Thirty-One

His Reply

His warm body next to mine. That’s what I really missed in the ten years we spent apart. He has his arms around me, his warm breath heating up my neck. Our clothes are strewn all over the floor. It’s past 1 a.m. and here we are, awake after our passionate love-making. I don’t know if I can go to the hospital later.

“I’m sorry for everything.” I say.

“You don’t have to. I should be sorry.”

“I knew it was a tough choice for you, and for her too. I understand. I want you to make smarter choices from now on.”

“Yeah, and I’ll start with you.”

I turn around and look at him. He kisses my lips.

“You are my choice now, Kang JoonHee. I know I won’t regret it.”

A slight hint of worry crosses his face. “But what about Shi Won?”

“If you’re worried about her, then don’t be. This is what she wants for us.”

I didn’t hear it from her, but I can feel it in the way she touches my hand. She holds me tight but her hand is telling me to go where my heart really belongs. I let the tears fall down my cheeks. This is what I’ve been waiting for.

“I love you, JoonHee.” I say and kiss his forehead.

I love him. I really do.

 

The moment we got into the hospital, Shi Won’s mom meets us with red eyes and stuffy nose. Her hands are trembling and she seems dizzy.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Yoon Jae says.

“Shi Won is dead.”

My blood runs cold inside my body. I could feel a chilling sensation in my nerves. How did this happen? I feel weak to my knees. This can’t be.

Yoon Jae suddenly breaks down. His cry hurts me even more. My chest tears apart at this news. I failed. I didn’t save her. I don’t know how it all came into this.

“When? How?”

“At around one o’clock in the morning. A nurse injected an IV shot and then she never woke from her sleep.”

This is murder, not a natural death. This is a frame-up, and I feel like I’m the focus of the plot. I know someone who can take blood in her own hands.

“Where is she?” I ask.

“In the morgue.”

I step aside to let them talk. Hyeon Jae needs to know about this. I call him.

“Hyeon Jae, listen. I know it’s not the right time to tell this but…Shi Won is dead.”

 

The moment we got into the hospital, Shi Won’s mom meets us with red eyes and stuffy nose. Her hands are trembling and she seems dizzy.

“Mom, what’s wrong?” Yoon Jae says.

“Shi Won is dead.”

My blood runs cold inside my body. I could feel a chilling sensation in my nerves. How did this happen? I feel weak to my knees. This can’t be.

Yoon Jae suddenly breaks down. His cry hurts me even more. My chest tears apart at this news. I failed. I didn’t save her. I don’t know how it all came into this.

“When? How?”

“At around one o’clock in the morning. A nurse injected an IV shot and then she never woke from her sleep.”

This is murder, not a natural death. This is a frame-up, and I feel like I’m the focus of the plot. I know someone who can take blood in her own hands.

“Where is she?” I ask.

“In the morgue.”

I step aside to let them talk. Hyeon Jae needs to know about this. I call him.

“Hyeon Jae, listen. I know it’s not the right time to tell this but…Shi Won is dead.”