Consequences

An Inheritor's Marriage

This was completely and utterly unacceptable. Neither of his sons attended the corporal meeting. Of course Wang didn’t postpone it–that would be very unprofessional of him to do. The old man was looking through files on his desk but was just too angry thinking about the events this morning. He slammed his pen on the desk and was about to grab the phone until there was a knock on his door.

 

“What!” he shouted at the person behind it. Chung walked in the room with a thick magazine in his hand. “What is it that you need?” Wang asked irritated by the guard’s interruption. The big man simply put the magazine on the boss’ desk then stepped back. Wang looked at the cover then automatically recognized the faces. “Is that Jinki and Nayeon on the cover?” He put on his glasses then scoffed, “Well would you look at that; it is.”

“I am assuming that both are in London right now, since this certain magazine issue was printed in the UK.”

“How long ago was this taken?” Wang asked as he speculated the magazine.

 

“This issue just came out today, boss. Since it’s their ‘EXCLUSIVE  NEWLY-WED’ issue, I’d say about a day or two ago.”

Wang tore the cover page off and threw the book at a corner. “He dare neglects his duties to go attend some glamorous photo shoot?” He picked up the phone and dialed a number.


Joongki groaned as his phone began to loudly ring at the middle of the night. It was that specific ringtone for that specific caller so he knew he couldn’t ignore it. He sat up from the bed, “Yes, father?”

“Are they with you?”

“They can be anyone, father.” he said with a arrogant tone as he rubbed his eyes. “I have a family now, you’re gonna need to be more specific.” Take away his sleep and you get a snappy and sarcastic Joongki.

“You know exactly who I’m talking about, you idiot!” he shouted over the phone. “I’m talking about Jinki and Nayeon!”

“Yes they are and so what, they are a married couple. The honeymoon phase hits hard, you know.”

“Don’t give me your sass. Where the hell were you at this morning’s meeting. How can both of my sons be so irresponsible?”

Joongki snapped. He scoffed at his father and mumbled some cursing in disbelief. “Father,” he said lowly, “You know that my son’s life is at risk in the hospital. Yet you have the audacity,” he bitterly emphasized, “to have me go to a useless meeting?” He scoffed, “No father, I am not an idiot. I know my priorities and unlike you, work definitely does not come before family.” He held the phone inches away from him, “Goodnight from London,” he said before he hung up.

Hyojoo looked at her husband then rested her head on his chest, “Don’t you feel like you over did it? He is your father, you know.”

Joongki shut his eyes, “I feel no regret saying exactly what I wanted to say.”

Wang looked at his phone and yelled at the dial tone. He slammed his phone down, almost breaking it, then turned to Chung. “Get the car ready, I need to pay someone a visit.”


 

I can’t believe that I’m hearing this. Are you serious?” Kyungjoo bowed his head in shame, “I apologize for my daughter’s behavior.”

Wang sat back in his seat, “Yes, yes, but it is also not entirely your daughter, it was mostly my son. But I am disappointed in the two for escaping their duties.”

Chunah shook her head, “This is so typical of Nayeon. I am so sorry for not raising my daughter well enough. Words cannot explain how upset I am by her behavior.”

The elder man stood up, “I understand but please don’t be too harsh at the children. Like they say, the honeymoon phase hits hard.” he said with a chuckle. “I’ve got a meeting to attend so I’ll be going now. I just came here to inform you parents about your daughter’s whereabouts. Chung,” he called. “Give them the magazine.” The bodyguard placed the magazine on their fine, coffee table then stepped away. “They left to go pursuit a photo shoot in London. What a valid reason, right?”

Kyungjoo felt the blood in his veins spoil with shame. He bowed at the man, “Again I am deeply sorry for my daughter’s rash behavior. She should have known how important Jinki’s job is yet she lured him into hers.” Wang grinned in satisfaction then nodded. The maid escorted them out of the house and Kyungjoo waited until the car was out. He looked at the magazine then threw it at the ground with a loud yell. “How can she do this, how can she be so stupid and reckless!”

Chunah groaned, “How do you think this makes me look as a mother!” she shouted back. “Nayeon is so stupid, I’m not surprised that this happen.” She angrily sat down on the seat, “Eun!” she shouted at the maid.

“Yes, Madam.”

“Call Nayeon right now and tell her that I demand for her to come home. Tell her that both her father and I need to speak to her right away.”

The maid nodded, “Yes, Madam, I shall do that now.”


Jinki groaned as both the living room light and Nayeon’s repetitive shaking brought him awake. “What is it?” he moaned, completely exhausted.

“We need to go home now.”

“What?” he opened an eye, “To Taipei? Why, did you forget something?”

“No, I mean to Seoul. My maid just called saying that my parents need to talk to me, and she told me that they’re not so happy.” She looked down on her lap, “Do you think they’re upset about the photo shoot?”

Jinki lightly laughed then turned to his side, “That’s ridiculous, why would your parents be angry?” Right after, his cell phone rang with a different ringtone that Nayeon didn’t recognize. Jinki groaned then sat up to retrieve his phone, “It’s him.”

“Who–”

“Yes, father.” His tired, closed eyes quickly opened up and became alerted. He shook his head followed by a deep, “Yes, father. I will right away.” He hung up then looked at his wife, “Pack your things, we have to go now.”

That little sentence made her heart jump in fear. She nodded her head and all the lights in the suite.



He slapped his son then threw the magazine at his face. Jinki rolled his tongue around the inside of the slapped cheek, trying to ease out the pain. A slap to the face was definitely a solution to the jetlag.

“You dare make money for another company?” he lowly growled, preparing his son for the wrath. “Are you not ashamed? How dare you go against my words! What in the right mind were you doing even thinking about going to London!”

“Father,” Jinki said clearly, “Nayeon and I haven’t even had a proper honeymoon. Taipei offered no excitement and–”

“Taipei was your honeymoon!”

“You said it yourself that Taipei was for business reasons only!” Jinki refuted.

Wang took a deep breath, feeling his blood pressure go up. “A honeymoon is not necessary when you need to keep up with work.” He looked at his son, “How can you and your brother both do this to me. Do you know how pathetic I looked being at that meeting without neither of my sons there?”

Jinki scoffed, “It’s always about that isn’t it? Reputation and status? Your newborn grandson is in a critical condition in the hospital and instead of having Joongki remain with his wife and child, you force him to go to a stupid, little meeting here in both Taipei and Seoul! Are you heartless, father?” he shouted in the unfair situation that his brother was in.

“In this world it is all about surviving. And without money, one cannot survive. The child has got his mother with him so it is perfectly fine for the father to do his job and provide for the family.” Before Jinki could retort, he held his hand up, “I’ve had enough of your lame explanations. Obviously I can’t control you at a distance. Just come back to Korea and handle business here. As for Taipei, I’ll assign someone else. You are useless, Jinki. How are you ever going to take over the company with this unprofessionalism?”

Jinki glared at his father and bit back all the angry words that he wanted to spit out.

The old man proceeded with his work, “There is an Investor’s Ball coming up in a few days. I want you and Nayeon to be there. It is an order that you two show up. Chung!” he called, “ my ungrateful son out of my goddamn office.”

That same sentence is one that Jinki will always remember–it was the same that was said to him nine years ago.

Wang looked at his son, “I can’t even look at his face right now.”

Chung grabbed Jinki by the arm but he shrugged the man off of him and walked out himself.

 

Once she got home, the house was already in complete chaos. It was nearly midnight yet the house was still loud with arguments. Nayeon tiredly grinned at the maids and assured them that she didn’t need any assistance with her things in the car. She walked towards the commotion of her parents arguing.

“I hate your daughter!”

Nayeon’s heart skipped a beat. She halted.

“How do you think I feel! I gave birth to her, goddamn it!” her mother shouted back.

Nayeon felt her heart and all the organs surrounding it begin to deteriorate and collapse. Confusion and sorrow filled her soul and it was only hurting more.

Her mother dramatically sobbed, “How did I know she was going to put such shame on us! I can’t even imagine what the Lee’s and everyone are thinking about us right now.”

“You really need to control that daughter of yours, Chunah, do you hear me! I better not hear any more news of this in the future. If I do, not only will she suffer but so will you.” he walked away from his wife and towards the hallway of the meeting room. He saw Nayeon standing by the door with a pensive look on her face.

“Dad, I–”

Her words were swallowed by a slap. A hard, passionate, stingy slap right across her cheek. Tears quickly filled her eyes and ran down to her cheek, dipping off by the tears. She held her the wounded side of her face and looked down, not being able to look at her father. Never in her life has her father laid his hands on her, except at this point.

“You have no right to call me that. You lost your privilege, you stupid .” he cursed. He walked past his daughter.

Nayeon waited until his footsteps were far enough then she began to lightly sob. Her shoulders gently shook as both of her hands covered her face. Knowing that her mother was still in the other room, she kept her voice quiet and her cries lower. Upon hearing the young girl’s muffling cries, Chunah swung the door open then glowered at her daughter. Nayeon looked up at her mother and wiped her tears away.

“You embarrassing piece of trash, how could you be so mindless and stupid?” Her eyes widened in rage, “London? You let yourselves go to London? Are you crazy? Do you have any idea how embarrassing and pathetic you made me and your father look like in front of Lee Wang?” She scoffed at her daughter, “I bet you think Jinki loves you now, huh?”

The question definitely caught her off guard.

“Is he sweet to you?”

Yes, she mental answered, he is the best man I can ever imagine.

“Is he a gentleman?”

Absolutely.

Her mother smirked devilishly, “Let me tell you something sweetheart: it’s not real. He doesn’t love you. He loves what this family is going to do to his. Every little glance he gives, every loving word he says, he’s only saying it because his father ordered him to. Think about that before you fall into his little love trap, you useless .” She pushed Nayeon with her shoulders and left her wounded with a sore cheek and broken heart.

Everything her mother just said to her was false. Jinki was a geniuine man with values, unlike the people that surrounded her. Nayeon stood there, trying to recollect herself, then left the house. She couldn’t stand being there any longer. The longer she stayed, the more pain she felt.

“Nayeon-ah!” a voice called.

She looked back and saw the apologetic look on her loyal brother’s face and she began to cry. She got in her car and drove off, away from the horrid house of emotional torture. Without a clue where she would go, she went where she knew he’d be at.


Jinki sighed and slumped his head between his shoulders as he lend against his car. His sleep was taken away from him and now that he had the time to, he couldn’t. He could go inside the hotel and get some sleep, but there was too much in his head for him to sleep at the moment.

Hands slipped around his waist and a heartfelt crying was heard. “Let’s go back to Taipei.” Jinki turned around and looked at the tearful Nayeon. His heart dropped seeing his woman like this. “Please let’s go back. I’ll pay for the flights, anything, please let’s just go back.” She cried harder and Jinki’s heart caved in in sympathy.

“Nayeon, what’s wrong?” he asked, voice softer than ever.

“I–Please,” she hugged him and gripped the back of his shirt, “Let’s go back to Taipei, I’m begging you. I don’t want to stay in Seoul.”

Jinki shut his eyes and hugged her firmly, “I’m sorry but I can’t do that. We can’t go back to Taipei.”

Her sobs lowered down and she pulled away, “Why not?” she asked sounding devastated, “Why can’t we go? We live in Taipei, remember?”

Jinki shook his head, “Father wants us to stay in Seoul now. He was quite upset about our trip to London so he wants us to remain here so he can supervise us.” Nayeon cried behind her hand and walked away from him, feeling like everything was useless to fight against. “Hey,” Jinki called then pulled her back, “Tell me, what’s wrong?” She looked at him but shook her head. “Please Nayeon I’m your husband. You need to tell me these things. Your pain is also mine.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” she said trying to stabilize her voice. “The more I think about it, the more heartbroken and confused I get.” She looked at Jinki, “This is unfair, Jinki. Why must we live like this? I want to go back to Taipei where there was nothing but beauty and no pain.”

He enveloped her into a hug, “Sh, it’s okay.” he said trying to console her. “It can be just us two.” He pat her on the head as her sobs trailed. “It’s okay, you have me. You can always rely on me. Don’t cry, we can make it through together.”


She refused to check in with him, but after briefly reasoning with her, the couple checked in the hotel. The Glory Hotel in Seoul was much more beautiful than Taipei’s, but Nayeon would prefer the latter. She laid in the bed with Jinki, not protesting his comfort.

“Do you think we would be able to go back?” she softly asked, feeling the sleep starting to overcome her.

“Not any time soon but we yes we will be able to go back,” he assured as he brushed his hand across her hair.

Nayeon shut her eyes then sighed, “That was our home, Jinki. Taipei was our home. We didn’t get to stay for long, but it was our home.”

He nodded, “I know,” he whispered, “But we can make a new home here, honey.”

“Yeah, but it wouldn’t be the same.” She opened her eyes then looked at him. “Thank you for being so good to me, Lee Jinki.” She stretched out her body so they were closer. “Thank you for being my husband.”

He kissed her on the forehead, “It is my pleasure, Moon Nayeon.” Jinki smiled then wrapped her arms around her body. She turned her back to him and rested her head on his arm and fell asleep.

“Good night, my precious wife.”


Wow! So much happened in this chapter! Wang is an annoying mofo and the Moons are evil. Don't you think they overreacted to the situation? Idk but from personal experience with an Asian mother with traditional values, if none of your kid shows up to an "important" event, it looks really bad like they don't care. Anyway more mysteries about Nayeon's family. WTF are they talking about? Hm, we'll find out in later chapters. It's so sad to see that Nayeon is once again the emotional target in her family but she can't escape by going to Taipei. And, like the knight in shining armor brother that he his, we saw again that Sangwon is truly there for his little sister but this time she didn't accept it. Next chapter we'll get to see Minho, Minrin, and other characters so  enjoy. Comments are loved~