013

Concealed Promise

Sunggyu tossed and his bed that night, thinking over everything that happened. He cried over his father. He won a singing competition. He kissed Woohyun. What did all this mean.

He could remember the feel of Woohyun's lips on his. It was a very short kiss, thanks to the blocking Lee Sungyeol. Sunggyu didn't know what possessed him to actually kiss Woohyun. He didn't even join their friends for the celebration because he was to embarrassed to face Woohyun. He believed that Woohyun hated him right now.

What was even worse was that he kissed Woohyun right in front of the teacher. Sure, it was a spur of the moment thing, but Sunggyu was still very embarrassed. He's confused on what his feelings for Woohyun are right now. He never thought he would actually liked the younger. Maybe he's now giving the boy false hope, because he really doesn't know his feelings.

Sunggyu groaned and buried his face in his pillow. He didn't want to think about any of this anymore. It was driving him crazy, and he just wanted to forget it all. He couldn't even sleep because images of Woohyun kept popping in his head. With a sigh, Sunggyu shot up in bed and looked around the room.

Sungyeol wasn't even back from the so called “celebration.” Sunggyu just sighed and shook his head, standing up. He grabbed his room keys and walked out of the room. He needed some air, and his closed room was definitely not giving him that. He walked in to the common room, which only had Yongguk and Himchan in it, who were playing video games.

Sunggyu sighed and walked over to the couch, plopping down next to Yongguk. Yongguk paused their game and him, noting Sunggyu's empty look. He quietly placed his hands on Sunggyu's back and started massaging his shoulders. Himchan just watched with sincere eyes, grabbing a hold of Sunggyu's hands. Sunggyu gave the both of them grateful smiles.

“I... I have a question,” Sunggyu finally said, looking between the two.

“What's that, Sunggyu?” Yongguk asked, giving him a fond smile.

“I know it's an awkward question to ask... But what is your guys' uality? Are you straight? Are you gay?” he asked them, blushing at his question and staring down at his and Himchan's clasped hands.

“Ah,” Yongguk laughed, patting Sunggyu on the head. “Don't be afraid to ask such a question. If you're not uncomfortable about it, I'd like to inform you that the both of us are gay.”

“We've been dating for three years now,” Himchan added, smiling at Sunggyu. “Why do you ask?”

“I thought you guys had a special relationship,” Sunggyu said, nodding his head and slowly looking up at them. “But the reason I asked is because I... I am gay, and I'm confused.”

“What are you confused about?” Yongguk asked, wrapping his arms around Sunggyu's waist and pulling him in to a hug. “You can tell us anything.”

“I... I did something tonight... And I'm not sure why I did it,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head.

“What was it that you did?” Himchan asked.

“I-I kissed a guy,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “It was just sudden. Neither of us saw it coming. I just suddenly grabbed his face and kissed him. I don't know why I did it, either. I mean, we used to hate each others guts, and now we're like best friends. I didn't even know I had feelings for him. I still don't know if I do.”

“Well, do you think about him a lot?” Himchan asked, sharing knowing glances with Yongguk.

“I mean, I guess I have these last couple of weeks,” Sunggyu replied, hesitantly nodding his head.

“Do you tend to share glances with him? Does your heart race when you're around each other?” Yongguk asked.

“We share glances with each other all the time. Especially when we were performing on stage today, we held eye contact for the longest time,” Sunggyu replied. “And I guess my heart does race a lot. I mean, I never thought of it before, but it races any time he's super close to me.”

“And you two used to argue all the time, right? Now you're best friends?” Himchan asked.

“Yeah,” Sunggyu said, nodding his head. “Now he makes me smile every time we're around each other. I laugh at every single one of his jokes. He knows how to make me happy. Now I feel the need to protect him every time we're together. He's the only one I can have long, serious talks with as well.”

“You my friend,” Himchan said, hitting Sunggyu's shoulder. “Are in love.”

“W-what?!” Sunggyu asked, looking up at him. “N-no, that can't be. H-how am I in love with him?”

“That was the best celebration EVER!” Sungyeol cried as he, Dongwoo, Hoya, Myungsoo, Sungjong and Woohyun came walking in to the common room.

Sunggyu and Woohyun immediately avoided eye contact, causing an awkward tension to fill the room. Sunggyu stared at his hands, shaking slightly. He could feel his whole face burning up. This position made him feel so useless and weak. He never wanted anything to get awkward between him and Woohyun.

“Sunggyu hyung!” Sungyeol cried as he and Dongwoo ran towards the couch. “Why didn't you join us? It was a celebration for YOUR win!”

“A-ah, sorry,” Sunggyu said, slowly nodding his head. “I- I wasn't feeling well.”

“Why are you acting so strange, hyung?” Dongwoo asked, cocking his head to the side.

“I don't know,” Sunggyu replied, shooting up. “Um, I'm gonna go to bed. Uh, W-woohyun, keep the prize money. You deserved it.”

“Uh, yeah,” Woohyun said, awkwardly nodding his head. His face was just was red as Sunggyu's. “Thanks.”

“Yeah, n-no problem,” Sunggyu muttered, before rushing out of the room.

The rest of the week went on with the two of them completely avoiding each other. They were both still trying to grasp on to their feelings for one another. When it came time for fall break, everything became even more awkward. Sunggyu stood in the parking lot with Woohyun, waiting for Boohyun to come along with the car. They were off to Sunggyu's house for the two week long break.

“You two ready?” Boohyun asked, pulling up next to them.

“Y-yeah,” Sunggyu said, getting in the front seat, next to Boohyun.

Woohyun took the back seat and immediately plugged in his music. Sunggyu just sighed and leaned his head against the window, not knowing what to say. The kiss kept popping up in his head, making him blush and shake his head. He's finally concluded that he DOES like Woohyun, but he didn't know how to go about his feelings. He and Woohyun had just became friends any way, so it was hard to accept his feelings when he didn't even know what Woohyun felt.

After about an hour and a half of complete silence, they made it in to Sunggyu's city. Sunggyu looked at Boohyun in surprise. Boohyun sped pretty much the whole time, wanting to get rid of the awkward tension. Sunggyu thought it would take at least two hours to get here, but that wasn't the case. After a couple of minutes, Boohyun pulled up to Sunggyu's drive way.

“You two are just so awkward, I can't take it anymore,” Boohyun said with a sigh, turning off the car.

“Sorry,” Sunggyu said, unbuckling his seat belt while Woohyun turned off his music.

“What happened to you guys to make it so awkward between the both of you?” Boohyun asked, frowning at the two of them.

“It's...”

“SUNGGYU!” a voice was heard through the window as Ryeowook, Shindong and Ilhoon came running outside. “SUNGGYU'S HERE!”

“Do those two live at your house or something?” Boohyun asked, laughing. “They're here every time I come.”

“Pretty much,” Sunggyu said, nodding his head. “Actually, Ryeowook lives next door.”

He opened the door and stepped out, only to be tackled by his friends. Sunggyu laughed and hugged them back. Ilhoon jumped around excitedly, running to Boohyun instead of his brother. While Sunggyu rolled around on the ground with his best friends, Woohyun stepped out of the car and stared at them with envy. Sunggyu noticed this and broke away from his friends.

“Guys, this... This is Woohyun,” Sunggyu said, motioning towards the said boy.

“You mean that who would always bully you?” Ryeowook asked, glaring at Woohyun.

“Yah!” Sunggyu shouted, punching Ryeowook’s arm. “Be nice to him. I mean it. We're friends now.”

“How are you guys friends?” Shindong asked, frowning.

“Hey, it's possible,” Boohyun said, walking over to them. “My brother can be a great guy when he wants to.”

“BOOHYUN HYUNG!” the two shouted, running to Boohyun and hugging him tightly.

“Uh,” Sunggyu said, awkwardly, and turning to Woohyun. “S-sorry about them. They hate anyone who is mean to me... Or was mean to me.”

“I-it's okay,” Woohyun said, stiffly nodding his head. “I can understand why.”

“Gyu hyung,” Ilhoon said, running up to his brother and hugging him. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too, bud,” Sunggyu said, laughing and ruffling his brother's hair. “How's high school?”

“Great! My friends are going to come today!” Ilhoon cried, grinning.

“Oh, that's a lot of people in one house,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head.

“A lot more than we're used to,” Ilhoon agreed, nodding his head and turning to Woohyun. “Hi, I'm Ilhoon, Sunggyu's little brother. You must be Woohyun. Sunggyu ALWAYS talks about you. He's very fond of you.”

“Is he really?” Woohyun asked, glancing at Sunggyu. “Does he still talk about me?”

“He does! He was talking about you just last-”

“Alright,” Sunggyu said, covering his brother's mouth. “Let's go inside.”

“Gyu, you talk about Woohyun?” Shindong asked, slinging his arm around Sunggyu's shoulders.

“Yes, I talk about Woohyun,” Sunggyu admitted as they walked towards the front door.

“Honestly for like three or four weeks, they were best friends,” Boohyun stated as he grabbed his and Woohyun's suitcases from the back of his car. “But something happened to the two of them and for the last two weeks they haven't said one word to each other. Or they would, but they would rarely talk.”

“Oh really?” Ryeowook asked with wide eyes. “Gyu, tell us what happened!”

“Aish,” Sunggyu said, ruffling his own hair and glancing at Woohyun. “We-”

“We kissed,” Woohyun finally said. “We kissed, and then Sungyeol interrupted us. Because of that, we weren't able to talk about what happened. And now everything's awkward between us, because we don't know how to face each other. You just need to give us some time to actually earn some courage to talk to each other about it.”

“Seems like you have plenty of courage right now,” Boohyun said, winking at his brother.

“Hyung, just leave it for now!” Woohyun groaned, scratching his head in frustration.

“Sunggyu, baby, you're home!” Sunggyu's mom, called, rushing out the door and pulling him in to a hug. “Oh my gosh, I missed you so much! How are you doing? You never call me!”

“U-umma,” Sunggyu gasped out, trying to push her away. “You're hurting me!”

“Oh, sorry,” she said, breaking away from the hug. “Omo! What did you do to your hair? It's too short, honey! I'm glad you died it black again. And where's your glasses?”

“Sungyeol took me out for a makeover a few weeks ago,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “He didn't like my glasses. I've been wearing contacts for a couple months now, actually. That's what I get for having friends like Hoya, Dongwoo and Sungyeol.”

“Ah, they must be really great boys! Why didn't they come too?” his mother asked, pulling everyone inside.

“They'll come sometime next week,” Sunggyu said, shaking his head. “You need to let me introduce our guests, umma.”

“I already know Boohyun-sshi,” his mom replied, hugging the oldest boy.

“Yeah, you know Boohyun, but you don't know Woohyun,” Sunggyu said, gesturing towards his neglected friend.

“Oh, you mean the boy you l-”

“Mom!” Sunggyu cried, hitting her shoulder. “Yes, this is Woohyun. Woohyun, this is my mother.”

“Nice to meet you, Mrs. Kim,” Woohyun said, bowing politely to her as soon as he stepped in the house.

“It's nice to meet you too, Woohyun-ah. I'm so sorry to hear about your parents,” Mrs. Kim said as she led everyone to the living room. “You're always welcome as a member of this family. We're always happy to have you!”

“Thank you,” Woohyun said, bowing once again.

“Now, have a seat and I'll get some lunch started,” Mrs. Kim said, leaving the room.

“Welcome to my home,” Sunggyu said with a sigh. “It's pretty lively.”


A/N Awkward WooGyu >< Don't worry, it won't be like this for long! You'll appreciate the next chapter! <3