Rumors

An Inheritor's Marriage

hey loves! we reached 1,000 subscribers! thank you all so much. please read the bottom comment after this chapter, okay? i love you all 


For a week now, Jinki would wake up to fresh Magnolias in the morning. Every day before his eyes would open, the small bouquet of three Magnolias would sit prettily in a glass vase for him with a handwritten note from Nayeon.

There is always life after death, was the first note he received the day after his mother had passed.

Today, he woke up earlier and watched Nayeon go to the garden and clip the flowers for him. It was five o’clock in the morning. The sun was barely rising but his wife was out in the back garden preparing his daily batch. Jinki watched as she went up to them and apologize.

“This is for my husband,” she explained to the tree, “he’s very sad and you all are the only thing that will help mend his broken heart.”

Jinki smiled and walked downstairs. He put on his sandals and looked at her through the sliding door. On the coffee table was today’s note already written.

Let today be the day we honor her life.

Jinki sadly smiled, knowing what today was. A week of preparation led to this day, but he wasn’t sure if he was ready yet.

“It’s not that I don’t like you,” he heard her say, “it’s just your beauty will bring him great joy.”

Hearing her speak so kindly to the flowers made his smile grow. Quietly exiting the sliding doors, Jinki walked up to Nayeon and put his arms around her in a back hug.

Nayeon jumped from the sudden hug. She looked to her side and saw that it was him. “You’re awake; good morning.”

“Thank you.”

She smiled, appreciating his gratitude.

“But you’re wrong about one thing?”

“Oh really?” Nayeon put the basket down, “And what would that be?”

He looked up and sighed, “Well you told the flowers that they were the only things that will make me better.” Jinki grinned and kissed her on the cheek, “It’s you that makes me happy.”

She hugged him, “I'm glad you're feeling better.” Nayeon turned her head and looked at the beautiful tree. “Maybe, if you're okay with it, I can stop clipping them.”

Jinki’s eyebrows furrowed, objecting her idea. He enjoyed his morning gifts from her.

She looked at him and lightly chuckled, “It's just, eomoni planted these and I think we should keep as many of them alive in memory of her.”

Jinki pulled her back in the hug. “I guess, but,” he looked at her, “We're getting another magnolia tree. I like your morning sentiments.”

They stayed in that moment for a minute. Letting the cool morning breeze lightly blow past their bodies and the smell of fresh morning dew drenched the crisp winter air.

Nayeon pat his chest and rose her head up at him, “Let's get suited up for the funeral.”

Jinki nodded and held her hand as they walked back into the house.



As they pulled up to the front, Jinki could see that already reporters, journalists, and fans of Nayeon were swarming the entrance of the funeral home. From the curb to the long pathway to the entrance doors, there were tens of people just waiting for their arrival. With cameras in their hands, ready to snap their pictures, Jinki knew they were up to no good. He began to grow upset, seeing as this was a private family matter. It was extremely disrespectful and insulting of them to be here — the audacity! Nayeon held his hand before the chauffeur opened their door.

Immediately, camera flashes and questions from the paparazzis began to go off. Two guards helped them pave way for the couple to push past the crowd.

“How are you two doing after the scandal?”

“Was this issue resolved?”

“Moon Nayeon, how did the scandal affect you?”

“Lee Jinki, was that woman in fact a mistress of yours?”

They were doing a good job of ignoring the issues. The crowd wasn't aggressively resistant to the guards; perhaps it was possible to get through. Until:

“Are the rumors of the divorce true?”

Instantaneously, the crowd got more shaken up as this single question stirred such a controversy. The journalist shuffled and pushed closer, asking for more information on the newly revealed divorce.

The one that was strictly discussed only between her and her husband.

Or so she thought.

It was beginning to get harder to push past. Although she was specifically following the path of the front security guard, she was pulled back by some fans; demanding for a photo, signature, anything. Jinki saw as his wife was beginning to get mauled by her fans, creating a separation from the border.

“Nayeon unnie I love you! You look so beautiful in your funeral attire, please look at me!”

“Hello, it's nice to see you but today is not a good occasion.” She politely told the fan.

“I've been your fan since you modeled for your family’s hotel! Can I get a photo?”

Nayeon forced a smile, “Of course you can.” Taking the fan’s phone, she quickly snapped a few pictures with him before handing it back.

“Can I have your signature?”

She took the marker from her fan and quickly signed his shirt.

“Give me your kakao!”

“I'm sorry I can't do that,” she nervously laughed.

The separation between her and her husband was growing larger. Phones were being shoved at her face as she tried to make her way to the front. She saw as more security guards were called to help clear the space, but it wasn't enough. There were too many people. Fans were linked at arms to barricade the perimeter. Looking over her shoulder, Jinki and Nayeon made eye contact but it was too loud for one to hear the other. Her guard pushed her so she could walk up the steps.

“But my husband —”

“We’re handling the situation immediately.” The guard told her.

“Nayeon!” He reached his arms over but reporters blinded him with their flashing cameras. Retracting his hand back, he covered his eyes.

“Lee Jinki-sshi, are the rumors true? Will there be a divorce?”

“What will be the result of Wang Royal Group after this divorce?”

“How will you handled the decrease in stock prices after the divorce?”

He ignored the questions. Lee Jinki was determined to let his mother rest. Guards began to break through the two large crowds. Grabbing Jinki firmly, they briskly helped him reach his wife at the front. Now that there was a solid pathway, Jinki walked up to Nayeon. She held his hand but before he pulled her to go inside the funeral home, Nayeon looked at him.

“I have something I need to say to them.”

“No Nayeon, we just need to get inside there now.”

“No Jinki,” she argued, “if we won't tell them now, it will only get worse the next two days.”

Jinki sighed and let his wife do as she pleased.

“Before security escorts you out of the area, I would like to clarify some things.” she told them.

The flashes began to go off and the crowd became silent.

“In regards to the issues from three weeks ago, yes it has been solved. The entire situation was a complete misunderstanding and a twisted fabrication solely based on photos without any solid evidence. The cheating allegations are false and to bring a stop to further rumors, my husband Lee Jinki and I will not be filing a divorce any time soon. We are happily married and don't feel that these actions need to be taken, regardless of what the public assumes.”

She looked at her husband, seeing as they were agreeing, before continuing.

“Now if you would respect the lost of my mother-in-law, I ask you all to please leave the area. This is a ceremony for friends, family, and loved ones. Thank you.”

Taking the hands of her husband, they walked past the doors and ignored the demand for further questions. Nayeon looked at Jinki, “I'm sorry for what happened out there.” She shook her head and clicked her tongue, “That issue is over us now. How dare they ask about such an old problem.” Nayeon spat.

“It's not your fault.” he told her. “People are desperate for answers and will get them no matter where it is.”

“Now that that's over, we can hopefully enjoy the ceremony in peace.”

They made their way to the main funeral area. It was lovely, just like how he knew his mother would have wanted it. There were many large flower stands given from his father’s business partners, a few from forgotten family members from the Lee side that Jinki hadn’t seen since he was young. Her altar had a beautiful picture of her smiling with pure white Magnolias surrounding her. All servants from all three of their households came to mournfully help their Madam for the last time. Joongki and Hyojoo stood at the front of the doors to greet the attendees as they entered. Wearing the black funeral outfit, they hung their heads low, grieving the loss of their dear mother.

They greeted the couple with a bow. Nayeon hugged Hyojoo and gave Joongki a kiss on the cheek. As if waiting for her arrival, Hyojoo pat her husband on the shoulder.

“Nayeon and I will be by mother.”

Joongki nodded, “We’ll be here.” He looked back at his brother, “How was it over there?”

Jinki stood next to him and shook his head. “Chaotic. There should have been more security guards since the opening of the doors.” Jinki changed the subject, “Did the Devil show up yet?”

“No, I called his secretary and he wasn’t there either so maybe he’s getting ready.”

“Well he better show up.” Jinki scornfully spat. “I’m not going to be the one talking to his people.”

 

 

Turning down the block, Aeyoung became excited by the many paparazzi that will be there.

Chanyeon, look!” Aeyoung gasped from the numerous people, “They knew I would be there so they came.”

“Aeyoung, stop,” Chanyeon said flatly as she was using her phone idly. She sighed and tucked her phone in her purse, “Why didn’t you just take your own car?”

“Because I miss you, sister.” Aeyoung cooed. She jumped in her seat, “Oh, I am so glad I look pretty today.” She ruffled the ends of her hair, “They will be able to take nice photos of me to publish.”

“Again, today isn’t about you.” The elder saw as they were reaching closer to the front of the funeral. “You think mom and dad are already here?”

“With the way mom gets ready? Never.” Aeyoung gasped, “Hey,” she nudged Chanyeon.

“What now?” the older replied, agitated by the younger’s presence.

“Do you think Nayeon got a portion of the will. I mean she is part of the family now.”

“I don’t know and I don’t care, Aeyoung.”

The chauffeur parked the car at the curb and opened the door for the sisters. Aeyoung stepped out with a smile on her face. Once she realized it was empty with little to no paparazzi, she took off her sunglasses and threw it in her bag. She should have noticed how they were walking them away from the funeral home rather than to. There was evidence of a presence. Papers and flyers littered the ground as the janitorial crew was quickly trying to clean up the mess.

“Where the hell are they?” she scorned.

Chanyeon pushed past her younger sister, “Not here, obviously.”

“What the hell? I just saw them though!”

“Did it cross your mind that they were only here for the arrival of Nayeon and Jinki?”

The two sisters looked behind them and saw Sangwon carrying a flower stand.

“Mom and dad said they will be here shortly and for us to be in their place,” he told his sisters. “In the meantime, Aeyoung,” he directed, immediately getting her attention, “you need to remove any source of negativity. This is a ceremony of grief. Your nasty attitude isn’t needed here.”

Aeyoung rolled her eyes, “Always yelling at me.” she mumbled under her breath.

“I’m not yelling, I’m scolding. There’s a difference.” As the eldest, he walked in front of his siblings, “When we go inside I better not see you harassing Nayeon. Matter of fact, don’t talk; at all.”

“Sangwon!” she whined in protest.

“If I hear your voice I will not hesitate to haul you out of there like a kid in front of every single person here.”

She knew the funeral was filled with business people and people of high status. Knowing Aeyoung, Sangwon knew she wouldn’t allow herself to be humiliated in front of them. She was technically a business person herself. To lose credibility would mean jeopardizing her fortune and fame.

Aeyoung walked past her brother, “I hate you.” she mumbled under her breath.

She opened the door to the corridors for herself and walked down the hall. Immediately after the short walk, she was greeted by the grieving family. All four of them bowed to greet her and her siblings. Aeyoung observed each of them carefully with something to say about all of them.

Whats-his-name is looking good as always.

Goodness gracious she ages horribly.

Definitely, should’ve been mine.

She stopped and looked at Nayeon. Aeyoung grinned as if internally laughing at an inside joke.

“Nayeon-ah,” she called. The younger looked at her. “Did you not contour today? Your face is looking round. Actually,” Aeyoung looked at her sister from head to toe with a grimace on her face, “you just look round in general.” She lightly chuckled, “You’d think you’d get thinner from all the mourning but it seems like you’re an eater, huh?”

Chanyeon pushed her sister aside to disrupt the rude behavior.

“We’re so sorry for your loss,” she said.

Joongki made no effort to smile fully, “Thank you. There are food and refreshments inside. We appreciate you all for coming.”

As they walked away, a couple came up next.

“I’m sorry for your loss.” Kibim apologized to Jinki as he shook his hand.

Jinki nodded, “Thank you.”

“If it makes you feel any better,” Taegi began, “both of my parents are dead.” she lightly chuckled.

Kibum looked at her with wide eyes. Taegi was an idiot with grieving and how to react to it. Although he wasn't aware of her parental status, her comment was inappropriate.

“Wait, your parents are departed?” Nayeon asked, surprised by the new information. “How come you never told us?”

She shrugged, “They died when I was much younger.”

“So, uh, at least you have one of them right?” Taegi finished with a nervous laugh, trying awfully hard to lighten up the situation.

Jinki grinned, appreciating her efforts. “Thank you, I appreciate your condolences. Our mother lived a happy life.” He told her, “I’m just glad she left peacefully.”

As Joongki navigated them further down.

Hours passed and the revenue was already filled with guests. Jinki looked around impatiently.

“Still trying to look for him?” Nayeon asked, knowing exactly who he was looking for. She knew he heard her regardless of his lack of response. “He’s a very busy person, Jinki. Eventually, he’ll be here, don’t worry.”

“You doubt my abilities.” Wang approached his son and his young bride.

“You’re late.” Jinki passively stated, “Everyone is already here.”

“Then I’m right on time,” Wang argued back.

He quickly placed himself in the crowd and maneuvered his way to the podium, greeting guests as he went. He looked at the picture of his wife and swallowed a breath. Lee Wang was a smart man, which meant he was also a realistic man. He knew all these people weren’t there to mourn for the loss of his wife. No, Lee Wang is not naive. Hell, they never even seen her before her passing. They were there for one thing and one thing only: reputation. Reputation in society, in business, in class. Although bitter, Lee Wang could respect it.

His sons and their wives stood beside him as he stepped up to say a few words.

“My heart is full seeing all of you here today with my family and I as we mourn over the loss of my beautiful wife, Jung Ahn-ji. I don’t want to take too much of your time so I’ll make this short.”

He looked at her altar and swallowed any signs of sorrow on his stern face.

“I remember when my wife would talk to me about these things. ‘For when my time comes,’ she would tell me. During the time I didn’t understand why one would casually talk about death, but now I understand. She was in pain and I didn’t know.”

Wang scanned the room, projecting to all the souls there.

“I look at this room and I am filled with so much joy.” Wang look beside him, “Take a look,” he instructed his family, “these are all the people who helped us during this tough time. We will always remember their generosity. In return, we will also uplift you in times of need. Thank you.”

As everyone clapped, Wang got off the stage. Jinki was furious. Was he already running away from the event?

“Father,” Jinki called, quickening his pace.

“Jinki-ah,” Nayeon followed, “Don’t get too close. Please don’t be rash.”

Jinki abruptly stopped then turned to his wife. “Mom just died. We are at the funeral of his own wife and he wants to run off? That’s not right, Nayeon!”

“Jinki, please lower your voice. People might hear.”

“So what!” he exclaimed, “Mom deserves more than this. She deserves his love and attention even after death!” Jinki shouted, voice cracking and eyes b with tears.

Nayeon knew he was hurt by all this. His mother’s death and especially by his father’s negligence to the event. She pulled him in for a hug.

“I know you’re hurting from all this, Jinki.” She looked up at him, “But pouring all this anger at your father isn’t going to do justice.”

“But I can try.” He removed himself from her grasp and chased after his father.

“Jinki, wait!”

“What’s all this shouting going on?” Joongki asked. “Good thing I had Hyojoo distract people with the baby.”

“Jinki is upset at father and is going to do something irrational.”

Joongki furrowed his eyebrows and shook his head. Along with Nayeon, they ran off to find the two before a storm could start.

Before he could even enter the vehicle, the door was shut by a bystander. A bystander he predicted would come and obstruct him.

“What is it Jinki?” Wang said in a tired tone. He was getting too old for his son’s behavior.

“So I’m guessing you just don’t care about mom, is that it?”

“Jinki, stop!” Joongki shouted from afar.

“No,” Wang rejected, “let him finish. He seems to have a lot to say, let him finish.”

Taking this as his cue to continue, Jinki smirked. “All day. This entire time that we’ve been here — the entire service — you weren’t here to contribute anything to mom.”

“I’ve done my part, I don’t need to come to you to validate anything.”

“Then at least validate to everyone and your dead wife that you actually love her!”

In a swift motion, Wang’s hand smacked across Jinki’s face. Nayeon gasped and covered from the sudden impact. Jinki remained in the position.

“See, this exact moment right here.” Wang noted with a wagging finger, “This is the perfect example of you running on your emotions.” Wang looked at Joongki, “This is the end of all of this nonsense, you hear me?”

Jinki straightened his posture, looking away from his father.

“We are businessmen!” Wang shouted, “We do not have any time to spare over something as pathetic as emotions like sadness or pent-up anger and resentment.” He stepped up to Jinki, “So take all your teenage angst and get it the hell out of my presence.”

Wang looked at the chauffeur to open the door then got in the car.


hey hello! i just want to say thanks to everyone for being so patient! i cannot believe this story got featured! i am so thankful for all my readers and supporters. i really want to wrap this story up so the timeline of this story will be rather quick but exciting! thanks for all the love and support <3
tumblr_lqgh7g3jFT1qd1814.gif