Eighteen

His Reply

It’s been a couple of hours since I left Yoon Jae alone for this hospital duty. Dr. Jang suddenly needed my help on a patient suffering from epilepsy. I’m thankful for his call. It distracts me a lot from Yoon Jae. Right now, that’s all I really need.
I’m walking down the hallway when a familiar figure lying on the hospital bed is being whisked to the emergency room. It’s so fast I didn’t see clearly who it was. He seems more than familiar. A nurse walks by and I block her way to ask her something.
“Miss, what’s the name of the guy rushed in the ER?”
It takes a moment for her to answer.
“Ah…Do Hak Chan.”
“Really?”
She nods. “You can check his record at the information center.”
“Okay.” I say while worry creeps inside me.
As she walks past me, I snatch the phone from my pocket and dial up a number.
“Yoon Yoon Jae?” I say as soon as the other line picks up.

 

“Police says unidentified men beat him into pulp while Yoo Jung was knocked over. She’s in the other room.” Sung Jae says while I put Hak Chan’s dextrose in the right place. He lies unmoving on the bed, patches of bruises and scratches lining up his body. It feels like he’s dead thought I can clearly see his chest moving up and down.
I see Yoon Jae’s clenched fist. I know who did it again. He chooses to stay silent, carefully picking the right words for a sane answer.
“I hope he wakes up.” Sung Jae adds.
Just before Yoon Jae or I can speak, Yoo Jung bursts into the room with Shi Won trailing behind her.
“Hak Chan-ah!” Her voice brims with too much concern and worry. She holds his hand tightly. “Hak Chan-ah, I’ll really die if you won’t wake up.”
“Don’t worry, Moo Yoo Jung, he’ll wake up first thing in the morning.” Sung Jae says to comfort her.
“And if he won’t? I’ll really cut your tongue out, Bang Sung Jae!”
That puts Sung Jae into silence. He pulls a chair near Hak Chan and sits like all of us are not around. I steal a glance at Shi Won. She seems to understand what I mean. While Yoon Jae talks to somebody over the phone, she and I make our way out of the hospital room.

 

“What really happened, Sung Shi Won?” I ask. I close the emergency exit door while she walks to the Chair of Truth and sits on it.
“I…I tried to end it with Tae Woong.” she nervously replies.
“And then?”
“He hit me.”
Those three words are enough for pity to spike in my heart. I should be hating or avoiding her for ‘marrying’ Yoon Jae, but the situation has gone worse. It’s not right anymore.
She adds up something before I can speak.
“But I packed the rest of my things and left him for good.”
That got my heart speeding. It can mean more danger, and more jealous times for me.
“Shi Won-ah.”
She holds back her tears before they can flow freely down her cheeks. Though I know the upcoming days will be hard for us, I give her comfort as I wrap my arms around her.
“Joon Hee-ah, I’m sorry.”
Before we go back to Hak Chan’s room, I give her two medical patches. I’m more than sure the spot in her body where Tae Woong hit her hand will bruise.

 

But pain is more than just bruises and scratches. It cuts deep in the heart. It makes all of your body parts immobile. It throws all your logic into the drain. The slow, stinging and numbing rush flowing in your body doesn’t get better in time.
I watch Shi Won acting so sweet with Yoon Jae in the dining room. I try to hold myself together while my heart breaks in the fastest momentum.
They were just married. Of course they have to be sweet.
But it’s all for a show.
And Shi Won takes it seriously. Like duh!
I shake my head to stop this war inside my mind. I should stop watching them. It just doesn’t get better.
Sung Shi Won just thinks of herself.
I feel my heart shatter when she kisses him on both lips. I slowly close the slightly ajar door and mourn for my death again.