Fourteen

His Reply

“Joon Hee-ah, I’m sorry.”

I don’t care how horrible my voice sounds as long as I’m sincere in asking for his forgiveness. After I saw his bruises and scratches that Tae Woong left on his skin when he came home later that night, the burden and blame was all on me. Tae Woong is really bent on getting me back that he hurt my friend. I fight the tears welling in my eyes.

“I’m fine, Shi Won. Don’t worry about me. I’m glad he didn’t hurt you.”

Smacking him on the head might add up to the billions of pain he’s already suffering. I know better than to do that. How can he think of me when he’s been through so much?

“Yah, Kang Joon Hee. Don’t be such a jerk! You deserve to be pampered, you know?”

Joon Hee smiles. That sweet smile of his is a killer for those who suffer emotional pain. It’s the best thing about him.

“Do I? Maybe you’re just sick.” He says.

“I mean it.” I say, my voice shifting a bit serious. He doesn’t deserve the pain he got.

“Thank you, Sung Shi Won.”

I nod while thinking of ways on how to clean this mess.

 

Though pain shoots at every part of my body, I got a good sleep that night. It’s been one and a half day since Tae Woong mauled me in Dr. Jang’s office. I had no record of what happened to him after I out but the nurses told me he was dragged out of the hospital.

But all the pain seemed to subside when I woke up seeing Yoon Jae. He saved me from being killed by his brother. I can sense his willingness to protect me and I find it overwhelming. I can never ask more than that.

I am the happiest person on Earth when he kissed me. I didn’t dream of my fantasies becoming real, but if they are, I’ll welcome them with open arms.

I close my eyes and drift to sleep, praying that everything will be alright.

Praying that I’ll wake up in the morning in Yoon Jae’s arms again.

 

Kang Joon Hee is beautiful when he sleeps.

I’ve been staring at him for more than an hour, my body immobile so I won’t wake him up. There’s a colorful shade of innocence in his face and a kind of gentleness that I can’t see in any other person. He’s the one I can get comfortable with easily. He has the longest patience more than any person I met. His soft-hearted nature captures someone and share a memorable friendship with him.

I carefully pull myself out of bed when Joon Hee turns his body to the side. I make my way to the living room and stare at no exact spot. My thoughts are stopped when Shi Won sits beside me.

“Yoon Jae-ah.” she says.

“Go back to Tae Woong, Sung Shi Won. You’re making things worse.” I fire back, my voice laced with hostility.

She looks at me and plays with her fingers. Shame must have gotten through her skull after seeing Joon Hee.

“What?” I urge after soaking into silence with her.

“I’ve thought of a way so Tae Woong won’t chase after me.” she says.

Brilliant. Her brain can be useful at times. But I regret asking what that plan is when she answers me.

“How?”

She looks at me again, eyes full of determination.

“Let’s put up a fake marriage. We should be married in front of him. But of course, it’s just a show. Let’s –”

I stand up.

“Are you crazy?” I almost yell at her.

And I swear, in the corner of my eyes, I see Joon Hee eavesdropping at us. He quickly moves out of my sight the moment I see him.