Disputes

An Inheritor's Marriage

The meeting at the cafe was a wonderful coincidence that Minho prayed that would happen again. Lee Jinki and Moon Nayeon’s marriage is in the rut right now. If he slowly befriended her, he would gain so much. The closer they would become, the more he would know about Jinki.

 

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.

 

In Choi Minho’s case, it was an enemy’s wife. But then again, Choi Minho was never really good at keeping friends.

 

Strategizing the day, his plan was flawless. Knowing Nayeon, she was bound to go back to Kuppa Joy. It was isolated, small, and she had a nice experience. Who wouldn’t go back?

 

So he waited.

 

And luck was on his side. In her jogging clothes and earbuds plugged in, Nayeon walked in and smiled at the workers. Already she was a regular.

 

“Another Caramel Avalanche?” a worker asked.

 

She nodded while panting, “Yes, thank you.” She took off her earbuds and turned off the music. Nayeon looked around before she noticed Minho. “Minho-sshi!”

 

Pretending that he didn’t even notice her, Minho sat up and waved at her direction, “Nayeon, I didn’t even see you there.”

 

She walked towards him while rolling up her earbuds. “Nice seeing you here.” She took a deep breath, “Lunch break?”

 

“Actually it’s my day off.” He looked at her, “Jogging, I see. Isn’t it dangerous for a model like you to be out in public? What if erts attack you?”

 

She chuckled, “I highly doubt that would be happening. I’m not that famous.”

“Or so you think,” the worker said, “A Caramel Avalanche for a gorgeous model.”

“I should model for your store,” Nayeon said with a smile, “Maybe there would be more customers.”

 

“Yeah but then that means we won’t get to see you often.”

 

“Then should I keep it a secret?” she said slyly?

 

“Yes!” a worker in the back room shouted.

 

The worker bowed then left them to talk.

 

As if on time, his phone went off. There was a worried look on his face before he proceeded to text.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Hey, wanna go out for dinner?”

 

“That’s random,” she sipped her drink, “Where to?”

 

“I don’t know about you but I just want to chill out.” he slipped his phone in his pants pocket, “I just need to relax from all this stress.”

 

“Chicken and beer?” she suggested. “I’ve never had it but I heard it’s a great way to relax.”

 

“Alright then,” he stood up, “Chicken and beer. I’ll text you.”

 

“Wait–” she looked and she got a text from an unknown number. She opened it and scoffed.

 

 

Save this number, it’s Minho!

 

Nayeon was never a strong drinker, but the experience was nice. After her sixth shot, she was already getting dizzy. Minho’s laughing slowly stopped, noticing how her eyelids were slowly hovering.

 

“Nayeon-sshi, are you okay?” he asked.

 

“Yeah, no, I’m fine. I just,” she was getting sleepy, “pass me some more chicken, will ya?”

 

Now she was talking in informalities. Minho laughed then passed it to her, “Are you sure you can take the soju? You don’t need to drink it if you don’t want to.”

 

“Soju is really strong,” she cleared from the spicy aftertaste.

 

He took the bottle away from her, “Then stop.”

 

She took it back, “But I want to build my alcohol tolerance.”

 

He took it back and gave her a chicken wing, “Eat this instead.”

 

Her head plopped down, “I’m a terrible drinker.”

 

“It wasn’t necessary for you to be good anyway.” He drank some soju and ate a chicken leg. Minho looked around the small tent then finally made his way to Nayeon. She was out – cold.

 

“Hey,” he nudged her a bit, “Moon Nayeon-sshi.”

 

This girl seriously can’t drink, he thought to himself.

 

He sighed then put the chicken wing her gave her away. “Excuse me, we’re done.” he told the older woman. He put bills on the table, much more than the actual cost, and lifted Nayeon up. Knowing that the area they were in was pretty empty and filled with uncultured people, he wasn’t worried that people would recognize either of them.

 

To travel back to Seoul and drop a drunken model off home would have been too scandalous, so Minho took her home. It wasn’t a better option, but it was the safer option. Once he entered the garage of his condo, he helped Nayeon up and into the home. Lifelessly, she fell on the sofa with a corpselike position.

 

He looked at her body.

 

This moment would be the perfect moment, he thought.

 

If he just built up the courage to film this and a hot new scandal will break out and absolutely sabotage Lee Jinki’s image. An unfaithful husband and an irresponsible wife? no one would want to work with anyone with such a terrible reputation.

 

Do it, his conscience told him, now.

 

He sat down and hovered over her. Hands on her shoulders, he was prepared to launch this plan. He put his phone on the table and began to record. Minho looked at Nayeon and gulped. He pulled back and retrieved his phone.

 

He couldn’t do it.

 

Especially to Nayeon. There was something about her that just wouldn’t let him do such foul things to her.

 

“It’s one thing to be seeing another woman,” Minho looked over his shoulder and stood up. Minrin scoffed as she looked at the woman’s unconscious body, “but bringing a woman in the house is another thing.”

 

“Shut up, I don’t need this right now.”

 

“Do you not have any remorse for doing this to me?” she asked. She knew Minho didn’t love her, but to bring a random woman home was pushing it.

 

“I said shut up!” he shouted.

 

From all the shouting, she shifted in her sleep. “Moon Nayeon?” Minrin gawked upon seeing who it was, “Are you kidding me?” She turned around and walked to the room.

 

“Minrin,” he called after her, “it’s not what it looks like.” he caught up with her and stood in front of her, “Minrin will you listen to me!”

 

“What is it, Minho? Is your plan finally working now? Huh? Are you finally getting a piece of what Jinki’s getting, hm?”

“No, Minrin it’s–”

“I know you don’t want to be a part of this marriage, Minho. But do you have no idea how it feels like to come home to see your fiance with another woman?!” she was just blurting out emotions now. She heavily sighed and a tear slipped out, “Of course you don’t because you will never understand.” Minrin quickly wiped her tear away, “Get out. I’ll deal with Nayeon. I don’t want to see your face tonight.”

She shut the door on his face and already he knew he had screw up.

 

A constant pounding was attacking her head and piercing lights shot right through her eyes. Nayeon covered her eyes with an arm and squeezed her temples with the other hand. She sat up and held both templed and turned away from the light.

“Oh god,” she groaned, “My head.” With one eye she squinted open and saw Minrin walk into the room with a cup in her hand.

“He thought it’ll be nice to bring you here instead of taking you home. Less drama and less paparazzis to fight off.” she handed her an orange, mango smoothie, “For the hangover.”

Nayeon took the drink and quietly sat there, unsure what to say.

“Would you like some breakfast? I can take you before I leave.”

Seeing that she had no other option, Nayeon agreed. “Sure.”


 

The inside of her car smelled lovely, just like Minrin. It was no doubt that Nayeon was jealous of her. Minrin was so independent, well off, and competent. It’s not wonder Jinki was so crazy over her.

“So how’s modeling?” Minrin asked, trying make conversations. “I saw you modeling when America’s Next Top Model was here.” she turned to Nayeon with a pretty smile, “Congratulations.”

“Oh,” Nayeon dryly laughed, “It was, uh, fun.” she said awkwardly. Conversing was somewhat difficult to her, especially when she was intimidated.

“Wanna give me the address?”

“You could just drop me off work.”

“When you’re still semi-hungover? No thank you.” She pressed an icon on her GPS, “Just tell her the address.”


His car was still there, thank goodness. Nayeon lowered her head and forced a grin, “Thank you, Minrin-sshi, for the ride.”

“No problem, take care!” she waved then drove off.

Nayeon walked to the doorstep and rang the doorbell. She pressed the button and looked at the camera, “Sangwon-ah, it’s me. Open the door.”

Once the door was opened, her brother stood in front of her with his arms crossed over his chest. “Why aren’t you at home?”

“Why, I can’t visit you anymore?” she said cheekily. She hugged her brother, “I missed you, it’s been a while.” she whined, trying to change the topic.

“I know you haven’t been home, Nayeon.”

She sighed, “Is it that obvious?”

“Jinki’s been calling me.”

She was definitely not expecting that.

Sangwon sighed, “I don’t care how upset you are at him. I want you out of Taegi’s and back home tonight. You are a married woman now. No matter how upset you are at him or how bad the situation is, you two need to talk this through. It’s been nearly a month now, Nayeon. I know I shouldn’t say this, but get over it.”

Nayeon sighed. It took her brother to say for her to do it.

 

 

 

 

After a long day from work, he was finally back at home. Loosening his tie, Jinki took off his loafers and slipped on his slippers. Before entering, he noticed a subtle difference. There was another set of shoes on the mat and a pair of slippers missing. Not just any pair, her pair.

 

Quiet, like it was for weeks, but he felt a familiar presence. First place he checked was the backyard but saw no one aside from Kwan watering the garden and other nurseries. Noticing someone from the corner of her eye, Kwan turned and saw that it was Jinki. She nodded her head to the direction of the kitchen as if saying 'you have a surprise there'.

 

Jinki got the hint and quietly shut the door. He made his way to the kitchen and saw his wife staring indistinctly at the backyard. Perhaps it was the pastel clothing that she was wearing or the person he yearned for the most was right in front of him, but there was a radiant aura around her. Either way, there was an excitement growing inside of him. Then he remembered the last conversation they had.

 

About their divorce that she wanted so badly. He suddenly became uneager to see her. The bitterness of that day returned.

 

“You’re home.” Nayeon said, finally seeing him standing there.

 

Like a dust blown away in the wind, Jinki’s thoughts were pushed away. “Yeah,” answered shortly as he put his tie on the table. Standing in the thickness of silence, Jinki cleared his throat, “I’m tired.” He grabbed his tie again, “If you need me, I’ll be upstairs.”

 

“Jinki.”

 

He stopped his steps.

 

It was much easier to talk to him this way rather than face to face. She wasn’t that strong yet. “Tell me about your day.”

 

There was a short pause, but for her it felt forever.

 

“I’m tired.” and his footsteps filled up the silence.

 

There was a tinge sizzling in her core. Rejection, a feeling she hated the most. Something she constantly lived in but never got the real taste of it until now. Being ostracized from her family and being ignored by her husband are two completely different things. For starters, she actually grew fond of Jinki, hell she loves him. Now that he didn’t have any interest in her anymore. All she had was remorse for herself and nostalgic memories that they shared in the past.

 

The honeymoon phase ended too quickly for them. It was her fault and she knew it. She overthought the scandal and exaggerated the pain but it couldn’t be helped. Pain demands to be felt.

 

 

 

 

Why won’t you speak to me?” Nayeon had invaded his office space. It was a bad way to approach anyone in that matter, but she just wanted to know. “I’m trying here and all you’re doing is shutting down my attempts.”

 

“How do I know that it’s you that actually wants to talk or if it’s Sangwon’s order?”

 

Her shoulders slowly dropped.

 

“You don’t think he would tell me? I know that you were at his house, Nayeon. Dammit, he told me how he had to convince you to go home. He apologized on your behalf, Nayeon!” He was upset.

 

Never has Nayeon seen Jinki frustrated to the point of shouting.

 

“You know, when I entered this marriage, I knew it was going to be hard but I knew I was able to endure it. We were going great Nayeon. Great!” he loudly emphasized. “But then the whole scandal broke out and ed everything up!”

 

Jinki wasn’t one to cuss, so hearing him say it was a shuddering experience.

 

“I love you, Nayeon. I do. But at this point it’s so difficult to compromise with you. So if it’s a divorce you want, then a divorce you will get. I won’t fight your demands anymore. In exchange, try not to make me regret my choice. I tried to be nice, but it seems you won’t accept it; so I won’t anymore.”

 

“But I want to make it work.” she argued. “I don’t want to live like this anymore, Jinki. I’m tired of being upset with each other.”

 

“It’s already been finalized by me.” He picked up his pen and flipped some paperwork.

 

In that moment, her own words has never hurt her so much. From the mouth of Lee Jinki, her husband, that single quote stung every fiber in her being and left it tingling in its misery.

 

“We haven’t reached an agreement with most of the retailers yet so that will probably take a few months. Since construction is done rapidly, the mall should be completed in during Christmas of next year.” He looked up at her, “We will have our divorce in the beginning of 2016. But if you can’t help it, you welcome to get the paperwork whenever you want. I’ll be more than happy to sign it.”

 

Moon Nayeon was defeated. This was what she wanted, right?

 

“That sounds perfect.” she lied. Before leaving, she looked at the antique grandfather clock, “Happy New Years.” she said nonchalantly, then shut the door shut.

 

He tried to get back to his paperwork, but he couldn’t. He put his pen down and curled his fingers on his face, feeling an unreasonable rage hit him.

 

Instead of sharing a New Years kiss, they shared an argument that only made things worse. That night he slept in the guest room. He didn’t want to see her and he knew she sure as hell didn’t want him to be sleeping with him

 

“We don’t have anything to do with each other anymore.” Nayeon mumbled. Sleeping alone in the dark on their huge bed was an unpleasant feeling, but she knew she had to get used to it.

 

With their argument kept playing over again in her head, all the words that she could’ve said filled her mind. Unknowingly, she felt something warm run down the side of her face; tears. Nayeon threw her arm over her eyes and sighed.

 

“Don’t you dare cry.” she told herself but flipped herself over and proceeded to do exactly what she told herself not to do.


hey guys! it's been so long since i've updated and i am so sorry! i've been lazy lately but i hope this one was okay. i missed you guys. anyway this chapter kinda focused on minho, nayeon, and minrin. do you think minrin's reaction was justified or was she overreacting? so i know it’s literally impossible for a galleria to be done in a year, but let’s just pretend that Wang Royal Group has awesome, fast robot construction worker okay? so just a short update and i hope everyone has a happy new year!