Seventeen

His Reply

He stirs beside me, making me move an inch farther away from him. He has his arms wrapped around my waist while his breath blows hot on my face. I love the smell of it and everything about Yoon Jae. We’re both worn out from the love we shared not so long ago. Despite all these crazy things happening in our lives, he makes me feel loved. I savor the moments when I can hold his hand and tuck him closer to me. In this current situation I’m in, it’s the only way I can tell him that I love him.

But I can’t help thinking what Shi Won must have risked to push through all this. Her life is on the line, knowing how Tae Woong behaved the last time she saw him. I don’t know where she is now but I pray for her safety.

I’ve come to think of myself too. As Yoon Jae and Shi Won puts on this show, I’ll be in deep pain watching them. It hurts to see them act so sweet in front of everyone. Yet I signed myself up for this. I should be preparing myself for the incoming pain.

Yoon Jae’s words echo in my head again.

I know you love me, Joon Hee. Let’s hold on together, okay? We can do this. We’ll make it through this. I love you.

His kisses were the seal of his words embedded in my heart. The way they tickle my nerves is so amazing. I’m hanging on to his words, even if sometimes I feel like they’ll fade into thin air.

You must know that I love you. So much.

Even if he married Shi Won. Even if he staged a fake like in front of everybody’s eyes. Even if I’ll bear the worst of all pain.

I kiss his forehead and get up from the bed, slowly getting our scattered clothing on the floor.

 

When I open my eyes, Joon Hee is gone. My clothes are neatly folded beside me. I put them on one by one and head out of his bedroom.

I see a yellow sticky note pasted on a mug of what must be coffee. I pick it up and in a distinct handwriting, Joon Hee says:

I have to go to the hospital. Dr. Jang called me up and I can’t say no to him. Do your work now. You have lots of them.

I take a sip from the cup. In the deafening silence, I come across with things that are of great concern to me lately. This fake marriage with Shi Won is beginning to take its toll on me. Harsher and more sinister things are going to happen if this goes on, given how Tae Woong’s mind works these days. I just hope that nothing bad happens to Joon Hee, Shi Won or any of the people I love. He can do anything he wants with me.

Then there’s Joon Hee. Nothing in this world can stop me from loving him. I mean all the words I said to him. Every kiss and every whisper means more than what it really is. Even Shi Won can’t stop me. I’m going to hold on even if it’s hard on my part.

The doorbell rings as I take the last sip of my coffee. I put the cup down and swallow the liquid. I take long strides to the door, only to see it swing open and reveal a panting Shi Won.

“Yoon Jae-ah.” she says.

“What’s wrong?”

“Hak Chan…”

He words hang in the air. My chest breaks at the sound of my heartbeat.

 

SIX HOURS AGO

Work is a perfect excuse won’t know what I’ve been planning to do. They’re going to stop me had I told them about this. For once, I want to do something right. I want to make everything clear with Tae Woong.

I press the doorbell twice. On the third press, he opens the door, a sinister grin spreading across his face.

“So, you’ve decided to be with me again?” he says.

“Let me in.” Though I know I won’t be able to make it outside again.

He steps aside and I walk inside his place. With knees trembling and hands shaking, I say the words that will drive him to the edge.

“I just came here to say that…”

“That?”

“That I have to end everything between us.”

In an instant I find myself falling on the bed, his force successfully pushing me toward the huge mattress. He slaps me a few times and I finally taste blood on my lips. He raises his finger at me.

“You…You don’t have the right to do this.”

“I have every right, Tae Woong! I – ”

A slap in my cheek. The blood gets tastier.

“Shut up, you wench!”

“I married your brother because I love him. That ends everything. You should know that by now.”

Tae Woong screams and throws the lampshade on the wall. I walk past him, ignoring his untamed behavior and pack my remaining things. He sits on the floor crying while I take one last glance at him.

“Goodbye, Tae Woong. Live a good life.”

Then I leave him and bang the door shut.

 

NOW

“What about Hak Chan?” I ask, concern lingering in my voice.

“He’s in danger right now and – ”

She stops speaking when my phone rings. I tak the call.

“Hello, Kang Joon Hee?”