Thirty-Six

His Reply

“Joon Hee-ah.”

Yoo Jung's accusatory tone gives me chills. For her, I took the life of her best friend. I don't know the extent of her hatred toward me, but I'm more afraid of her calm demeanor than her usual tone.

“If you came here to blame me for her death, you may leave.” I say.

“No, I don't blame you at all. I know you're a good person.”

“Then why are you here?”

“Because I believe you've been framed up. At first I can't make sense of it, but I was convinced by my own instincts.”

“Leave me alone. I don't need your pity.”

“What if I tell you that Yoon Jae is making ways to get you out of here? Will you still push me away?”

I leave without answering her. Ridiculous. He already pushed me away when Shi Won died.  

 

 

“Are you ready?” Hyeon Jae asks me as we walk into his office. Today is the day where we get to make Hyun Mi confess my wife's murder. I'm not sure what I can do. I can feel my knees buckle out of its joints.

“I am.” I answer calmly, but it comes out as a nervous plea. I just have to get over this.

“Okay, so here's the plan. I confront that woman and you hide under the table while taking a video of us. Use your phone. I'm going to use my phone, too. I'll hide it behind there.

He points to a set of trophies and plaques standing on a rack behind the wall, just above his desk. He puts his black phone there, hidden and undiscovered.

“Two videos are better than one, right?” he says and I just smile at him.

I hide under the table and prepare my phone for the video. Hyeon Jae waits for Hyun Mi to come in. He sits on the couch and taps his fingers on his legs. A minute later, the door swings open.

“Oh, Hyeon Jae-ah?” she says, face pale from something I don't know. “What are you doing here?”

Hyeon Jae turns serious and calculating.

 

 

“Hyun Mi-ah, can I ask you something?”

“S-Sure.” I can hear her voice shaking in fear. I hold my breath and try to focus on them. The phone in my hand is slowly slipping away.

“Do you have the post-mortem report on Sung Shi Won?”

I see her hand tremble at the sound of my wife's name. She can't look directly into his eyes.

“It's still in process, Hyeon Jae. You just can't ask it from me like it's an exam paper.”

Hyeon Jae smirks. “We btoh know it doesn't take that long, Hyun Mi. Come on, we're doctors here. Together with Joon Hee, we tried to find ways to save Mrs. Yoon.”

In my video, I can see her swallowing a huge lump in . Clearly, she's afraid of something.

“What are you afraid of, Lee Hyun Mi?” Hyeon Jae asks.

“Stop fooling around with me, Min Hyeon Jae. You're clearly accusing me of something.”

He laughs. “Oh, like killing a patient for your own interest? For revenge?”

I swear I could clearly see the veins in her head pop in anger. Lee Hyun Mi has never been this humiliated before, and Hyeon Jae is clearly enjoying the game.

“You've got nothing to hide now, woman. Confess everything to me now or else I’ll collect every single proof of your crime and put you behind bars.”

Hyun Mi bites her lip. She is on the verge of tears. The long-awaited moment has come.

Because I know Kang Joon Hee doesn't love me. Because I know he will never love me. So I decided to take away an important piece of him. I decided to kill Shi Won.”

“All because of love. And you didn't think how much it would cost you.”

“I don't care! I wanted his love but he never gave it to me. And I'll never be sorry for it.”

“You should. Because now, you'll pay the price.”

Her eyes go to the trophies. She must have seen his phone.

“Are you taking a video?” she asks.

Before he could answer, she went to the rack and took out his phone. She slammed it on the floor and crushed it with her foot.

“I'll never pay the price. Never!”

Hyeon Jae smirks. “Don't you think I have a back-up? Come out now, Mr. Yoon.”

I stop recording the video and come out from under the table. I put the phone in my pocket. Hyun Mi looks at me with wide eyes.

“You !” I slap her hard on the cheek.

Her eyes are masked with fear when she looks at me.