019

Concealed Promise

Show us again,” Sunggyu ordered, glancing at Sungjong and Sungyeol. “Those two are not catching on.”

It was finally Wednesday, and the seven of them were going over the dance Hoya, Woohyun and Myungsoo came up with. They decided they would learn the dance in the morning and record in the afternoon. After dinner, Woohyun and Sunggyu were going to the movies for their first official date. They woke up at 6 in the morning to get breakfast and then to start dancing. This all meant a very grumpy Sunggyu.

They're doing the dance correctly,” Hoya stated, looking at Sunggyu.

then why does it look wrong?” Sunggyu asked, frowning.

Everyone exchanged looks, not sure what to say. They were afraid to tell Sunggyu that he was the one who was doing the dance wrong. Sure Sungjong and Sungyeol were slightly off, but that's different. Sunggyu was doing everything completely wrong, which was throwing everyone else off. Woohyun sighed and stepped up to his boyfriend, placing his hand on his shoulder.

Hyung,” Woohyun said, looking in to the angry hamster's eyes. “They're only thrown off a bit, that's why it seems off. The reason they're off is because... Well, um, y-you-”

Because I what?” Sunggyu asked, crossing his arms.

Because you're the one doing it wrong,” Myungsoo said bluntly, saving Woohyun from any possible fight with his boyfriend.

I am NOT doing it wrong!” Sunggyu hissed, glaring at Myungsoo.

Sunggyu,” Hoya said with a sigh. “I'm sorry to say it, but you are. I'm going to be very honest with you, because you're my best friend. The thing is... You at dancing.”

W-what?” Sunggyu asked, turning on him.

I'm sorry,” Hoya replied. “Woohyun... Please take Sunggyu and help him with his part. Teach him until he gets it right.”

Alright,” Woohyun said, grabbing his boyfriend's arm and pulling him aside.

Woohyun, am I really that bad?” Sunggyu asked with wide eyes.

I- uh-” Woohyun breathed, gulping slightly.

Answer me honestly,” Sunggyu said, looking in to his eyes. “A few months ago you would've...”

Honestly... Yes,” Woohyun replied, bowing his head in apology. “I'm sorry.

Thank you,” Sunggyu replied, surprising Woohyun. “Thank you for telling me.”

Y-yeah,” Woohyun replied as Sunggyu pulled him into a hug.

Don't be afraid to tell me anything, okay? I won't be mad, at least not at you,” Sunggyu told him, before pulling away. “Now this dance... Show me what I'm doing wrong.”

Before that,” Woohyun said. “Hoya hasn't realized this, but the dance will probably change up a bit once we add the lyrics. You know, depending on who sings when and what will fit where.”

That's fine. Just show me what I'm doing wrong,” Sunggyu stated.

Okay, follow after me,” Woohyun ordered.

Woohyun did a few moves, which Sunggyu awkwardly stumbled through. Woohyun laughed and walked over to him. He slowly explained each move. Sunggyu nodded his head and copied each move he showed him. Sunggyu seemed to like this way of teaching a lot more.

After a while of doing just that, Sunggyu seemed to finally get the moves down. He danced them all the way through with Woohyun, and then by himself. With that goal achieved, Woohyun deemed him ready to dance with the group. Woohyun smiled proudly at Sunggyu and slapped hands with him. After that, Sunggyu plopped down on the ground.

What are you doing? Shouldn't we go back to the others?” Woohyun asked, watching him.

Aish, let me rest! We've been dancing for an hour straight!” Sunggyu cried, grabbing a water bottle.

Alright,” Woohyun said, plopping down next to Sunggyu. “You're doing great, hyung.”

I know I am,” Sunggyu replied, smiling cheekily at him.”

Alright, let's get started!” Sunggyu cried as everyone gathered in the recording room. “This is definitely something I CAN do!”

That's because you're a music genius!” Sungyeol cried, grinning widely at his roommate.

That I am,” Sunggyu replied, winking at him. “Now let's get started. So the only time we sing as a whole is just the background vocals. We're not going to deal with that right this second though. Later in the recording we will. I'll list off how many parts everyone has.”

Sunggyu has the most,” Dongwoo added.

Of course he does. He's our main vocalist,” Woohyun said, causing everyone to nod in agreement.

Alright, so Sungyeol only has two very small parts,” Sunggyu started.

Why?” Sungjong asked, frowning.

Because he requested it. He's not confident with his singing,” Sunggyu replied. “Anyway, Sungjong has two, slightly bigger, parts. Myungsoo has four parts. Dongwoo one small part and a major rap. Hoya has two small parts and a major rap. Woohyun-”

Now you're just being biased!” Sungjong groaned, throwing his arms up in the air.

No he's not,” Myungsoo stated. “He's being fair and going by how much talent we have. Hoya and Dongwoo are great rappers, so they're going to get that part. Sunggyu and Woohyun are the best singers in our school, so they're going to get the majority of the song.”

Thank you Myungsoo,” Sunggyu said, looking at the boy. “Now anyway, Woohyun has seven parts and whatever background vocals I decide later. He can add something if he wants. And I... have the rest.”

How many do you have?” Sungyeol asked.

Around eleven,” Sunggyu replied, shrugging his shoulders. “Now anyway, let's get started.”

Who is in charge of the recording?” Sungjong asked.

Me,” a voice said as Boohyun entered the room. “Get in your places. We'll start with vocal warmups.”

So who is the better singer? Me or you?” Woohyun asked, walking over to stand next to his boyfriend.

Definitely me,” Sunggyu replied, grinning widely at him.

Is that why you have more lines? Between the two of us there is eighteen lines, so you could've split it up half and half,” Woohyun said, pouting.

I like it better this way,” Sunggyu said. “Since I'm way better.”

Conceited jerk!” Woohyun cried, punching his shoulder. “Do you really hate my singing that much?”

Of course,” Sunggyu said, laughing.

I hate you,” Woohyun declared.

I love you too, Jagiya!” Sunggyu replied, grinning.

The seven did their vocal warmups, and then the music started. Sunggyu stepped back and told Sungjong to sing the song first. This caught everyone off guard as they turned to Sunggyu in confusion. Sunggyu motioned for Boohyun to turn off the music. Everyone stared as Sunggyu, waiting for him to explain.

I want everyone to sing the song once on their own. This way it will make everything easier, so I know your singing range,” Sunggyu told them. “It will also help you memorize the song better. I'll help you with your pitch and tone. If there were to be a dire situation, it would be good if you knew the whole song and not just your part.”

Especially if the lead vocalist were to go to the hospital or something,” Woohyun stated. “That's pretty much half the song.”

I'm not going to go to the hospital,” Sunggyu said, frowning at his boyfriend. “Anyway, Sungjong, sing the song. Boohyun, start the music.”

Do I have to rap?” Sungjong asked as the music started.

Just do the best you can,” Sunggyu replied. “I won't mark you down for that. I don't expect you to get it perfect, considering even I can't rap. Alright, start... Now!”

Sungjong started singing the song, struggling on the first couple of lines. Sunggyu sighed and shook his head, writing something down in the notebook he brought with him. Woohyun tried looking over his shoulder at the paper, but Sunggyu pushed him away. He then continued to focus on Sungjong, writing down any notes he deemed necessary. He especially paid attention to Sungjong's actual lines, writing down any helpful notes to help Sungjong out.

Once Sungjong finished his part, Sunggyu told Myungsoo to go on up. Myungsoo did as he was said and started the song perfectly. Sunggyu made a few notes on the opening, considering that was his part. Then he wrote down other notes as well. When the others went up, he did the same exact thing.

When it came to his turn, he ripped out a piece of paper and handed it to Woohyun. He also handed him a pen, saying to write down any notes about his performance and his own parts. He then walked up to the mic and sang through the whole song. When the raps came along, he messed up through most of it and just stopped trying. Then he started up singing once again once that was all over.

When he finished singing, he grabbed the paper from Woohyun. He then looked around at everyone and told them they could relax for a while as he went over notes. He looked at Boohyun, telling him this would take a bit. Boohyun nodded and took out his phone, texting away on it. He walked over to the others, and Woohyun pulled him to sit on the floor with him, wrapping his arms around his waist.

Alright, let's go over the notes,” Sunggyu said, looking at everyone. “I'll just say this right now. There's one thing we all are getting wrong, even me, and that's the pace of the song.”

Wouldn't it be better if we sang it together, then?” Hoya asked.

I'm getting there,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “Anyway, Sungjong. You're taking too many breaths between words. Don't do that, okay? Before you start take a deep breath. Let it all go. And also, with your part, you did sing it correctly, but just put a little more emphasis on the hajima, okay? Also, don't be afraid when you mess something up, okay? I know it's your first run through, but you did great regardless.”

Okay hyung,” Sungjong said, nodding his head. “Thanks.”

Of course,” Sunggyu said, smiling at him. “And Myungsoo, Great. Job. I really enjoyed it. You did your parts exactly how I wanted you to. One thing is... you were just very blunt at some parts. Put more emotions into it, okay?”

Neh,” Myungsoo agreed, also nodding his head.

Okay, Sungyeol... You are way to quiet! You did great, especially with the raps, but you need to project!” Sunggyu cried. “And don't try too hard, because then you mess up the tone. Don't be so stiff, okay? As I said to Sungjong, let it all go.”

Okay hyung!” Sungyeol cried, nodding his head repeatedly.

Hoya... You're being so aggressive in your rap,” Sunggyu said, looking at Hoya. “Also, throughout the song, you would mumble your words. I know its your first time singing it, but don't mumble. But yeah, tone it down in the rap. It's not that aggressive.”

Alright hyung,” Hoya replied, frowning. “I'll do that.”

I'm not trying to be mean, okay?” Sunggyu said, looking at his friend. “I probably made mistakes too. I'm not perfect either.”

I get that,” Hoya agreed, giving him a small smile.

Don't be so sad,” Sunggyu said, before turning to Woohyun. “And YOU... Just, you're putting TOO much emotions in the words. You're trying so hard to get into the mood, that it's way too overpowering. Also, calm down while you sing. During your own parts, just keep that in mind. Also, talk to me before we do the group recordings. I have the background vocals I want you to do. Speaking of which, I have background vocals for everyone. We'll talk about that after the first couple recordings. Once we have the perfect one, we'll go through and add the background vocals.”

Alright hyung,” Woohyun said quietly, looking at the floor.

Yah, I'm not scolding you,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “I'm just giving friendly advice. Don't take this to heart, okay? You did great. You really did.”

Yeah,” Woohyun said softly, still staring at the ground.

Aish,” Sunggyu said, staring at his boyfriend for a while before turning to Dongwoo. “Dongwoo... I honestly don't know what to say... You did mess up a few of the words, but I guess you know the song enough. You wrote all the notes and even the whole song with me, so you have it pretty much down. One thing is... There's no high note in Sungjong's part. And during your rap, slow down just a little. You went a little fast there.”

Got it hyung!” Dongwoo cried, grinning at him.

And me... What did Woohyun write?” Sunggyu asked, looking at the paper. “'Hyung, aww, you're so cute when you sing...' Really Woohyun? Cut down on the cheese and be serious for once, okay? Aish. 'I love you so much, do you know that? But your voice... mine is definitely better. Your voice kept cracking throughout the performance and you looked very void of emotion. I want to say you were perfect, but I can't say that. You were awful in the rap, by the way.' Well, thank you for being honest.”

Sorry,” Woohyun said, still looking at the floor.

Yah, cheer up!” Sunggyu cried, hugging him tightly. “You really are a great singer, okay? And I love you too. You might not like hearing criticizing words about your singing, because I know I don't either, but that's what helps you grow as a singer. We want to win, right? We want this to be perfect, right? So that's why I need to point out any mistakes.”

I know,” Woohyun said, slowly hugging Sunggyu back. “I just don't take criticizing well.”

But you know I love you,” Sunggyu said. “I only want to help you. I want to help all of you.”


A/N WooGyu date next chapter~~~ 

Awww, I'm getting so many new subscribers! You know I love you all, right?? Thank you soooo much! I hope you love this story!

Please comment and upvote and continue reading this story!! :D

Also... congrats to Infinite for winning 3 awards these last couple of days!! And who else is excited for 'This Is Infinite' the new variety show??? Awww, that will be perfect!!!! <3 Oh, and Infinite V really needs to debut, I swear... WE NEED WOOGYU!

Guess what!! I made it in to the school musical!! I play a mouse, hahahaha.