Last Straw

An Inheritor's Marriage

She found herself staring at the glass of expensive champagne. Nayeon hated alcohol, regardless of the price tag that clung around it. Idly, she watched her sister hastily cut a piece of her prime steak, feeling nauseous just looking at the juice that oozed from the pressure of the knife.

 

“So, what’s with you and Jinki now?” Aeyoung looked at her younger sister with the most blatant smirk on her face.

 

Nayeon inhaled a spiteful breath and looked away from the horrid scene. “You read the tabloids, don’t act like you don’t know.”

 

Aeyoung chuckled while wiping the corner of her lips with the handkerchief. “Hey, I’m just curious to know the truth. You of all people should know how much they fabricate any information they get.” She put it down then gave a smug look, “So, he’s definitely cheating?” she scoffed, “You must be a crappy wife.”

 

Nayeon scoffed, “If this is all you want to talk about, then I’d rather not be here.”

 

“Sit down.”

 

She scoffed upon hearing her sister’s order, “Goodbye, Aeyoung.” she walked away and saw Chanyeon approaching their table. The eldest furrowed her brows, knowing that Aeyoung had already said too much. Nayeon looked past her sister and took another route out.

 

“Nayeon, wait,” Chanyeon called as she followed her. She gently pulled her sister’s arm back, “Why are you already leaving? I just got here.”

 

The tight, congested bundle of anger that built up inside her thumped against her ribcage. “You guys must really like this huh?” Nayeon said bitterly. “What, is mother going to show up too?”

 

“Nayeon it’s not like that, please. Come back so we can discuss this issue.”

 

“I bet you guys are loving this right now. You love how another woman has sabotaged my life. You guys get a thrill from seeing me miserable, don’t you?”

 

“Nayeon it is not like that, stop with your awful assumptions.” Chanyeon said sharply.

 

“How can I not think this way when all my life you all have treated me like !” The rage was gone and emotional pain took it’s place. “You guys never cared about my marriage until now. Why? Because you think the scandal will interfere with the agreement?” Nayeon lightly chuckled, “I will assure you that this marriage will go on, so don’t stress over it; don’t need to pretend like you care. Just remember that when the galleria is up and running, Jinki and I will be getting our divorce.” She walked away before her sister can say anything.

 

Chanyeon looked at Nayeon then sighed. She looked back at their reserved table and saw Aeyoung wave at her. Chanyeon shook her head then approached the woman. “How’s the steak? Good?” she asked sarcastically as she looked down at the gluttonous heiress.

 

“Delicious,” Aeyoung responded between chews, “Nothing can beat Kobe.”

 

“What the hell did you say to her?” Chanyeon asked vehemently. “Dammit Aeyoung can you ever not be a to her?”

 

“Sorry, I don’t do favors.” Aeyoung responded bluntly.

 

Chanyeon sighed in defeat. “I don’t want to continue this dysfunctional relationship anymore.” she confessed, “I don’t want Nayeon to hate me. I don’t want her to see me as a bad person.”

 

“Who cares what she thinks?” She poured some steak sauce over her meat, “She’s not important anyway. Ah,” she said as if she had reached an epiphany, “you care because the galleria isn’t up yet.” Aeyoung rose a thumb up, “Good thinking.”

 

“My god, Aeyoung!” Chanyeon exclaimed completely baffled about how apathetic her sister was. “Are you kidding me right now? Why do you even hate her so much? She hasn’t done anything to you yet you hate her with such unnecessary passion.”

 

“She’s a younger sibling and I am the older. It’s been embedded in humans to dislike their younger sibling.” she said casually. “Plus, you don’t need a reason to hate someone.”

 

Chanyeon shook her head, “Talking to you only makes my head hurt more.” She stood up, “Doesn’t XX Cosmetics launch their collaboration with Laneige tomorrow? Why aren’t you there discussing issues?”

 

Aeyoung waved her hand as she continued to chew, “I hire people to do those things for me.” She sipped some of her wine in a disorderly fashion, “Everything’s under control.”

 

Chanyeon looked at her, disgusted at what wealth really does to someone. With a grimaced look on her face, she threw a handkerchief at her sister, “Wipe that dirty mouth of yours. It’s almost as bad as the words that comes out of it.”

 

The younger received it and chuckled as Chanyeon walked away, “Hey hon, I think you need some meat inside you,” ual pun intended, “you’re gettin’ real snappy and y.”

“ off, Aeyoung!” Chanyeon shouted, not looking back.


 

The maid hurriedly went to go welcome her Madam, as it’s been days since she’s seen her home. “Nayeon, you’re home.” Kwan bowed, “I’ve missed you dearly.”

 

Nayeon smiled; it was nice to know that someone cares about her absence. “I’ve missed you too, Kwan.” She looked around, “Is Jinki home?”

 

“He hasn’t been going to work ever since you left.” Kwan said in a hushed voice. “He’s been eating less and has been contact a lot of people, often looking at his phone. Has he been sending you messages?”

 

“Yes, but I’ve been ignoring him.” She walked ahead, “Where is he at exactly?”

 

“In the backyard. He’s been staring at the pond, mostly.”

 

“Alright, thank you Kwan.” Nayeon turned back and hugged her, “I think I missed you more than I should have.” she chuckled.

 

Kwan pat her on the back, “Please, go talk to your husband.”

 

Nayeon nodded. Once she entered, she took off her shoes and replaced it with her slippers. It’s been so long since she’s worn them, the imprint of her feet was nearly gone. Ignoring this, she walked to the backyard and just like Kwan explained, Jinki was staring at the scenery of their backyard. Like a Japanese garden, it was full of nurseries, beautiful statues, an elegant water fountain, and a pond where lotus flowers were gracefully floating on top. If it was one thing Nayeon loved about the house, it was the spacious and breathtaking backyard.

 

She hated to ruin the serenity of his peace, but she needed to tell him now. Her impatience was getting to her. Behind him, she cleared to make her presence known. Jinki looked up and noticeably, his posture levitated. “Nayeon.”

 

As always, she avoided his eyes. “When will the galleria be done?”

 

“You come back home to talk to me about business?”

 

“Just answer my question.” she demanded.

 

Jinki sighed, she still hasn’t gotten over the issue; he didn’t blame her. “Sometime next year.”

 

“Fantastic.” She turned him with a grin, “We’ll get our divorce a month after it’s opening.”

 

He stood up, “Nayeon, please don’t do this.”

 

“It’s already been finalized by me,” she told him firmly. “I can continue my modeling and you can finally be released from our string.”

 

“I’m not pulled into this anymore Nayeon please understand that I’m being genuine.

 

“Sorry I can’t tell anymore.” she said apathetically. “I apologize for being such a hassle and nuisance.”

 

He was frustrated. Honestly speaking, he was tired of begging her back when she was being unresponsive. “Nayeon,” he said with a tone she wasn’t familiar with. It wasn’t so much anger, but rather disappointed and agitated. “It’s been two weeks. I know that it was difficult to process the whole scandal but I’ve already told you the truth and apologized numerous times. If you don’t see my efforts then,” he paused, trying to think of how he should formulate his next thought, “then sobeit. I’m not going to keep pouring my heart to you if all you do is kick it away.”

 

That definitely caught her off guard.

 

“If it’s a divorce you want, then that’s what we’ll get. I know how impatient you are with this topic so I will try my hardest to hurry up the galleria so you can finally live your life.”

 

Within his heart wrenching speech, Nayeon noticed how his eyes were saying otherwise. Like it hurt him to tell her that he too was letting go. Jinki walked inside the house then shortly left.


thank you all for staying. i'm sorry if i didn't mention but i am a senior so i'm extremely busy with school work (ap) and applying for colleges and scholarships. perhaps you guys will be seeing more updates during november/decemeber but for now updates will be scarce.