Grand Ceremony

An Inheritor's Marriage

You’re very happy today,” Sulli observed. 

Nayeon couldn’t hold back her smile. “The mall is opening up and I’m excited to see Jinki. I really missed him during my time here.”

“So I’m assuming there will be no divorce after the grand opening?”

“Of course, we’re really in love. My marriage with him is honestly the best thing in my life right now. Everything else could be crumbling down, but if I still have him, my life would still be okay.”

Sulli grinned, “I’m very happy for you, Nayeon-sshi. How about your family?”

“I haven’t contacted them at all. The only person I really have been in contact with is my husband but, even then, we only talk so little because he’s getting ready for the opening.”

“Well, it sounds like you’re already ready to go. I’m very flattered that you wanted to meet for the last time. You could’ve just called me; now I feel bad for having you not see your husband sooner.”

“No, no, no it’s okay!” Nayeon said with waving hands, “I wanted to see you in person and thank you for helping me. You know, without therapy, I don’t think I would have healed like I did. I mean you’ve helped me uncover so much. I mean Scapegoat Syndrome? That’s so bizarre and I didn’t even know it; yet it perfectly described my situation. I was my mom and Aeyoung’s scapegoat, for whatever reason, and that made me so hard to open up.”

“Remember,” Sulli included, “that scapegoating is often a way for families to hide problems that they cannot face. Your mom and your sister may have issues with you that you wouldn’t know or understand.”

“But I can only accept what is really my own responsibilities and allow them to take responsibility for what is theirs,” Nayeon finished for her, “And I need to lean on my support systems like my husband and Sangwon. I am worthy of love and I am much stronger than I credit myself.”

Sulli couldn’t help but smile at the words Nayeon was saying to herself.

“I just want to commend you, Nayeon-sshi. Therapy isn’t easy, especially when it’s your first time uncovering so many things in your life; but look at you. You’re engaging in positive self-talk, acknowledging your allies, and you are aware enough to think of strategies to combat the scapegoating.”

Her smile couldn’t be hidden. She was very proud of her growth. Tears welled up in her eyes.

“Ha,” she lightly laughed, “why am I crying? This is a good thing.”

“It’s because you finally realized how strong and resilient you are. You’ve overcome so much in your life and you didn’t even know it.”

“It was because of you, Sulli-sshi.”

The therapist shook her head, “Nope, it was all you, Nayeon-sshi. I was just here to help you listen to your thoughts and feelings.”

Nayeon’s alarm went off. “Oh,” she inhaled and wiped her tears, “I’m sorry, I have to head to the airport right now.”

 

It was a big day. All the retailers and employees made sure their stores were looking pristine and perfect for photos. While his father was extra naggy today, Jinki didn’t let it stop him from being excited to see his wife. Nayeon has been out of the country for two months and he missed her dearly. He was glad she got all the help she needed and felt comfortable enough to come home. No matter how busy the day was, he needed to be the one to pick her up. He had a goofy sign with their faces and the words:

Moon Nayeon, I’m glad you chose to come back!

The plane landed meters in front of him. The pilots parked the aircraft and slowly opened the door then the staircase followed. His gorgeous wife popped out of the door and waved at him.

“Read the sign!” 

She took a second then she laughed loudly, “I love it!”

“Hurry down and let me hug you!”

“Okay!”

“But be careful!”

She walked down the staircase and then ran to him. Jinki threw his poster behind him and caught her as she jumped in his arms. They shared a long kiss.

“I missed you,” Nayeon squealed, “So, so much.”

“You have no idea how long it felt for me,” he told her. 

He put her down and they held hands to get in the limousine.

Nayeon gasped, “A limo? For me?”

“I just wanted to be extra dramatic because I was so excited for you to be back.”

Nayeon smiled then pecked him on the lips. As soon as the driver loaded her suitcases in the vehicle, they drove away from the airport.

“Are you feeling better?”

Nayeon nodded her head, “Sunyoung’s friend was amazing. I feel so much better.”

“I’m glad,” Jinki held her in his arms, “I always want you to feel like this.”

Nayeon wrapped her arms around his waist then rested her head on his chest. 

“Even though New York was amazing, I couldn’t enjoy it without you.”

He kissed her head, “Our home was so empty without you, I was going to get a cardboard cut out of you to somewhat fill the void.”

Nayeon laughed then looked up at her husband, “I miss your stupid humor.”

“It misses you too,” he joked. “How was the weather?”

“Like here but more humid, I'm glad to be back home.”

“Wow the humidity was that bad in the summer?”

“No, I just missed you.”

“Stop before I pull up the partition.”

Nayeon stood up with thrilled eyes, “Shall we quickly do it? It’s been so long,” she said with a saucy grin, “Plus it's hair and makeup all afternoon until the event. We won't get to see each other except when we’re sitting down in front of many people.”

Jinki dramatically gasped, “What did New York do to you?” He paused then inched his face close to hers, “I love it, you're so nasty.”

Nayeon laughed and as he moved in to plant a kiss on her lips. She wrapped her hands on his face and leaned back in the long seats. While moving on top of her, Jinki pressed the button to release the partition.


 

As they arrived at the grand galleria, he draped his arms hugging her waist.

“Don’t touch me,” Minrin hissed through smiling teeth.

“If you don’t play along with me, the reporters will think you’re still messing around with your crush,” Minho hissed back.

The couple walked down the aisle of cameras and reporters. Passing the security guards, they were escorted to the lobby where their parents were sitting.

“Why couldn’t they just cut the ribbon and let the shopping begin?” Minrin complained.

“Everyone loves a good hype. Plus it’s the best season to get everyone pumped,” Minho informed, “Back to school shopping means deals for students and mothers with shopping addictions.”

From a couple of rows ahead, Minrin saw Jinki and Nayeon sit in their seats; smiling like always.

I’d be smiling too if I was with him, she said to herself. With Jinki, everything is pleasant.

“Thinking about your crush again?”

“I hate your voice,” Minrin groaned, “if you would just stop talking, this event would be more bearable.”

He grabbed her hand and interlocked them with his.

“Then you better endure this.”

“Hello everyone,” the speaker on the podium spoke, “I am your MC tonight, Lee Taemin. It looks like everyone is here so I’ll get started. Welcome to the opening of the Royal Midnight Galleria!”

The crowd from inside and out cheered.

“This was an astonishing collaboration between the Wang Royal Group and Moon Corporation. Without the cooperation of HG Constructions, the mall would not have been built so let’s give them a hand of applause.”

While the crowd politely clapped, the owners and their spouses went up to the stage. Hand in hand, Jinki and Nayeon walked up; taking the place of the elder Lee Wang. Moon Kyungjoo and his wife, Jo Chunah walked up and stood next to their daughter then turned to her with a smile.

“Don’t think you can just leave and come back as nothing happened.”

“I don’t know what you mean. Perhaps you mean that conversation with Aeyoung instead?”

“Don’t act smart with me,” Chunah released a light chuckle to make it seem like they were having a pleasant conversation. “After this show is over, we’re handling the launch party mess.”

Nayeon looked away from her mother then at her husband.

“Everything okay?” Jinki asked.

“Nothing to worry about,” Nayeon assured.

Minrin led the walk up to the stage as Minho walked from behind.

“Aren’t you going to wait for me, my love?” They got to the stage and he held her hand, “You should really wait for your husband.”

“I bet you’re loving this, huh?” Minrin looked at him then lightly chuckled, “Doing this much just for a couple of photos. How pathetic.”

“And it will say, ‘Hwang Minrin with her fiance, Choi Minho’,” he teased.

“I’ll do everything to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

“Okay,” Taemin began, “it looks like everyone is here. Let’s begin with Lee Jinki-sshi, the CFO of Wang Royal Group.”

As Jinki got to the mic, there was screaming and shouting. People ran out the doors of the lobby and security guards ran towards the stage. People were talking amongst themselves, not sure what the commotion was all about. Suddenly, an older man appeared with two handguns in his hands.

“Lee Jinki you will die!”

The older gentleman began shooting random fires. 

“I am tired of big companies like you taking away jobs of local people like me,” he shouted. 

Jinki looked closer and realized who it was; Kang Hokwon, the elderly man whom they made a settlement with to gain the land for the mall. 

Hokwon ran towards the stage and shot up in the air, making people around him run away from him. He had one target and one target only: Lee Jinki. He took a shot at the stage but missed his target. It ricocheted and struck Minho in the arm.

“!” 

Minho fell down and clenched his arm. Minrin screamed from the sudden hit.

“Where’s the security? He’s been shot!”

From the crowd, his mother screamed but they were quickly evacuated by security. Half of the security guards were ushering people to leave, half were quickly trying to stop the old man. Nayeon looked at the perpetrator and saw that he was aiming for her husband.

“Jinki,” she urgently shouted, “we need to leave now!”

She watched as her parents and everyone ran away from the scene. Her husband remained still; his flight response was activated while her fight response urged her to get her husband out of the area.

“Jinki!” Nayeon ran to him and shook him. “We have to go now,” she grabbed him by the arm and ran off the stage. Another shot was sent but it just missed the podium; where Jinki was just seconds ago.

“Hurry!”

“I-I don’t know what’s going on,” Jinki screamed. “Let me talk to him, maybe it’ll help!”

Nayeon turned to her husband, “No, we need to  leave now!”

She saw that the older man was shot down and fell to the floor. Her eyes widened, never seeing this before. Jinki looked at his wife’s face then followed her vision.

“We got him,” she heard from a nearby two-way radio.

Nayeon sighed in relief then hugged her husband. 

“I thought he was gonna kill you.”

“How could this have happened?”

Nayeon looked at the man again and saw that he rose his gun and pointed at them. Jinki’s back was facing the gunman directly. Before he could pull the trigger, Nayeon gasped then turned them over so she was the one facing the man. Jinki felt her shake in his arms then looked at her face. Her eyes widened and she jerked again; Nayeon was shot twice.

“No,” Jinki whispered, “No!”

They collapsed on the floor and Jinki looked at the gunman, who was now shot dead by the guards. He was laying in his growing pool of blood while the guards confiscated his weapons. Jinki peered at his wife. Her lips trembled and her eyes were bloodshot. He gently turned her over to see where her wounds were. One shot on her shoulder and the other one was directly under it. 

“Jinki,” she murmured.

“Nayeon,” he cradled her in his arms. “Help,” he shrieked, “My wife’s been shot!” He lifted his hand that was under her and saw how much blood she was losing. Her eyes were flickering and he gently patted her face, “Nayeon-ah, stay with me. Don’t close your eyes.”

“It hurts,” she moaned quietly like it was almost too painful to say anything. She gasped for air as the burning sensation grew outside of her shoulders. It felt like a wildfire began in her shoulders and was spreading to the rest of her chest.

Jinki hoisted her up and carried her in his arms. The security guards guided them outside.

“When will the ambulance get here?” Jinki asked.

“They are quickly on their way,” the guard informed.

“Please, is there a doctor here? My wife has been shot twice; she needs medical attention now!”

“There, an ambulance is coming,” another guard came and informed them. 

The ambulance came and quickly helped Nayeon out of Jinki’s arms and put her on the stretcher. Quickly, they put her in the vehicle. Before Jinki got in, he spotted his parents-in-law.

“Mother, father! Nayeon was shot twice. Come to the emergency room right away!”

Kyungjoo nodded then called for their driver to come immediately.

Jinki got in the ambulance and held his wife’s hand, “Stay with me, Nayeon.”