Family Bonds

An Inheritor's Marriage

Whenever he was at a different location, Jinki always seem to have woken up earlier than his alarm. Considering he was sleeping in the living room, where the Taipei sunrise shined the brightest, it was inevitable. Jinki didn't mind. The morning sun was a much better wake up call than a blaring cellphone. It was 6:15 and his meeting was at 7 so he had plenty of time to get ready. He changed out of his sleepwear and slipped on his into his business pants and a wifebeater.

 

Making sure he wasn't making any heavy footsteps, Jinki walked to the master bedroom—where Nayeon was sleeping. Although her legs were in a straight sleeping position, her arms were folded under her head and the blanket was messily draped around her body. On the edge of the bed, he could see articles of her clothing barely clinging on. Based on what he saw, she was wearing an undershirt and shorts from the night before.

Jinki was amused by his wife. She wasn’t an angelic sleeper, which he appreciated, but rather a comfortable one.

He went to the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth. From the corner of his eyes, he could see her phone on the coffee table. An idea came in his head and he felt tempted to go with it. He spat out the paste and gurgled some water then spat it out. Jinki styled his hair and parted it to the side. He put on his brown Cartier watch then grabbed her phone. Much to his luck she didn’t have a passcode lock. He went to the Instagram app to take a video. The room was just too dark to see anyone clearly so he figured he could just crack a curtain.

At the beginning of the video, he focused on Nayeon. He held on the button, “Wake up,” he whispered while lightly poking her. He laughed when her eyebrows furrowed from the subtle disturbance.

He walked out to the back where the most beautiful view of Taipei was seen. He pressed the button again, “Isn’t this beautiful? Good morning, Taipei.”

“What are you doing?”

Jinki turned around and Nayeon was at the sliding door. He was right: she was wearing spaghetti straps and sleeping shorts. Her eyes were squinting from the brightness.

“Is that my phone?”

He saw that he had a few second left to record, so he took the chance. Jinki recorded a few seconds of her standing at the door, looking beautiful as always.

“Good morning my beautiful wife!” He said to the camera then quickly uploaded the video with the caption:

 

nymoon First morning in beautiful Taipei with my stunning wife.
Jinki: 2 | Nayeon: 0

 

He smiled to himself. He walked to her and gave the phone back to her, “And here you go.” She took the phone back sluggishly as she followed him in the home.

He buttoned his dress shirt then wore his blazer over it. “When did you wake up?” He asked as he moved on to his tie.

Nayeon looked at Jinki and how he was struggling with his tie. She tucked her phone under her arm and fixed the tie for him, “Well you left the curtain open and you poked me, how can I not wake up?” They both chuckled. Nayeon pat the tie and smoothed out his suit, “The slightest peek of light wakes me up.”

Jinki smiled, “Well now I know.”

She checked her phone, “You should get to work now.” She turned it to him, “It’s 6:40, traffic will begin. Wouldn’t want to be late for your first meeting now.”

He gave her a peck on the cheek, “Thank you, have a good morning.” He walked to gather his things. Jinki slipped on his leather shoes. “Sorry I have to rush to work.” He grabbed a hold of his briefcase. “I’ll spend the rest of the day with you once I get back, okay?”

“Just have a good day at work. Sorry I didn't make breakfast for you.”

“Sorry I woke you up.”

Nayeon lightly laughed then pushed him towards the door, “Stop apologizing and just go before you’re really late for work.”

With the briefcase in his hands, he looked at her. Nayeon looked at him awkwardly, “What?”

He turned his cheek at her then tapped it, beckoning for her to give him a kiss on the cheek.

She laughed then pushed him away, “I haven’t even brushed my teeth yet, that’s gross.”

Jinki groaned then wrapped his arms around her, “But I’m not disgusted.” He looked deeply in her eyes, making her feel uncomfortable.

Nayeon tried to push him away, “Go before you’re late. I don’t want to be the reason why everyone else had to wait for you.”

“Then I’ll just tell them I was spending some sweet time with my dear wife." He said cheekily. "They’ll understand, we are married you know.” She smack him on the arm and he chuckled. “I am not leaving until I get a kiss from my wife.” He said sternly.

“But I have morning breath, I don’t want you to throw up”

“I can handle it,” he assured.

She sighed. He wasn’t going to leave anytime soon unless she did what he asked for.

It’s just a innocent, little, insignificant peck on the cheek, Nayeon. Just do it so you can go back to sleeping and he can leave to work.

Nayeon looked at him then sighed. “You’re so annoying,” she groaned as she pulled her arms out of his hold. She cupped his face then kissed his cheek. “There, now go to work before you are seriously late.”

Jinki smiled then quickly snuck a kiss on the lips, “Bye, honey.” Then he left to work.

Nayeon stood there then scoffed, “Already using ‘honey’?” She clucked her tongue then headed back to bed.

She jumped in the fluffy bed only to find herself staring at the ceiling. She looked at her phone then looked at the post that Jinki made.

Already there were many likes and comments. Curious, she read through the comments.

swagging_on_korea It looks like he's wearing a tank top and she’s not wearing any clothes when she’s in bed. Then she comes out in a thin shirt and shorts. They totally did it last night

milkyeol she got the d

anilee98 U guys r so cute~

uknow_it I U MOON NAYEON

bobbynope I'm just gonan assume we all know what happened

casp3r and now we wait for the news to come

 

“News? What news?” She continued to read the comments.

 

notice_me_plz Soon we will hear of a baby from our lovely couple.  Nayeon and Jinki fighting!

Her eyes widened, “What! What baby? We didn’t do anything last night!” Then she received a phone call from a photographer. She cleared her voice, making sure she didn’t sound like she had just woken up. “Hello?”

“Nayeon, sweetie, this is me David Tang, remember me?” The man said over the phone in English, “From Vogue? Ah, of course you don’t, you’re royalty now. Oh, how sad for me.”

She laughed at the man, “No, no, David, of course I still remember you.” She replied back in English, “What’s up?”

“Awe, I am flattered. Anyway I figured since you and the boo are in Taipei and it’s been forever since you’ve been in a magazine, how about a pictorial?”

Nayeon thought about it. It had been a while since she's had a photo shoot, especially for Vogue or any magazine. And her manager always encouraged her to do more work. But she didn’t know. She was always bad at making decisions.

“It could even be with your boo~” David cooed. “It'll be like your newly-wed pictorial—exclusive!“ He said excitedly. “It'll be perfect!”

Nayeon shut her eyes and placed her arm over them. “But I'm afraid people with think we're annoying. Like that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West couple, they’re everywhere!”

“Yeah but unlike them, you two are the perfect couple! Plus they’re feeding off of all the media that they can get. You two are so humble, it’s adorable!”

“I don’t know….” She trailed.

The photographer sighed, “Fine, I'll give you time. You can speak this with your manager and especially your y husband, then give me a call back okay, sweetie?”

“Fine,” she said, defeated. “Thank you, David.”

“Okay sorry for calling you so early. I saw your update. You and the boo were busy last night so get all the rest today, alright?”

Nayeon hissed at him, “Shut up. I'm hanging up, bye!” She hung up while the other was still laughing. She sighed and threw her phone at the end of the bed. “A photo shoot?” She grumbled in Korean. She rolled over, “As if he has the time to.”
 

There goes that strained feeling in his shoulders again. They somehow always seem to trigger in meetings. Pushing the pain away, Jinki rolled his head trying to ease the tension. By 9 o’clock, the meeting ended. Jinki and Joongki bowed to those that had showed up. “Shoulders up,” Joongki murmured to Jinki. He noticed that his left shoulder was looking a bit burdened today.

He stood up straight, “Thank you.” Once everyone left, it was just the two of them. Jinki walked with his brother. “How come you’re here?”

“What do you mean?” Joongki asked.

Jinki gave him an obvious smile, “Wasn’t my nephew born literally yesterday? Remember? That’s why you two couldn’t attend my wedding?”

The older sarcastically laughed, “You really think father would let me miss a meeting for my son?” He looked at his foot, “Kijoo’s got a lung condition.”

“What!” Jinki exclaimed. “Are you serious?”

“Doctors said that his lungs were weak and that he needed to remain in the hospital for a few weeks for further testing and medical care.”

“But that’s ridiculous, did you even tell father?” If he was in the situation as his brother, Jinki would have never showed up to the meeting.

“He just told me that in life we must live up to our priorities. My priority now–he said–was to set up the company so when Kijoo inherits it, he will be prepared.” He shook his head with a grimaced expression, “Well I’m gonna go now. Gotta head back to London to check on my son and wife.”

Jinki bowed to his brother as they parted away. He was so mad for Joongki. At a time like this, one’s attendance at a meaningless meeting was not important; the health factor of their newborn is. He walked in his office and saw a man looking at the bookshelf with his hands in his pants pocket.

“Hello Lee Jinki-sshi.”

It was his brother-in-law, Moon Sangwon. “Please no formalities whatsoever. We’re family now.” He sat down in his chair, “Have a seat.” Sangwon sat down. “So what brings you to Taipei?”

“Father wanted me to take care of some business in Taipei so I thought I’d come by to visit you and Nayeon. I brought Aeyoung with me, since she wanted to come shop in Taipei. So,” Sangwon sat back in his seat, “Mind if I visit my sister?”

“No of course not!” He chuckled, “Nayeon is your sister before she is my wife.” He opened a drawer and took out a notepad and a pen. “I’ll give you the address so you can visit her.” He wrote it down then ripped it out. Jinki handed it to the older man, “I’m sure she’ll love to see her siblings again.”

 

The main point of the trip to Taipei was to shop and have fun, not visit some hag. It was six at night. She should have been preparing for the hottest party of the night but instead she was dragged to see her pathetic sister.

 

“Couldn’t I just stay at another hotel and wait for you? I don’t want to see that rat.” Aeyoung complained.

Sangwon glared at her, baffled by her comment. “She’s our younger sister, Aeyoung. Why do you, of all people, hate her so much?” He didn’t wait for her to respond, “If you want to wait in the car then go ahead, just know it won't be quick.” He gave her a threatening look then proceeded to enter the hotel.

Aeyoung sighed and followed him. If she stayed in the car, she was dead for sure.

Flipping through channel after channeling, she felt like her life was so dead and boring. Nayeon couldn’t speak Mandarin so it was difficult to communicate with the people around her. She wasn't sure if they'd understand English, so she remained in the house to be on the safe side. Her day consisted of exploring the suite, swimming in the luxurious infinity pool, taking short naps, and channel flipping through Taiwanese soap operas she wished she understood. Nayeon heard the door ring and jumped from her seat.

“Yes, he’s finally home!” She excitedly thought. She opened the door and was greeted with the warm smile of her brother, “Sangwon!” She hugged him.

“Hey kiddo.” He stepped in the house and admired the suite, “Wow, not bad Glory Hotel." He rubbed the pure gold wallpaper, "Very impressive.”

Nayeon smiled at her brother and was about shut the door until a loud throat-clearing stopped her. She looked and saw her older sister glaring at her. “ gets married to a filthy rich guy and all of a sudden she thinks she owns the whole damn place.” Aeyoung pushed the door open and shoved Nayeon away, “Arrogant .” She walked inside the suite.

Nayeon looked down, hurt by her sister’s words, and walked to go accompany her brother in the other room.

Everything glistened and shined out of luxury. From the polish, white marble floors to the diamond chandeliers, this suite was nearly a royal palace. She scoffed at how glamorous and extravagant everything was. “Well isn’t your life easy? Just leisuring around and letting dust gather itself. No wonder women are given such a bad rep.” Aeyoung turned and looked at Nayeon, “It’s because of girls like you.”

“Aeyoung!” Sangwon loudly called.

“What?” The younger said innocently. She sat down on the sofa and crossed her legs, “I’m just stating the truth.” She said simply.

“And exactly what do you offer for the family, hm? You don’t do anything either. Matter of fact, you’re the reason why we need maids and servants in the house so you should shut your mouth.” Sangwon looked at Nayeon and sighed apologetically, “I’m sorry Nayeon for Aeyoung’s unreasonable behavior. I thought,” he glared at her, “She’d be more controlled than this.” He looked back at the youngest, “I’ll visit you alone whenever I come back.” He hugged his sister and kissed the top of her head. “Bye and be a good wife to Lee Jinki.”

Nayeon nodded and bowed at her siblings.

Sangwon pulled Aeyoung to the door and she resisted his grip. He looked up and saw Jinki standing by the door with a blank almost upset look on his face. Aeyoung looked and was surprised to see him. Still holding onto his sister, Sangwon bowed at the man, “Thank you for allowing us into your home. We will be leaving now.”

Jinki nod his head then looked at Aeyoung. She looked at him and dipped her head a bow, “Goodbye brother-in-law.” Sangwon pulled her out the door and slammed it.

Nayeon walked to the door only to be stopped by her husband. She looked up and gave him a recovering grin once she saw it was him, “When did you get home?”

“Why do you let her speak to you like that?”

She shut , not knowing what to say. “You must be hungry, let me cook you something.” She walked away but Jinki pulled her back.

“Nayeon.” He turned her around, “Was she the same sister that killed your rabbit?”

Nayeon shut her eyes, “Please don’t talk about that, please just don’t.”

“Was she?” He asked louder this time.

She sighed and opened her eyes. “Yes,” she softly confirmed.

He let her go and walked to the living room. He loosened his tie then plopped down on the sofa and ran his fingers through his hair. Nayeon didn’t know what to do. She walked to Jinki and sat next to him. “I’m sorry,” she apologized.

His anger ticked. “Why are you sorry? What bad have you done?” His eyebrows furrowed by his frustration. “You have every right to be upset right now but instead you apologize for everything you didn’t do? Nayeon, why?”

“I’m sorry you had to hear that!” She shouted back, equally loud. “I’m sorry that I don’t know how to control the situation or that I can’t argue back. But she’s my sister, Jinki–my older sister. There’s not much that I can do but sit there and accept her insults.”

“No,” he shook his head, “You don’t need to accept it. You shouldn’t. Siblings don’t treat each other like that. Family,” he emphasized, “Shouldn’t be like that, Nayeon.” He sighed and held her hands, “Let’s go to London.”

How did this man go from lecturing her to asking for a vacation? Nayeon looked at him with confusion, “What?”


Wow so we see many things here. Nayeon and Jinki are adorbs and Jinki has offical taken over her Instagram account /obviously/ Nayeon can speak English and the light wakes her up. Again we see a perfect display of Aeyoung being a and Sangwon being a fabulous older brother. Aeyoung, need some peanut butter on yo jelly? /forreals/ Anyways, both familys got some issue. Jinki’s daddy is crazy and obviously wants his kids to input his workaholic lifestyle into theirs. Meanwhile Aeyoung is the epitome of evil stepsister. Anyway that escalated quickly with that whole arguing to the LET'S GO TO LONDON BAE!

 

Anyway comment below, I would love to read about what you guys thought about this chapter because I worked my off for this one! One of my favorite chapters so far. Please anticipate for the next chapter because it will be a JUICY one!