Thirty-Five

His Reply

The woman's nervous appearance goes unnoticed in my sight. It seems like she's always haunted by the things she was forced to do. She welcomes us inside her cozy home and gets the teapot from the kitchen. We sit on the couch.

“Hey, I know you're a judge. I'm sure you can find a way to get her from going behind bars.” Hyeon Jae says softly.

I just ignore him as the woman sits opposite us. She fidgets a lot and bites her own lip.

“Hey Cha Eun Jung, stop doing that. Your lip might bleed.” he reprimands.

“I'm sorry.” Eun Jung buries her face in her hands. She begins to sob.

“It's okay, just tell us everything.” I say.

“I don't know. It's all complicated.”

“You may start. I'm a judge and you're safe with me.” I assure her.

Eun Jung shoots me a worried look. She composes herself and starts her narrative.

“Dr. Lee told me to give Mrs. Yoon a poisonous shot. I asked her why but she didn't answer. I should just do what she said. She promised me an indefinite leave under her name and bought this house for me. When I injected the shot to Mrs. Yoon, my hands were shaking. I looked at her and told her I’m sorry. I ran away from her. Three hours later, I found out that she was dead. I went home early and did not finish my shift.”

we let Eun Jung cry her heart out. I feel numb at the things I just heard. It's so hard to believe everything. The dots connect by themselves. What Hyeon Jae said about Joon Hee making out with Hyun Mi became a triggering factor for my wife's murder. I find myself blaming Joon Hee again. But that's the least of my concern now. I just want to put Lee Hyun Mi in jail.

“Please, please. Don't arrest me. I have a family to feed in Jeju.”

I nod in the midst of her tears. Lee Hyun Mi will pay a high price for this.

“Thank you.” I say. I got lost in finding the right words to say.

 

 

“Can we just go home?” I ask Hyeon Jae as he starts the car.

“Why? Are you tired?”

“I want to have some rest.”

“Are you backing out?”

That question caught me off-guard. I roll my eyes.

“That's not what I mean. Everything is just too hard for me to absorb right now. My mind is filled with things.”

“I see. There's no backing out, Yoon Yoon Jae. This is all for Joon Hee.”

“Are you saying that I don;'t care about him?” I say, my voice raising a note higher because of his arrogance.

Hyeon Jae smiles. “Can't you be selfish for once? You're not the only one who can care for him.”

I look away. I admit he has a point.

“For ten years, Yoon Jae. All Joon Hee talks about is you. I care for him as much as you do. It hurts me to see him in jail because of something he can never do to your wife. Now if you don't shut the hell up, I'll do the next move alone.”

Before I can slam my hand on the dashboard and protest, Hyeon Jae speeds up to the main road.