Twelve

His Reply

“It’s Tae Woong.”

I look at Yoon Jae and Shi Won. It’s real danger if Tae Woong finds her here. Yoon Jae grabs her hand and they head to the storage room. I run back to the kitchen table and hurriedly clear the dishes, leaving mine alone so Tae Woong won’t think anything.

I walk back to the door and open it for him. Tae Woong walks in. I give him a small smile as he scans the area.

“Where’s Yoon Jae?” he asks.

“Uh…” I scratch the back of my head trying to think of an answer. That question itself launches his suspicious side.

“He’s not here?” he urges.

“Uh…yeah. He’s out somewhere. He’ll be back later.”

He nods. “Okay, I’ll just wait for him.”

“No, you don’t have to. He’ll come home by afternoon.”

His eyebrows pull together. This is bad.

“Where did he go?”

Quick. I need an answer.

“He didn’t tell me.”

“Oh, I see.”

He looks around the area again. I stand frozen in my place, looking out for some lapses that might put my friends in danger. When he goes to the kitchen counter near the storage room, that’s where my heart spikes several beats beyond normal. I follow him and look to the storage room. Shi Won’s right pink slipper sits idly above the floor mat.

This is worse. Tae Woong should not see this.

I block the slipper from his view and watch him fill a glass with water.

“So, how are you doing? Is my brother being a pain in your again?” he asks in a friendly tone. I just wish it’s not a bait for me to get what he wants.

“We’re fine. Your brother has been god to me. Though sometimes he’s dumb and stupid. It’s just the way he is.”

Tae Woong chuckles at my answer. He must have missed Yoon Jae that much. “That guy. He never changed.”

“By the way, why are you looking for Shi Won?” I ask to change the topic.

He chooses to shut his mouth for a while. It’s hard for him, judging the look in his eyes.

“I want her back. She ran away from me without explaining why. I just love her so much.”

That’s because she loves your brother and she’s willing to do anything for him. You lost this fight already, I could have said.

But instead I say. “She’ll be back for sure. You know her. Maybe it’s just her mood swinging left and right.”

He smiles half-heartedly at my answer.

“I hope so.”

For a moment, I see his gaze drifting to the slipper. I freeze in silence. I ignore it when he pats my shoulder.

“I have to go, Joon Hee. It’s nice seeing you. Tell Yoon Jae I came here.” he says.

I blink and smile at him.

“Sure. Take care.”

“I will.”

I lean on the kitchen counter the moment I hear the door slam shut. He’s gone and I don’t have anything to worry about.

My eyes land on the storage room. It’s time.

 

“Don’t. Move.” Yoon Jae whispers as the doorknob beside me twists in urgency. Tae Woong might be standing on the other side. It will be the death of me if that’s true.

I nod and swallow the lump in my throat. His arms are still pinned on the wooden door. I can feel his breathing against my body. I quickly shut my eyes while the twisting of the doorknob becomes more demanding.

“Yoon Jae-ah.” I say.

He raises an eyebrow. We hear the footsteps move away from the door. I just keep on looking at him. The words I was about to say slip out of my mind. He looks elsewhere when I haven’t spoken for almost a minute.

I hear the keys rattle outside. My heart beats faster. No, not Tae Woong. Certainly not him. Please.

The door slams open. Yoon Jae and I fall on the floor. He catches me in his arms and I’m lying on top of him.

His face close to mine. His arms around my body. I could kiss him right now.

“What are you doing?” Joon Hee asks.

I get up fast and face him. My cheeks are slowly turning red in shame. I don’t want him to think we’re doing something inside the storage room.

“You pushed so hard that’s why we fell.” I reason out.

“Oh.” he says, dismissing any dark thoughts he has in mind.

“Is Tae Woong still here?” Yoon Jae asks while standing up.

“No, he already left. He’s saying hi to you.”

I breathe out a sigh of relief. I thought it was Tae Woong on the other side of the door. I don’t know how to make it up to Joon Hee for all the kindness and generosity he showed to me.

“I’m sorry, Joon Hee. And thanks.”

“Always.” he says with a smile.

And with that, I promise to myself that I’ll fix this mess by hook or by crook.

 

Being trapped in a dark room with Shi Won was total hell. But it could have been a lot worse if Tae Woong found us there.

I am thankful to Joon Hee for saving us again. I’m still not prepared to face my brother’s wrath if he finds her in this house. Shi Won is putting me and Joon Hee into grave danger. If she doesn’t fix her problem with him, I’ll be forced to turn her over to Yoo Jung.

I fix the tie I wore in front of the mirror, praying that no one among the three of us gets hurt or being tracked by Tae Woong. He can be friendly and deadly at the same time. I’ve accepted this universal fact since I know him all my life.

Joon Hee comes into my room and walks silently to my direction.

“Are you alright?” he asks.

I chuckle. He’s got the strength to ask me that when he’s the one who had a pretty rough time facing my brother.

“I should ask you that.” I answer.

He smiles. “You know me. I’m always okay.”

“You should take care of yourself, Joon Hee. You’ll be in for another whole day shift again.”

“I can manage. I have my own stock of food so I won’t get hungry.”

I pat his head and smile.

“I’m going. If I can come out of work early, I’ll drop by the hospital and let’s eat dinner together.”

“Sure.”

I don’t know what’s with me but I kiss his forehead. I walk out of my room immediately to avoid seeing his reaction and hide the blush in my cheeks. I clutch my chest and acknowledge this budding feeling I have for Joon Hee.

 

I am the last one to leave the house. Yoon Jae and Joon Hee left an hour ago. I just finished writing my script for another movie. I’m on my way to my boss to pass this.

There’s an eerie atmosphere as I walk down the hallways to the main door. Like somebody is watching me from afar. Tracking my every move. I hate this. I hope it’s not Tae Woong.

I look around me to see if somebody is really here. There’s no one, but I hear random footsteps following me. I quicken my pace toward the main door. The steady heat of the sun greets me the moment I’m outside.

I see a ghost of Tae Woong’s figure hiding behind a wall not far from Joon Hee’s unit. I turn away and hail a cab.

 

Dr. Jang left in a short notice because of a family emergency. I’m left with all the paperwork that needs to be done and due tomorrow. I yawn while looking at all of them piled in front of my table. This is going to be a long, long night.

Taking a sip of my coffee, I check my phone to see if there’s a message from Yoon Jae. I hold on to his promise earlier. Having dinner with him seems extra special even if I’ve dined with him for ten thousandth time.

A knock on the door snaps my thoughts shut on my best friend. I stand and open up the door, only to be pushed by a man and hear the door slam shut.

Just as I recover my balance, I fly to the wall and my shoulders are pinned by two strong arms.

“Why is Shi Won in your place?”

Tae Woong’s voice is stern and scary. His eyes are far from the friendly pair I got along with this morning. My insides start to tremble with fear. Yoon Tae Woong is at his deadliest mode right in front of me.

I’m about to speak when he cuts me off.

“And why did you lie to me, Kang Joon Hee?”

“That moment, I knew there’s no way to escape him. The question echoes in my mind again and again. The consequences of my actions are taking its shape and hitting me squarely on the forehead.