A Better Life

An Inheritor's Marriage

She rushed to the door to greet her guest, fixing furniture and picture frames as she went by. Nayeon fixed her attire before opening the door.

“Nayeon!”

She jumped from the loud greeting then giggled as they enveloped her in a group hug.

“I missed you so much,” Wendy whined. She held up two large bags of presents, “One is a house warming gift, the other is for the baby.” She gently rubbed Nayeon’s pregnant belly, “Hi, baby!”

“Aish, it was like he jumped on you as soon as you healed from getting shot,” Kibum teased.

Taegi gasped, “How are you, are you okay now? Are you still in pain?”

Nayeon chuckled moved aside, “Come inside then we can talk.”

As they walked in, the group dropped their jaw in amazement.

“High ceiling,” Taegi swooned.

“Marble floors,” Kibum drooled.

“Luxurious designs,” Wendy practically screamed.

Taegi looked at her best friend, “You really are living the life of royalty.”

Nayeon rolled her eyes, “I’ll have Jinki give you guys a tour later, I want to catch up.”

She brought them to the gathering room and everyone took a seat. She went to the kitchen and brought snacks and drinks for her friends.

“How’s life in Taipei?” Wendy asked.

Nayeon sat to join the group. She let out an annoyed groan, “I’m trying to learn Mandarin but then I find out that the Mandarin that they speak here is completely different from the Mandarin I was learning!” She popped a cracker in , “So now I’m giving language learning a pause.” She reached for another cracker and topped it with artichoke dip.

Taegi looked at everyone as if making a consensus. Wendy shook her head and blinked hard, indicating not to go there. Kibum looked away and popped a stack of cheese and crackers in his mouth.

“So,” Taegi began, “have you talked to anyone?”

Without even being specific, Nayeon knew what Taegi meant. 

“I think they understand how I feel. My mom, I mean, Chunah left me angry voicemails but I’ve since blocked her so it’s been peaceful lately. The day I woke up, I yelled at her saying I didn’t want to be contacted by anything of them. I think they understand how I feel; then again, I don’t care what they’re up to.”

“They’re probably going bankrupt,” Wendy informed with a hissing voice. “Serves them right. XX is bankrupt and Aeyoung is doing a pathetic job of trying to rebuild her ty image.”

Kibum let out a wicked laugh, “It’s so funny, Nayeon. You should check the news outlets sometimes. She’s doing charity events for orphans and animal shelters. She’s even doing youth work and raising money for organizations. It’s so funny because everyone knows her plan and no one believes it’s genuine.”

Taegi laughed and slapped her knee. “I saw somewhere she was picking up litter from the highway like a convict!”

The three friends burst into laughter and Nayeon couldn’t help but laugh with them. Not at her sister’s misfortune but because she got to laugh with her friends again.

“I missed you stupid heads,” she said through laughter.

“Oh,” Kibum interjected, “What about that Choi family? Have they reached out to you?”

Nayeon’s lips thinned. “A little.”

“So I guess you’re my sister?”

Nayeon switched the phone to her other ear. “It sounds so weird, doesn’t it?”

“It does,” he paused over the receiver. “Minrin left me,” he confessed.

“Oh,” Nayeon didn’t know what to say. She always sensed there was some tension between them, but she never knew anything personal. “I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s okay. I don’t think I did a really good job of loving her.”

“Yeah, that’s a huge component of marriage to fulfill.”

“I’m not too great at that,” he told her.

Nayeon hummed, “It sounds like we both lacked love growing up, right, Minho-sshi?”

“I can’t deny that at all.” He didn’t know what to say. He sincerely did lack love all of his life.

“Look,” Nayeon began, “I appreciate you coming to me first about this. As awkward as it is, I don’t want it to seem like we suddenly have to be family and be close. We’re grown now. Our parents made mistakes and it had nothing to do with us. On that note, I’d like to just remain the same. Please don’t think of me as family. Let’s just continue to be friends.”

“That is, uh, that sounds like a good plan. Thank you for saying that because,” he broke out into laughter, “you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that.”

“So you and Minho are cool,” Wendy clarified.

“Yes. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“Oh!” Kibum exclaimed, “How could I forget?” He smacked his head, “How’s the baby?

Nayeon smiled then looked down on her belly, “He’s doing fine, right, my love?”

“Oh my gosh!” Wendy exclaimed in English, “It’s a boy?”

“No,” Nayeon chuckled, “I want a boy but Jinki wants a girl. It feels wrong to call my child an ‘it’ so I settled with a boy until we find out.”

“Awe,” they cooed.

“How far along are you?”

“Just a little over 12 weeks.”

“Wait…” Taegi looked around, “where is the father of your baby?”

“You know what,” Kibum joined in, “I didn’t even realize he wasn’t here until you mentioned it.”

“Yeah, where’s Jinki?”

Nayeon cheekily grinned. 


 

Hey,” Joongki patted his brother on the back, “are you sure you can even help with grilling?”

Jinki huffed and panted behind the potted plant. Hyojoo offered Jinki a bottle of water and he took it. He stood up from his hunched over position then thanked her. 

“I’m fine,” he reassured then took a large gulp of water.

“Your pregnant daddy symptoms are just getting worse huh?” Hyojoo chuckled, “Hon, you were never like this, right?”

Joongki scoffed, “Of course I wasn’t! I don’t know anybody who has pregnancy symptoms for their wives.”

“It’s perfectly normal!” Jinki exclaimed as he defended himself. He sat down on the lounge chair, “Plus, I’d rather be the one to suffer all this nausea and morning sickness. Nayeon already has to be the one to carry the baby and soon give birth. If I could take more off of her load, I would gladly.”

“Such a loving and caring husband,” Hyojoo complimented as she squeezed her brother-in-law’s shoulder.

“Let’s see how long it will continue once the baby gets here.”

Hyojoo smacked her husband for his rude remark. “Don’t jinx him like that.”

“Is the food ready yet?” Nayeon called as she brought everyone to the scenic backyard.

“No. It could have been sooner but the pregnant man here was no help,” Joongki teased.

“Hey,” Nayeon sat next to her husband and wrapped her arms over him, “leave him alone, he’s going through a lot.”

Jinki smiled sweetly from his wife defending him. Then he gagged. A certain aroma entered his olfactory system.

“What is that new smell?”

Nayeon thought about it then sniffed a part of her shirt. “I mean I made some Thai pepper dipping sauce but--”

Jinki quickly stood up and ran to the bushes to throw up.

“I’m sorry!”

“It’s okay, I love you,” he reassured quickly. 

Nayeon went to go help her husband while everyone teased and laughed from afar. He stood up and threw his head back with his eyes closed.

“I’m so tired. I’m not even throwing up anything anymore I’m just heaving.”

Nayeon wiped his lips with the napkin. “I know, baby.”

He held her hand then looked at her, “But I don’t mind.”

“I know that,” Nayeon beamed, “you always remind me.”

Sluggishly, he hugged her and rest his head on top of hers. “Look at our friends. They’re all here for you.”

“They’re here for us,” Nayeon gently reminded. “Do you want to know something?” Jinki hummed in response, too exhausted for words. “Taegi said this was the happiest she’s ever seen me.”

He tilted his head and looked at his wife. “It’s because of your pregnancy glow.”

Nayeon grinned, “Hey if we’re being honest here I think you’re the one glowing more than me.” She looked up into his eyes, “You know what I said to her?”

“What did you say to her?”

“I told her it was because of you.”

“Me?” Jinki chuckled, “Hardly. You know what it was?”

“What?”

“Remember the sunglasses you wore on the elevator when we first met?”

Nayeon leaned away from him with an amused smile. “What? How do you even remember that?”

“Those were some seriously cool sunglasses. As soon as I saw it I thought, ‘Damn I really need to get close to her so I can steal them without her knowing.’”

She nodded, “No wonder I haven’t seen them in a while,” she said following along his joke.

“I told you. See I’m so sneaky. You sure I’m the reason why you’re so happy?”

“Well, I have a confession to make too,” she said with raised brows.

Jinki gasped, “Oh no, what horrors did you commit?”

“I’m only staying with you so I can inherit this house from you.” Nayeon dramatically put her hand over her chest and looked at her surrounding. “So, so beautiful.”

Jinki shook his head. “Foolish of you think I own this house when it’s just a rental to show off to your friends!”

Nayeon dropped her jaw, continued to act with him. “I knew it! You are a scam artist aren’t you?”

“And the baby inside of you will be one just like me.”

“Or will it? Is it even your child?”

Both of them gasped at the same time then burst out into laughter from their own stupidity.

“Hey!” Kibum shouted at the couple, “Are you guys gonna make another baby or what? Come eat before I eat it all myself and pack some for the flight!”

“Okay, we’re coming!” Nayeon held her husband’s hand and looked at him. “You still doing it for the sunglasses?”

Jinki stopped, “I’m doing it because I love you. You?”

Nayeon shook her head, “Still doing it for this house,” she teased.

Jinki’s jaw dropped and Nayeon giggled. She jogged away from him and he ran to envelop her in a hug.

“This new life of mine,” Nayeon took a second to catch her breath, “I love it as I love you.” She put her hand over her tummy and Jinki did the same. “Even though we both lacked a loving and warm environment to call home, I can’t wait for us to show our child the love we never received.”

“Moon Nayeon,” Taegi shouted this time; breaking yet another sentimental moment. “I will literally eat all of your tofu and guacamole if you don’t waddle your pregnant over here right now!”

“Sorry!” Jinki apologized this time, “We’re coming!” Jinki held Nayeon’s hand and lightly swung it back and forth. “No matter how tired we get,” he began, “no technology for the baby.”

“I agree.”

“And we’re getting a bubble machine for the baby.”

“Is that for you or our child?”

“It’s bonding between me and my baby, what kind of questions even is that?”

That night they enjoyed the presence of friends, families, and loved ones. Most importantly, they enjoyed the presence of each other. Throughout the night, Nayeon couldn’t help take in the sights in front of her.

“We’re gonna be okay,” she whispered to her tummy. “We got a lot of love in this house; but most importantly, we have a lot of love for you, my darling.” She turned to her friends, “Wendy,” she called. 

“Yes!”

“Is Kahi still making you in charge of my social media?”

“Yes ma’am!”

“Let’s take a group photo and post it on Instagram,” Nayeon suggested. 

Everyone got in position then Wendy did the countdown. 

“1!”

Nayeon looked at Jinki and he did the same. She looked at her husband; his eyes, his lips, his nose; and he did the same. 

“2!”

She couldn’t believe that he was hers. 

“3!”

Jinki held her hand and looked at the ring that was on it. He brought it to his lips and kissed it.

“Say cheese!” Wendy took the photo. Everyone gathered around to look at it, making sure they didn’t look weird. 

“What should the caption be?” Wendy asked with the phone in her hand. 

Nayeon gestured with her hand out to receive the phone, “I’ll take it from here.”

nymoon Thank you for loving me.

Jinki looked at the update and kissed his wife. “I’ll always choose to love you,” he told her.