Thirty-Three

His Reply

The gray walls are slowly spinning. The blue inmate uniform is quite loose for my body. For five days, I think of nothing but finding a reason why it all came into this. I'm stuck and I have to find my way out of this mess.

The patrol guard calls me out, telling me I have a visitor. I wordlessly follow him to the visiting area. Shi Won's parents and Yoon Jae are there. I feel my knees wobble as I sit on the chair.

“How's prison, Kang Joon Hee? I bet my daughter haunts you at night.” Mr. Sung says.

“Mr. Sung, I - ”

A strong and swift slap hits my cheek. I fight hard not to fall down. Mrs. Sung calms her husband.

“Honey, don't be so harsh on Joon Hee!”

At least her words soothe me, but the next few sentences from her renders me helpless.

“Joon Hee, I hope you realize the impact of what you had done. Our Shi Won deserves justice for her death.”

My eyes start to swell at the things I’m hearing. I can't bear hearing anything from them anymore. But what hurts me most is Yoon Jae staring at me, saying nothing in the midst of the noise.

“Mrs. Sung, how can you say that? It's -”

“Mom, Dad, I'd like to talk to Joon Hee alone. Can you leave us for a while?”

Mr. and Mrs. Sung leave the visiting area. It's even more frightening now that I'm alone with Yoon Jae.

“I know you're going to say the same thing. You don't have to stay longer. Go.”

“There's hell to pay for you, Joon Hee. Perhaps it's better if you remain here.”

“Did you ever really love her?” I ask.

He says nothing after taking a good look at me then leaves. My soul has just been crushed.

 

 

That's it. I dropped all my bombs. I'm helpless as hell. Joon Hee is the only person my heart shouts for all these years. I let the caged tears trickle down my face. I swear crying alone inside my room keeps me from going insane.

For once, I find myself believing Joon Hee. He's the gentle man I’ve always known. Putting blood in his hands is something he wouldn't do, especially to Shi Won. The two were close back then. But I also find it too fictional.

My thoughts skid to a stop when the door bell rings. I lazily stand up from the bed and open the door for the demon waiting outside.

“Hi!” Hyeon Jae smiles at me. Though we're not technically friends, I always don't mind having him around.

“What do you want?”

“I know something that can get Joon Hee out of jail. Want to talk it over?”

I glance at the two boxes of pizza in his hand.

“Sure. Come in.”