. “Isn’t that the girl?” Taegi asked?

 

Nayeon nodded as she put her plate down to listen.

 

Minrin stood in front of the press, flash photography nearly blinding her even in the morning sun. She took a deep breath, swallowing her pride yet again. “Hello and good morning. My name is Hwang Minrin and I am the vice president of HG Constructions. I came here, in front of each and every one of you, to discuss my behavior and the rumor regarding Lee Jinki of Wang Royal Group. I am here to clarify that there is nothing serious going on and he is most definitely not cheating on his wife, Moon Nayeon. We were simply just old colleagues having lunch together. Later on during the day, I was having some issues and Lee Jinki was generous enough to come console me personally. I am deeply sorry for my behaviors and will spend an awful amount of time reflecting on it.” She looked straight at the camera, “For anyone that was impacted by my actions, I am deeply sorry and utmost ashamed for what I have done.” Minrin deeply bowed then left before any questions could be answered.

 

Nayeon turned away from the TV and began poking on her food. Taegi looked at her, not sure what to do. “Change the channel,” Nayeon said not looking up.

 

Taegi changed it, “So what are you gonna do?” She continued eating, “I mean we’ve got to discuss this at some point.”

 

Nayeon sighed, “I don’t know.” She put her fork down and looked at Taegi, “But I’ve got to get some things straightened out first.”

 

After the short breakfast, she quickly made her way to the office with Taegi. With her head held high and her chin up,  Nayeon ignored the whispers and stares she was receiving. Immediately a young girl walked up to the both of them as they entered their usual station where Kibum and Taegi work.  

 

The girl was young, younger than both Taegi and Nayeon. Her hair was in a side braid and her outfit consisted of layers of clothing. She held a huge smile on and bowed at Nayeon.

 

“Hello!” she said confidently to the woman-face much more serious and composed now. “My name is Son Wendy and I will be your assistant from here on.” She looked at Nayeon and gushed in a huge smile again, “It is the greatest honor to be working for you, Mrs. Moon-err-Lee I mean–”

 

Nayeon put her hand up, “It's fine you can just call me, Nayeon.” she put her hand down and softly grinned, “No formalities please. I'm sure our is not that wide.”

 

They stood there for a split second until Wendy jerked forward. “Uh–please, come,” she gestured for both women to enter the area. She walked with them to Taegi’s area. She stood there with the same smile on her face while looking at them. Taegi urged for Nayeon to get rid of her clingy assistant.

 

“Wendy,” she called.

 

“Yes, Nayeon-sshi?” she said fully alert.

 

“You may leave now, if I ever need you I will call for you.”

 

She nodded enthusiastically then left. As soon as the clanking of her heels were far from earshot, the sound of wheels quickly made their way.

 

“What’s with the hyper burst of sunshine?” Kibum asked sitting on his swivel chair.

 

“Nayeon’s got a new assistant,” Taegi laughed, “more like a huge fangirl working for her.”

 

She nudged Taegi, “Don’t be mean.”

 

Kibum scooted himself towards them, “Well whatever it is, I don’t want it near me. I’m afraid my blood pressure with burst from her annoying presence.”

 

“Do you know if boss is in yet?” Nayeon asked him. “I need to talk to her.”

 

“She usually arrives at 10,” Taegi said as she arranged her products, “but I’m not sure.”

 

“Can’t hurt to check, right?” She turned around and walked to the elevators but was stopped.

 

“Nayeon-sshi, is there something you need?” Wendy hastily asked with a bagel in her hand, still chewing. “I can always do it for you.”

 

The elevator door opened and she stepped in. “Your only job now is trying to find out where a woman named Hwang Minrin is at right now.” The door closed and she waved at the girl.

 

Wendy repeated the name in her head. “Hwang. Min...” he eyes widened, “Isn’t it that one girl that–” she crushed the bagel in her hand and took a deep breath, “I will dig deep, Moon Nayeon-sshi.”

 

Resisting through the secretary’s pleads and excuses, Nayeon forcefully opened the door. Park Kahi looked up then continued her paperwork. “How’d you like Sandy?”

 

“You mean Wendy?” she corrected.

 

“Close enough,” she looked at her secretary to leave. The woman nodded then shut the door. “So,” she folded her arms and directed all her attention at the model, “What do you want to speak to me about?”

 

“Why did you give me her? I didn’t ask for an assistant I barely do anything, there’s no use in having her.”

 

Kahi swept her bangs away from her face and tucked it behind her ear, “Do you know why I hired Wendy for you?” she didn’t wait for Nayeon to answer, “because your life is a mess right now.”

 

“And you thought a chirpy girl could improve it?”

 

“No, I thought she’d make making decisions easier for you. Wendy’s a smart girl. She has experience in business and psychology so if you ever need to talk to someone–”

 

“Look, I really appreciate what you are trying to do but I don’t think it is appropriate that you got involved in my personal life. Things aren’t as bad as the media made it to be. For the sake of her, keep Wendy. But from now on, please don’t do things like this without my approval.” Nayeon turned around and slammed the door. Standing in front of her was her little assistant with a paper in her hand and a wide, cheeky smile.

 

“I did what you asked for.”

 

Maybe having Wendy as her assistant wasn’t so bad. Her boss wasn’t kidding when she said that the girl was smart. Actually it was an understatement. Son Wendy is brilliant. How? She managed to get not only the whereabout of Hwang Minrin, but also her number. She had other information about the woman, but Nayeon refused the offer.

 

Waiting in the fancy cafe, Nayeon looked at the bland cup of tea in front of her. Ironic how the most expensive is the most boring. Tea uninteresting and awful. She pushed aside the drink and idly stared at objects in front of her. Prior to her setting, she had called Minrin to meet her at the place. Knowing that it was important, Minrin had agreed to meet her. Nayeon honestly had no idea what to say when the woman arrives.

 

Should she yell?

 

Cry?

 

Slap her?

 

Make a scene?

 

She wasn’t too sure.

 

All she knew was she was anxious to meet this woman: the woman that her husband had fallen back in love with.

 

It’s funny how love works. You could literally be a model but still lose your husband to another woman. Except she’s that one woman is the one he’s been longing for. It’s also funny how one person could ruin the whole stability of a relationship.

 

I guess it’s true. Unrequited love is the worst and most painful type of love.

 

The seat in front of her was pulled back and a woman sat in front of her. From her sunglasses, Nayeon carefully scanned the woman in front of her. Minrin has a graceful maturity about her that really stood out. Although she looked rather fatigued, she still held herself with dignity. It was no doubt that she was beautiful. Even with her hair tied back, she was still very gorgeous. Her attire was very crisp and professional; spotless and elegant, a perfect match for her face. Hwang Minrin was a beauty, it’s no wonder Jinki was so infatuated by her.

 

Nayeon took off her sunglasses, trying to organize her words before she spoke. However Minrin beat her to it.

 

“I just want to say that I am so sorry for everything. I never thought it would turn out this way.”

 

She set her sunglasses down and folded her fingers in front of her. Nayeon looked at the woman in front of her and sighed, “I know,” she said with an unusually calm voice.

 

Minrin was somewhat taken back. She expected Nayeon fuming in anger, a slap even, but instead the wife was calm and was perceived as very mellow. Nayeon continued:

 

“I don’t intend to take long so I will make it clear:” she looked at Minrin in the eyes to emphasize her statement, “Stop seeing my husband.”

 

That she expected. Minrin looked down, not knowing how to respond. Nayeon took this as her sign of shame.

 

“Do you know what’s the most painful thing any woman could ever experience?” she asked the guilty, “Questioning whether or not your husband loves you or not.” she stood up and took her sunglasses, “Please stop whatever you have with my husband. I understand that you two are business partners but please remember that he is married and so are you. You can ruin your marriage life all you want,” she said as she put on her accessory, “but please don’t let it affect Jinki and mine.”

 

She walked away with a heavy weight on her chest. A very large amount of her felt very unsatisfied. She wanted to so badly hit the woman. Whether it was slap her or claw her eyes out, Nayeon wanted to hurt Minrin as much as the news did to her. She didn’t care if it was unintentional, she wasn’t happy.

 

“Be strong,” she told herself as she got in her car. “Don’t live your life as a vengeful person.”

 

Her days lately has been very stressful and dull. She figured she would indulge in something sweet and frothy. It was lunch rush hour so she figured she shouldn’t be too picky. Driving down the busy downtown street, Nayeon made sure to find a cafe that wasn’t too overcrowded. She wanted to order her sweet beverage then get out. No drama, no distractions, just herself and the drink.

 

She stopped at a small cafe called “Kuppa Joy.” Clever name but she was hoping they’d have something sweet to melt the bitterness of her week away. She walked in and was immediately greeted with fairly loud coffee shop music. Right off the bat the staff recognized her.

 

“What would you like to order, Mrs. Moon Nayeon?”

 

“Um, well,” she took off her sunglasses and folded her arms, “I’m not too sure. I’m really just looking for a frappuccino or something sweet.”

 

“Then I really suggest the Caramel Avalanche,” a voice next to her said. She looked to the right, where the voice came from, but there was no one. There was a tapping on her left shoulder but saw no one as well. She looked forward and gasped from the sight of someone in front of her.

 

His Adam’s Apple jogged in his throat as he chuckled, “Did I frighten you?” Minho chuckled.

 

“Somewhat,” she softly laughed, “It’s been a while, Choi Minho-sshi.”

 

“Not that long but it’s always nice to see a friend, right?” He turned to the menu, “So about that Caramel Avalanche,” he threw his head back and sighed, “Amazing. You know how Starbucks is extremely greedy with their flavors, Kuppa Joy hits the spot. One of my personal favorites, to be honest.”

 

“Alright then,” she turned to the cashier, “I’ll have a Caramel Avalanche.”

 

“Make that three; to go,” Minho included.

 

“Alright three Caramel Avalanches. Your total is 11,750 won.” the cashier said. While she pulled her wallet out of her purse, Minho pulled out his credit card and slid it down the machine.

 

With her wallet in her hand, Nayeon looked at him with a displease expression, “You didn’t have to do that,” she put her wallet back in her purse, “I could’ve paid for it.”

 

“You could’ve,” he said as he put his credit card back in his wallet, “but I wanted to. Just in my mannerism to pay. Plus I’m buy one more than you are so it’d be rude of me to let you pay.” They walked to a nearby table and sat down. “So what have you been up to?” he asked. “I thought you would have a fabulous photoshoot to go to.” he said as he began to make ridiculous poses.

 

Nayeon laughed and shook her head, “Yeah, being a model isn’t as fabulous as people think. I have a lot of free time.”

 

“So you’re not that great then, I assume.” he joked.

 

“I guess not,” she said playing along. The bell rang and the worker notified them that their order was ready. As they went to get their drinks, a few of the workers asked to take some pictures with her, in which she gladly accepted.

 

After taking pictures and giving them her autograph, she walked to Minho. He handed her her drink and in perfect synchronization, they dug into the caramel-drizzled whip cream. Noticing that they did the same thing, they laughed at the irony. “Glad I’m not the only one to delve into the whip cream.” she said as she it off her lips.


“It’s so unappreciated!” he exclaimed as they left the small shop. “It’s honestly the only thing I anticipate when I order these.”

 

“Same here!” She covered the sun from her eyes, “Where you off to?” she asked.

 

“Why? You wanna come with?” he joked. “I just came to get my brother and myself  a drink.” He nodded to the large skyscraper across the street, “I work there. I lost to him at rock-paper-scissors and the penalty was to get us this,” he said raising the drinks. “What about you?”

 

“Well,” she said through a sigh, “I’m gonna head back to work as well,” she lied, “I’ve actually got a fitting to go to.”

 

Minho stood up straight and saluted her, “The male population awaits your shoot.”

 

Nayeon smiled then waved at him, “Goodbye Minho-sshi. I was nice seeing you again.” They parted ways: he briskly walked across the street before it could hit the no-crossing sign and she made her way to her car.

 

“You shouldn’t be getting to close to her.” He had just entered the room and already his brother was giving him demands.

 

“Actually, I was expecting a ‘thank you’.” Minho put the drink on his brother’s desk. “What nonsense are you talking about now?”

 

Jinhyuk looked at his brother, “I’m being serious, Minho.” He sipped the drink, “You’re married and so is she. Minrin had already started a scandal with her husband, we don’t need more shame under the company name.”

 

“Moon Nayeon is not a threat.” he jeered at the ridiculous idea. “We’re just friends.” he explained.

 

“Moon Nayeon is the last person to start building relations with.” Jinhyuk warned. “I know how you are and I’m just warning you now. You guys are already close as is.”

 

Minho saw the honesty in his brother’s eyes. How Moon Nayeon was a threat, he didn’t know. How they were close, he had no clue. Perhaps there were laws and limits in marriage, but Minho sought to break them all.

 

Not knowing where to go, she ended up at the last place she wanted to be at: their home. It was the afternoon so Jinki wouldn’t be home. She figured it would be safe to gather some more clothes, since she only grabbed an outfit. Knowing that she couldn’t face him yet, Nayeon was going to be at Taegi’s house for at least another week. When she entered the house, the maids looked at her with concern. Thinking that they were just being dramatic about the whole situation, she laughed at them, “Kwan, you look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

 

“Where have you gone last night?” she asked. “Lee Jinki-sshi has been worried sick about you.”

 

“I’ll be staying with a friend for a while.” Nayeon walked towards the staircase, “I just came by to get more clothes.”

 

“Who are you staying with?”

 

Ignoring the person, she continued to make her way to the room and ignored their hollers. She walked to the closet and grabbed her duffel bag, throwing random shirts and pants in there as quick as she can.

 

Jinki took her bag from her. Nayeon looked up at him then looked away. “Give me back my bag.”

 

“Not until you tell me who you’re staying with.”

 

“Why aren’t you at work?”

 

“Why aren’t you at home?”

 

She stood up and laughed at the idiocracy. “This is ridiculous.” she walked past him, “I’ll buy new clothes then; no biggie.”

 

He closed the door so she couldn’t leave. “Nayeon, we need to talk.”

 

“What is there to talk about!” she shouted, feeling a huge flood of emotions hit her again. Her heart raced with fury, pain, and unfelt emotions. “There is absolutely nothing to talk about, Jinki.” she said softly. “What’s been done is done.”

 

“Then please come back home.” he paused, “The house is empty without you.”

 

“So I’m just a space-filler?”

 

“No, you’re my wife and I miss you.”

 

She scoffed, “You know what Jinki, your sweet-talking can’t get to me anymore. The more you do it, the more I’m starting to feel like you’re just playing me.” She tilted her head, “Did you also use this tactic on Minrin? Did it get her too? I bet it did, huh?” she sneered, “That’s why you constantly use it on me.”

 

“Stop with your assumptions!” he shouted. “I’m tired of you being so insecure and doubtful all the time!”

 

“How can I not be when you’re clearly still in love with Minrin!” she argued back. She’s hit it. The emotional part of her is coming back. And it was stronger than ever. “I hate you, Lee Jinki.” Tears began to rim her eyes, “I hate you so much,” she said as she pushed him away from her, “You make me feel so weak and vulnerable. I hate you. I hate that you’ve given me love and pain. I hate you. I hate everything about you and I especially hate myself for still loving you.” She wiped away her pathetic tears and continued, “I hate that I can’t stay away from you and I hate that you keep me coming back. I hate my lack of self-control and I especially hate your presence.” she said quickly as she cried. “I hate you so much, why don’t you just leave–me–alone!” She sat on the bed and cried in her hands.

 

Jinki looked at her then sat next to her. He wrapped his arms around her and fought against her restraints. He put his chin on top of her head as she submitted to his comfort. Nayeon sobbed repeating the words ‘I hate you’. Jinki rubbed circles on her back, “I’m sorry,” he said, “I’m sorry that you hate me and I’m sorry because I love you.”

 

She stopped as her circles decreased. “How do you do these things to me?” she asked softly. “You have the capability to make my heart flutter then you go ahead and step all over it.” She lifted herself away from him and looked at him, “It hurts me to love you, but it hurts me more what you say you love me.” She narrowed her tearful eyes, “Are you lying to me? Are you trying to make me happy?”

 

He wiped her tears away, “I love you, Moon Nayeon. I’ve loved you for a long time now. What I had with Minrin was a long time ago. I was just in a state of shock so I blanked out.” he looked at her eyes, trying to find the part of her that will understand, “You and Minrin have two different spots in my heart. You occupy my heart and all my love goes to you and only you. While hers was merely a buried memory.” He took her hands and kissed it; a habit that she missed. “Please come back home. I miss you.

 

“Your words are beautiful, but my heart is still very broken.” she took the duffle bag from the closet then walked away and out the door. Jinki watched as his wife left him. Without even a drop of remorse, he knew he had screwed up.


hey guys! sorry for the long long absence. i wasn't in the mood; almost in a writer's block. i won't promise that there will be a lot of updates but i sure will not be missing for another month. anyway i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. how did you guys feel about minrin and nayeon's meeting? do you feel like it was justified? and how about nayeon and minho? they seem fun, too bad hyung jinhyuk doesn't seem too pleased with it. what about nayeon's decision to leave jinki. comments are love and thanks each and every one of you for the endless support!